What do I need to start a label?

thomas

really? that many of you are registered?

i could think that the irs would give two shits about me unless i have over 10 grand going in and out thats not accounted for. its not a priority id make unless i was making actual money off records.

have fun with it. its supposed to be fun. some make it not fun but at the end of the day and you see a record you put out and even just a little positive feedback it should make it worth your time (but probably not money).

I'm not registered or anything. It's totally DIY and just something fun to do, not a business, for me. I don't see the point.

my 68 year old general manager at my work found out i was putting out records and she started to talk to me about marketing ideas.

i like to refer to this as an expensive hobby.

side note, as a resident of riverside can you tell me how disgusting you find my logo to be?

side note, as a resident of riverside can you tell me how disgusting you find my logo to be?

You know, the Raincross is a really cool symbol. But as I'm sure you know it's been taken over by all the fucking bros and unfortunately it is now linked with a bunch of shit I don't want to be associated with.

Is that what you're referring to? Do you get a lot of shit for the logo?

You know, the Raincross is a really cool symbol. But as I'm sure you know it's been taken over by all the fucking bros and unfortunately it is now linked with a bunch of shit I don't want to be associated with.

Is that what you're referring to? Do you get a lot of shit for the logo?

thats basically what im going for, its a little tongue and cheek. its a weird homage to where i grew up but at the same time its a weird laugh at the bros who plaster the raincross all over their bodies/trucks. i dont actually think they'd know im kind of making fun with the logo. id actually like to make a shirt or sticker and hand them around and see if i hear "THATS FUCKIN SICK!" the "ghettofied" look is just taking the idea and going completely over the top while attempting to be next level. waaaay too much explanation for a terrible idea i had.

The only reasons I registered and would tell everyone to do the same is:

1) Tax write-offs. I don't care how DIY you are, why give away your money? I mean every penny I spend towards the label allows me to get money back in taxes, that then get put back in to the label. I've gotten multiple thousands of dollars in tax refunds each year. Sure I've paid an accountant $250 or so a year too but I come out on top every time. If you own a house this makes even more sense. Even some of your rent can be written off in certain circumstances.

2) Sales-tax free purchases. Granted you have to fill-out sales tax forms but most of the time I don't owe any sales tax because 90% of my sales are to distributors and out-of-state people.

You can say DIY and hobby all you want but those two reasons alone, to me, are reasons enough to go make it official.

what is the symbol suppossed to be?

The bell-thingy in his logo is called a Raincross and it's the symbol for Riverside, Ca. The symbol has been taken over in recent years by bros who plaster it on their lifted trucks, put it on t-shirts and get it tattood on themselves.

Just as a side note, bros in So-Cal are different from the Dave Matthews lovin, flip-flop wearin bros that the rest of the country talks about. These guys are total douchebags and are much worse.

[image]

[image]

[image]

1) Tax write-offs. I don't care how DIY you are, why give away your money? I mean every penny I spend towards the label allows me to get money back in taxes, that then get put back in to the label. I've gotten multiple thousands of dollars in tax refunds each year. Sure I've paid an accountant $250 or so a year too but I come out on top every time. If you own a house this makes even more sense. Even some of your rent can be written off in certain circumstances.

2) Sales-tax free purchases. Granted you have to fill-out sales tax forms but most of the time I don't owe any sales tax because 90% of my sales are to distributors and out-of-state people.

You can say DIY and hobby all you want but those two reasons alone, to me, are reasons enough to go make it official.

I'm not too "punk" or "DIY" to know these are good reasons, and I have thought about it. I will make it official one of these days. I just need to look into it more. Right now it's easier to throw away a few hundred bucks than to have to keep track of all sales and purchases I make.

This is why I registered. It's not hard and only cost like $100 in all I should get all that back in tax write offs.