NBA Discussion

i agree with your assessment of lebron vs. kobe. but physical ability isn't what wins games in clutch situations, which is why i'll take kobe today over lebron. if i were picking to start a team for the next 5 years, i'd pick kobe. change that number to 6-10, and then it becomes lebron. but the difference is negligible. i'd kill for either of them on my team.

and yeah, howard was a tough decision for me between Tiers 2 and 3. i only put him in 2 because nobody else in the league right now is a true center, so nobody can really guard him. he has a lot of work to do to become a bona fide force to be reckoned with, in my opinion. right now he's just an incredible talent in an amazing basketball body. if he can improve his footwork around the rim, he could be one of the most dominant players of this generation.

from what i remember, kobe was just going to sign straight up. no trade involved.

the knicks are irrelevant. they're not playing for this year. T-Mac was once a really good player, but his days of usefulness are behind him. the knicks have been tanking the past 2 and a half seasons in preparation for this upcoming offseason. i can't wait til they land NOBODY.

Oh, I love Kobe. I think Kobe may end his playing time with the greatest career of any NBA player ever.

That was more meant to say LeBron could become a far superior player to Kobe if he ever got that mean edge. Not sure it'll ever happen.

There is no way in hell that LeBron will ever be viewed as FAR superior to Kobe. Im not saying that when they are both retired there is no chance that LeBron could have an overall better career than Kobe (He would need a lot of rings and stay incredibly consistent his entire career to even come close) but if he is seen as being a better player/having a better career when they are both done, it wont be by much.

okay, legit question here. give a serious answer, try not to be influenced by fandom.

how many rings will kobe have when he's done playing? how many will lebron have?

(and no, "more rings" does not necessarily equal "better player"... i know kobe had shaq and lebron has had nobody so far, that's not what i'm asking here)

i see the lakers winning it all again this year, and i think before he's done playing kobe will grab one more. that would give him six championships.

lebron just turned 25 in december. i think he can play until he's 38 years old. take away the 2 rings i think kobe will get and that gives lebron 11 chances to win it all. i know a lot depends on what happens this summer (and staying healthy, obviously), but i think 3 is a fair guess.

do these numbers sound crazy or realistic?

okay, let's talk about those variables. what do you think they are? are you suggesting lebron will have more than 3 rings? less than 3?

and the nuggets are a really good team, yes. but i just don't see anybody winning 4 games out of 7 from the lakers, especially if the lakers have home court. it would be a great series, no doubt. but i don't think the lakers can be beaten in a best-of-7 this year.

okay, let's talk about those variables. what do you think they are? are you suggesting lebron will have more than 3 rings? less than 3?

and the nuggets are a really good team, yes. but i just don't see anybody winning 4 games out of 7 from the lakers, especially if the lakers have home court. it would be a great series, no doubt. but i don't think the lakers can be beaten in a best-of-7 this year.

Any sort of injuries and where Lebron ends up and who is around him just to name a couple.

Also The Nuggets have already beaten the Lakers in both the games they've played this year. One at home and one in LA. Kobe played both games and Carmelo didn't play in the second one, which was LA's home game and in that game the Nuggets won by more than the previous one. The Nuggets bench is great too. J.R. Smith, Kenyan Martin, Birdman, Afflalo, and Lawson are all really good. I know the Lakers bench is too, I'm just saying.

i'm aware of what happened in the 2 games they've played so far, haha. i'm also aware of the importance the lakers put on the regular season compared to the playoffs. the regular season is just a warmup to them. granted, they weren't trying to lose those games, and i'm sure they'd have at least liked to win one of them. but they still know that when the time comes, they'll be ready.

again, i think it would be a great series. i would pick the lakers in 7 if they played right now. maybe later in the season one team will cool off a little bit or face an injury and i would change that prediction. it's not like i think the lakers would sweep. there's a reason why phil jackson has won 10 championships, though, compared to george karl's zero (and it has a lot less to do with the players they've had on their respective teams than you think).

For the Lakers/Denver stuff....Lakers will take care of them in the playoffs. I think Dan nailed it, it doesnt matter to the Lakers what happens during the season. I dont think anyone in the West can beat them in a 7 game series. It will be a great series and will definitely go 6 or 7 games. Im more scared of the Nuggets than just about any other team in the league. The Lakers do have Phil Jackson sitting on their bench tho. That never hurts.

I think Kobe ends his career with 6 rings and LeBron ends his with 3 or 4 but I think LeBron will have more MVPs. When they are both retired I think Kobe will be the better player and have the better career. A lot depends on where LeBron goes next or if he stays in Cleveland. The guy is a monster and he is already this good and he hasnt really had any help at all so far in his career. Imagine if he had Howard or someone like that on his team. It would only make him better which is kinda scary. Hes completely unmatched physically, except for maybe Howard. Him and Howard are both freaks of nature with how big and strong and fast and athletic they are. Kobe's just been doing it for so long already and Im sure that wont change anytime soon. While I have no doubt LeBron will just get better and be one of, if not the best player in the league for a long time he still has to do it. Kobe is just further along and you already know hes going to be consistent every year. Kobe is much tougher mentally and I think in the end, that will be what makes Kobe the better player.

Also, how about that shot Carmello just drained for the win in OT. That guy is an unbelievable basketball player. I dont think he gets enough credit for being as good as he is. Personally, I think he's right there just behind Kobe and LeBron. LeBron has a huge triple-double game tonite. I love the NBA right now, so may great young players. Just about every team has at least 1 or 2 guys who are really fun to watch.

Also, how about that shot Carmello just drained for the win in OT. That guy is an unbelievable basketball player. Personally, I think he's right there just behind Kobe and LeBron. I love the NBA right now, so may great young players. Just about every team has at least 1 or 2 guys who are really fun to watch.

I agree on the Carmello point. He's ridiculous. It doesn't hurt having Billups as the #2 guy either. Also on the Nuggets behalf, they just beat the Cavs on a night where you could argue Lebron had one of his best all around games of his career.

Also I thought this was interesting. In one of my Mass Communication classes they had the top 10 favorite sports in the USA and it went like:

1. NFL (30+%)

2. MLB (about 12% I think)

3. College Football (like 11%)

4. Auto Racing (like 9%)

5. NBA (like 8%)

It went on from there but everyone in my class was so shocked that the NBA was so low and lost out to Auto Racing. We have exchange students from China in there and they said NBA is huge over there and was definitely #1. I think this season will help it out though with how awesome it's been so far. I thought it was an interesting thing though.

Wow, the Celtics were able to win by a point in LA while Shannon Brown was playing crunch-time minutes. Big round of applause for those Celtics. A win is a win is a win but Kobe doesn't brick those shots like Brown did and doesn't allow the Lakers to score 2 points in seven minutes in the fourth quarter.

The Celtics bench played so bad last night, they had Brian Scallabrine (or whatever) out there last night. If the starters would have been able to keep up the lead like they had in the first quarter it wouldnt have been close but as it's been lately the Celtics let the teams come back on them and make the game super close. I hope Nate is a huge boost.

The Celtics bench played so bad last night, they had Brian Scallabrine (or whatever) out there last night. If the starters would have been able to keep up the lead like they had in the first quarter it wouldnt have been close but as it's been lately the Celtics let the teams come back on them and make the game super close. I hope Nate is a huge boost.

Seemed like Garnett was playing better than I've been hearing he's played all year.