my feelings on the HWM/ABF tour presses

this is a little rant i posted on another thread. but i thought it was worth posting here as well. these, are just my personal feelings. but i think i am completely warranted in feeling this way....

"supposedly the HWM merch table was making people promise that they weren't going to sell them on ebay. i don't know if some of these people know how absolutley bummed out it's going to make the people who are ACTUALLY going to the shows (many making long weekend trips for them, including myself), if they are not able to pick up one or both of these releases. i for one, have been really looking forward to this show and being able to pick up these two records. and i know that i'll be pissed to see them gone, knowing that people were buying multiples.

as for buying them, and trading them later, i'm all for that. but buying multiple copies to sell on ebay or give to people who weren't even at the shows...i think that is total bs.

the tour only copies are intended to be special momentos for the people who were there enjoying the experience, giving them something cool to hang on to. something to remember one of their favorite bands by, and the night they came back to let us all sing together one more time. anyway, that's my rant on it."

I can totally understand where you are coming from, but some people (myself included) just can not physically be there do to financial reasons or other commitments such as work/school. The only chance I have of getting it a copy of one of these records is for one of the fine people on this board to pick me up a copy. That said, is someone going to pick me up a copy of the Able Baker Fox record?

that's exactly my point. that's why they are called "tour presses". it's why they are intended to be so rare. because, usually, if you aren't at the show, you don't have a very good chance at getting one. intended to be sold for the people at the shows. in my personal opinion, i just believe that it is shitty for people to be hoarding such a rare record to give to people who weren't there to enjoy the show in the first place. it just doesn't give the people who are going to the show, and want one, a very good chance of getting one.

not trying to sound like the people who are at the shows "deserve" one or anything. if that was the case, they would have made like 1500 copies. all i'm saying is that it lessens the chance of people who are taking the time to be there, a copy. not trying to sound like a dick, or start shit via a message board, cuz i'm totally not "that guy". i just don't think it's very fair.

but then again, i guess all's fair in love and vinyl these days.

I can definitely empathize. I was lucky and decided to go to the first show, so I had no problem getting a copy of the record. However, had the Orlando show been one of the last shows I would be very bummed if after flying 3,000 miles and spending hundreds on airfare, cabs, hotel, etc. if I couldn't pick up the tour only record as a momento.

I can see both sides, I know if I weren't going to the show I would want a copy, so I can't say that people trying to get a copy for themselves are in the wrong. At the same time, it does suck for the people in Jersey or Chicago if they can't get their hands on a copy because flippers, traders, and people buying them for others took all the copies and I do believe the people at the show should get first crack at them.

All the complaining about No Idea grey, the Heavens LP, Deja Entendu, etc. and this guy gets shit because he's worried he might not be able to get a certain release? Everyone else on here bitches about flippers and stuff and all he's doing it saying he doesn't think its fair. Give him a break.

thanks dude. +1 ;D

My opinion is that the decision rests with the band. If they want to make special covers to commemorate a show and only press enough for the people who attend those shows, then limit the buying to one copy. If they want to sell them at the show but also allow others who don't attend to have a copy, then press extras and sell them on the no idea store.

One option is more "special," the other is more profitable. I don't think it's right to only press a small amount and then sell people 5 copies.

My opinion is that the decision rests with the band. If they want to make special covers to commemorate a show and only press enough for the people who attend those shows, then limit the buying to one copy. If they want to sell them at the show but also allow others who don't attend to have a copy, then press extras and sell them on the no idea store.

One option is more "special," the other is more profitable. I don't think it's right to only press a small amount and then sell people 5 copies.

They'd both be just as profitable, since everyone knows that a band like HWM will sell all of them, regardless of people buying 1 each, or 3 each.

Most tour covers are really just records that dont have their artwork ready before a band goes on tour. That is the case with HWM.

Funny you mention that. Someone told me that a while ago, but every tour version I have of a record just the tour cover, as well as the regular record w/ regular artwork.

i hope like hell by the time the jersey show rolls around (4 FUCKING DAYS!), i'll be able to grab one. i was a bit late on the HWM "fanwagon" as in, i saw only one of their shows before they unfortunately disbanded (but a fucking killer show, indeed. alk3, thrice, hwm, the movielife).

who knows what the future holds for HWM as far as records/tours go, so being in my home state seeing one of my all time favorite bands - possibly for the second and last time - it would KILL me if i couldn't have something as a memento of that amazing evening.

I'm one of the people who is getting one and didn't attend the show. I can understand why it would piss people off, but just because I can't make it to the show doesn't mean I should miss out too. Having someone grab one for me at a show saves me from having to pay an outlandish amount on ebay, which I'm sure is going to happen with some. Plus, if the band wanted people to get them as a momento of the show, it'd be one per person and they wouldn't have to charge $20 a whack to avoid flipping. Anyway, I hope you get one, but don't blame me if you don't. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

EDIT: First one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Water-Music-Till-the-Wheels-Fall-Off-Tour-Double-LP_W0QQitemZ180209236464QQihZ008QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm one of the people who is getting one and didn't attend the show. I can understand why it would piss people off, but just because I can't make it to the show doesn't mean I should miss out too. Having someone grab one for me at a show saves me from having to pay an outlandish amount on ebay, which I'm sure is going to happen with some. Plus, if the band wanted people to get them as a momento of the show, it'd be one per person and they wouldn't have to charge $20 a whack to avoid flipping. Anyway, I hope you get one, but don't blame me if you don't. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

EDIT: First one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Water-Music-Till-the-Wheels-Fall-Off-Tour-Double-LP_W0QQitemZ180209236464QQihZ008QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i say $100