Cost of putting out a short run 7 inch??

chaps

My friend and I have started a new band and just got done writing our demo. We are currently planning a budget and getting members together. We are releasing the demo for free online as well as a limited 7 inch. We wanna do 200. 140 on one color and 60 on another. We are going to screen print the covers ourselves to save $$. So I was just wondering if anyone had any rough idea of what the cost of colored vinyl in a short run like this would be? As well as links to companies that do short runs??

Thanks for any help!

I would get a copy of that. Maybe even both colors. Let me know! I have no idea about monetary values, though, sorry.

Awesome man! We really hope to get this going. Both nate and I (nate just started posting under "derbsauce") really only listen to vinyl and mp3 so we decided this was the best way to release this.

But we are going to record drums on january 6th then hopefully get guitar bass and vocals done within the following week or 2. I planned on posting info about it on the board if anyone wanted it. Possibly giving away a test press or 2 ;)

But I gotta find somewhere that will print 200 on some glorious colors.

most places wont break up color pressing in short runs.

use either

united record pressing

or

musicol record pressing

they are in the US and will do shorter runs.

BUT you will pay the same set up fee's and stuff. So you might be better off doing a couple hundred more to make your $$$ back on the records.

OR you can trade them all for holdsteady records like me

yea, small presses like that are expensive. you'll pay out the ass if you want a color switch, so i'd go with all one color, or see if united will do their overrun special (where they just dump whatever is left over at the end of the day and you get 23854 different colors), but i'm not sure if they'll do that for a run of 200.

most places wont break up color pressing in short runs.

use either

united record pressing

or

musicol record pressing

they are in the US and will do shorter runs.

BUT you will pay the same set up fee's and stuff. So you might be better off doing a couple hundred more to make your $$$ back on the records.

OR you can trade them all for holdsteady records like me

Thanks for all the info duder.

yeah, i'm about to put out a record for my band as well. short runs are always expensive. i wish it weren't the case. 500 seems like too many to sell and get rid of, but once the records are actually pressed, it seems like it would motivate you to sell as many as possible so you get your money's worth. i guess i'll find out.

its quite pricey. I did a 7" with united on 2 color runs of 100 each and lost my shirt. The finished product came out great for being totally DIY

How much was that if i might ask?? We plan to screen print the covers ourselves. .

I don't know how much it is, but other ways to save $$$ is to do lyric sheets/inserts yourself at Kinkos or something. Also, don't have the pressing plan make printed labels. Just go get a rubber stamp made with your band name and a couple ink pads and stamp each blank label yourself.

Is it really about making your money back? Should artistic vision be put on hold because you want to do something limited, fun, and collectable and you're not going to make money doing that? NO, I don't think so at all. Yeah, you're going to lose money out the ass but who gives a shit? Do what is going to make you happy. Is charging people 10 bucks a record going to make you happy? No, probably not. Charge 4-5 bucks and lose a couple hundred bucks, big deal. Trust me, you'll be happier in the end if you do this the way you want insted of doing it in a way in which you can make money or break even.