Adolf Hitler is denied birthday cake

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one factor that was left out of this whole "free speech" debate is that freedom of speech does not cover hate speech. Whether or not the name Adolf Hitler or the phrase "happy birthday Adolf Hitler" falls into the category of hate speech could still be debated, but I think it's reasonable that someone might refuse to produce those words on those grounds, and the racist family will probably encounter similar resistance to their "free speech" in the future as well.

Or maybe I'm speaking from a Canadian lens only...

I think one factor that was left out of this whole "free speech" debate is that freedom of speech does not cover hate speech. Whether or not the name Adolf Hitler or the phrase "happy birthday Adolf Hitler" falls into the category of hate speech could still be debated, but I think it's reasonable that someone might refuse to produce those words on those grounds, and the racist family will probably encounter similar resistance to their "free speech" in the future as well.

Or maybe I'm speaking from a Canadian lens only...

In America there are still limitations. Not on hate speech per se, but on speech that incites violence (because this is said not to be speech but action)

Nonetheless, naming a child Adolf Hitler doesn't even approach that, and like I said earlier, ShopRite is a private actor, and it can decide to write or not write whatever it wants on the cakes it sells.

That being said, the Patriot Act has placed considerable limits on free speech in America, but not with regard to hate speech of this vein.

Guest genericinsight

What city is that? I would like to live there too!

Philly. I mean yeah...once in a while someone hands you a pamphlet about your soul and i've been asked if I'm interested in taking a free stress test but for the most part no one really tries to convert me.

You're more likely going to be harassed for change or bothered by someone asking you if you'd like to give your credit card information to Greenpeace.

I had some dude try to convert me in LA once on the subway. And it happens more often than you'd think in NYC too.

My response to them is just tell them I'm already Christian, and if they try and continue the convo any further, I excuse myself and tell them I have to go.

That guy has free speech. However, he wasn't using his free speech, he was asking a company to put something that's offensive to 99.8% of the population on one of their products.

Call up FTD and say you want to send a card with your flowers that reads "Hey baby, your pussy is so fine" and see if they'll take your order.

You can force a business to help promote ideas they don't agree with under guise of free speech.

Obviously this asshole was just trying to get a rise out of people. Who puts their kids first and middle name on a cake, anyway?

Living in FL since I was 5, I've surprising never encountered in real white supremacists. About 60% of the people here are racists, but it really just seems like something for people to joke about as opposed to any real feelings of nationalism.

QFT: People in FLorida are racist as hell!!!! This whole name mess is really bumming me out!

Living in FL since I was 5, I've surprising never encountered in real white supremacists. About 60% of the people here are racists, but it really just seems like something for people to joke about as opposed to any real feelings of nationalism.

QFT: People in FLorida are racist as hell!!!! This whole name mess is really bumming me out!

Isn't saying something so general just as prejudiced as saying "all Italians are smelly"?

I am a person in Florida. And if you can point out a place that isn't racist, I would appreciate it.