DIY xmas gifts

rtw88

Anyone else do a lot of these? I prefer to make cool gifts for people because a lot of my friends are loaded and can buy anything they want. My girlfriend and I just finished this one up for my friend. It's inspired by something he saw in an art museum that he liked a lot. We're also working on a homemade Risk board for another friend that's anatomically themed. I'll post pics of that when we're done.

[image]

[image]

[image]

It's just a mirror on the back, and a piece of one way glass on the front so you can see through it but it reflects on the other side. The sides are just christmas lights behind a piece of plastic paneling.

cool. How much did it cost to make?

We already had the cabinet. We got it for free from a friend when we moved in. The mirror and one way glass cost $30 total. The paneling was $8, plus $4 for some adhesive and $4 for the lights. So in total about $45 I guess.

that's really rad!

i usually do art for people; it's my only useful skill and the only time i get to use my art degree.

this year i've been painting peoples pets on rocks, not only for my family, but ive been making a little extra cash by doing it for my co-workers for their presents for family members haha.

sounds weird but people go ga-ga over it.

This year I made a few people bowls out of old vinyl. There was a link here about it. Basically, you put a record over a bowl (open side up) with something heavy in the middle, put it in the oven at 150 degrees and wait til the record sinks into the bowl. The edges curl up and look cool. Anyone have the link, btw?

that's really cool. can you take a pic of the cabinet open?

i have that Wade - Organic Chemistry as well, what are/did you taking in school?

I just took my orgo 2 final this morning. Not sure if I passed it or not though. I'm on my third year. I was hoping to go to pharmacy school, but I'm pretty sure that ship has passed since I started school. I'll take a picture of the open cabinet tonight. Honestly though, it's really lame and kind of ruins the magic. I've got nothing better to do though.