PO: Fordirelifesake LPs - covers in, vinyl soon!

[image]

It took four years and the band breaking up, but we finally decided to press vinyl versions of Dance.Pretend.Forget.Defend and A Daydream Disaster. However, there is a catch: We are only pressing 100 copies of each album and they will be available exclusively through Forge Again Records via mailorder and will NOT be in stores or other distros. Only 85 copies will be up for sale (as the rest will go to people involved with the production of the albums). Both will be on colored vinyl with silk-screened covers. Dance.Pretend. will be a single LP, while A Daydream Disaster (which contains the original CDEP, and the Fordirelifesake tracks from their splits with Wafflehouse*, Deluge, Hewhocorrupts and Endzweck as well as their song from the Compromise tribute/benefit comp CD) will be a 2xLP. This is a pre-order and the records will not ship until late January or February. If you order other items with these, the items will be held and shipped together. If you want something else immediately, please place a separate order. These won't last long so get them while you can. I am very excited to get these bad boys out finally. You can get your pre-order on right here: http://www.forgeagainrecords.com/fdls.shtml

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about ordering this until I realized it was going to cost me $58 CAD.

The irony of this statement is that just a few months ago Canadians were all pumped about that weak US dollar. Now it's YOUR turn to suffer! Bwahahaha.

Seriously though, I know this record is way too expensive, especially for non-US people, and it sucks. In the nearly 9 years I've been doing this label, I've done my absolute best to make records as cheap as humanly possible. I've always prided myself on having SUPER cheap mailorder and wholesale prices compared to most labels, and it is incredibly difficult to compete when I'm pressing 200 and 300 copies of a record and other labels are pressing 1000 and 2500 and they can actually SELL that many. The per-unit cost of pressing records decreases exponentially as you press more and more, but the reality of these releases is that they probably can't sell many more copies than I'm pressing. I do not run this label as a business. I run this label as a labor of love and I will not make one single cent on this record. In this case, the band isn't going to make anything either. If anything, I'll probably lose a few bucks per copy given the insane increase in prices in just about all aspects of production. The only people who will make ANYTHING from this release are the pressing plant, mastering facility, silk-screen company, and the USPS.

100 copies is an incredibly limited run and I understand that as a result of the price, this really only interests the die-hard fans of Fordirelifesake. I would love to press a few hundred copies and cut the costs per unit significantly so that the casual or potential fan could take a risk on this, but given the fact the band just played their last ever show, it's a pretty risky investment from a small label that only sold 400 copies of Fordirelifesake's first LP over the 3 or 4 years during which they were an active touring band (granted, the CDs sold a lot more than that). So again, I know these prices are ridiculous and I'm sorry about it. I really am. If you think about how much bigger labels and majors are charging for LPs these days (uhh, $19.99 for a single LP pressed in the thousands?) it doesn't seem so bad.

It is currently 6:20 in the morning. I just spent about 10 of my last 17 hours driving from Chicago to Detroit and back. I'm exhausted, but I had a great time. Wafflehouse* and Fordirelifesake were both great and it was totally worth it to make the trip. The band is totally psyched on this stuff coming out on vinyl and I hope a lot of you are too. Thanks to everyone who has ordered so far and for helping make this release happen. Finally, for those who want to order but are a little short on cash for a couple weeks, get in touch and maybe I can help you out by reserving some copies for you. While I don't want to sit on a ton of these waiting for people, I also don't want anyone who is as excited about this as I am to miss out on it because of holiday shopping and our shitty economy. Just drop me a line via PM or email or whatever and we can work something out for sure.

Thanks again and I hope everyone who really wants these records can get them.

Thanks for ordering. I really appreciate it. I hate doing pre-orders, but I couldn't logistically get this out in time for the last show and really couldn't afford to put together the $3000-4000 this is all going to cost on my own. Everything should be off and being pressed in December though, so this should be a quick turnaround compared to some of the insane pre-orders labels have been doing lately (6 months in advance????)

I haven't crunched any numbers or anything yet, but there should be copies for a little while hopefully. FDLS hasn't even posted it on their MySpace page yet though, so when they do it should probably provide a huge bump in sales. I'll try to keep a few on the side though, like I said. I don't want anyone to miss out!

Last show was soooo good. These dudes still sound incredible. Last time I saw them was without Brian Southall too. Ya know..... it wasn't that bittersweet for me. It's been so long since they've really done anything, I was kind of just resigned to them being done with, unlike when Small Brown Bike played their "last" Detroit show on New Years Day a few years ago (come to think of it... that was the last time I saw Rescue, too).

But yeah, I had a good time. Fucking AWESOME intro. I lol'd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good time for an update. Your questions will all be answered in this.

I received the test pressing for Dance.Pretend today. Sounded good. Giving it another listen and I'll approve it tomorrow most likely. Unfortunately, I won't have the label art until tomorrow, so even though it's approved BSCR can't run them until I get the labels in. No big deal, as I haven't gotten test pressings for Daydream yet (they called today to confirm that it was a A-B-C and there was no D-side) so they presumably ran those this morning and hopefully sent them out so I should be able to approve both and have everything ready to press next week in theory. So things are right on schedule as far as that goes. The artwork delays mean I probably won't have the covers until the second week of February, so it's a crap shoot as to whether the jackets or LPs will be done first.

Dance.Pretend is going to be on gold vinyl w/a little bit of black in the mix. Daydream is going to be on translucent neon/lime greenish vinyl. Both should hopefully match the artwork very nicely.

As far as the digital downloads, I do not own the digital rights to these records so I can not include the a download code of the new master. However, if SOMEBODY posts a link to download the album when the LP comes out, I suppose I won't sue anyone over it;) Things leak out, if you know what I mean.