mastodon box set motherfuckerrrrrrrs

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there have been any haters on here...now, if you glance over at some other boards, there is plenty of hatin' going on over there.

I can see why some people are uppity about it...$240 is a good chunk of change. But at the same time, a few people who purchased this, don't have any Mastodon vinyl. Myself included. So to me, it made sense to get it instead of tracking down all of their stuff and paying secondary market prices.

Guest noeffinidea
has anyone been able to figure out why this set is worth $237? sounds like some records in cardboard box.

Ok, how many people are going to continue bitching about the price of this box set. Let's look at it in simple terms people:

-If you don't have a complete Mastodon collection or just one or two of the albums...this thing is completely worth it. Considering the prices you would pay for the albums individually.

-If you have a complete Mastodon collection, well then it's up to you...still does not provide a reason to bitch about the price tag.

Think of it this way...think of how much it costs just to make 1100 boxes with gold foil stamping (and we all know the box looks helllla good) alone, plus the price of making 1100 slipmats and sticker sheets. Of course we don't know how much exactly what the production cost is for these items, but when you combine them with NINE 180 gram LPs, you can estimate the cost of each record being about $20...which really isn't bad at all (again, considering what their individual LPs go for).

Bottom line...if you want the box set that bad...then order it. If you think it's too expensive, then simply DON'T ORDER IT!!! Jeez, is it really necessary for more than 50% of this thread to contain posts complaining about the price?

Those of us who are Mastodon fans and don't have a complete collection should be grateful to Relapse for working so hard on producing a set like this. I'm sure they are completely aware of the value of Mastodon's individual LPs, and they wanted to provide fans with a great way to own their entire collection in one shot. Thank you Relapse for doing such a great job and turning out a quality product. This is right up there with the best pieces of my collection.

I think that the point that people are making about the cost of the set is that it should be based on cost of production and not the market values for the separate releases. It's not exactly the same, but kind of like if a label released a record on 2 colors, one /300 and one /700 and charged more for the /300. It's kind of dick to rip off the people who collect.

That being said, I don't really give a shit. I only really like Leviathan and Blood Mountain so this is definitely not worth it to me. I was just saying where I think people are coming from.

Also, it doesn't cost $20 per LP for 180g vinyl. I assume this box cost around $100 bucks max to make, although I'm not expert.

Guest noeffinidea

More frustrated at comments like: this just looks like some records in a box.

No sir...this is 9 beautiful 180 gram LPs in a beautifully designed box...a box that I'm sure cost enough to produce alone, nevermind the records.

It's funny, becuase massive people are bitching about the price of this...yet no one has a problem spending $50 on the stupid ass Melvins lp...ooo its colored, ooo its a box, ooo theres etchings on all the b-sides...

And don't get me wrong, I love the Melvins...but not enough to spend $50 on ONE album. Thinking about that set makes me feel even better for getting a complete discography for $240.

• 2 years later...

So no comments regarding pressing/sound quality on this release?

Really curious to find out about Leviathan expanded 2LP (especially if Megalogon is mastered to the same volume as the rest of the album!). On the single LP this track is waaaay quieter than all the rest.

I have the Remission purple vinyl and the sound is quite poor with lots of crackle in places. It doesn't feel like 180g either, more like 140ish.

So no comments regarding pressing/sound quality on this release?

Really curious to find out about Leviathan expanded 2LP (especially if Megalogon is mastered to the same volume as the rest of the album!). On the single LP this track is waaaay quieter than all the rest.

I have the Remission purple vinyl and the sound is quite poor with lots of crackle in places. It doesn't feel like 180g either, more like 140ish.