Dumb question....

kirbs84

Is there any need to let it keep running? It will cause unecessary wear to your needle which will shorten it's life.

sometimes it happens to me. i'm listening to a record while doing a paper or some homework and i forget about turning it over. 95% of the time it automatically returns, but every now and then it gets stuck in that last groove and i sort of forget about it for a minute.

the needle doesnt run out of groove. The last groove is a loop groove so you dont have to worry about it hitting the label.

Fun fact: Some people have actually put music / sounds on the final groove to make a never-ending sound loop. I think The Beatles did it?

at the end of the latest spoon record, there's a continuous loop of a drum beat and guitar chord.

the needle doesnt run out of groove. The last groove is a loop groove so you dont have to worry about it hitting the label.

Fun fact: Some people have actually put music / sounds on the final groove to make a never-ending sound loop. I think The Beatles did it?

Liars did it on their first record.

Is there any need to let it keep running? It will cause unecessary wear to your needle which will shorten it's life.

sometimes it happens to me. i'm listening to a record while doing a paper or some homework and i forget about turning it over. 95% of the time it automatically returns, but every now and then it gets stuck in that last groove and i sort of forget about it for a minute.

Mine doesn't automatically return but I'm usually on the ball when it comes to lifting the needle before it even gets to the loop.

Last night I did let it spin for a while though whilst listening to the live HWM record. I got a bit drunk and started to think I was really listening to them play, my heart actually sank a bit when I heard the crackle of the loop groove! :(

Yeah, the beatles did do this, I want to say on Let It Be maybe. I can't remember for sure. Also, since the Less Than Jake Goodbye Blue and White record has those inside out songs on the inside, which I didn't know about at first, I left my turntable on all night once. Since I have an automatic turntable, I sometimes listen to records and fall asleep, but this one just kept spinning all night because the needle was stuck in the groove between the last song and the hidden song.

sonic youth's EVOL record has a locked groove at the end of expressway to yr skull, very good record

Yaphet Kotto did this on their second LP. The never ending loop says "Bush is a Dickhead" over and over and...

I once fell asleep to a record and woke up a good 11 hours later to it still spinning. It was a facepalm moment. It actually wore a deep groove in there and my needle was pretty shot, but it was on it's last leg anyway.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor has an album that has something in the exit loop that plays for eternity. I kind of enjoy the sound of it.