holy shit

ps

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baseball
that's unbelievable

i should be kissing mrc on the mouth right now for selling this to me at cost on here a month ago

How about a nice pat on the back and we will call it even. glad i could help out

Haha, okay. Hopefully I can help you out some day with a record!

yeah we've definately hit critical mass, every once of sanity is telling me to dump my entire collection and then buy it back in like 6 months when people have come back to the real world.

i mean shit i sold that Brand New record for $100 more than than the last one posted on ebay.. and that one came with a ton of other rare brand new stuff.

people are buying BTMI! records on ebay that are still available from me, virgil, interpunk, and no idea for 2x the going rate.

its looney tunes.

people have always done that. I had these records for 8.50 on the distro site for months.

its not really anything new for this second. about 8 months ago when fucked up stuff was popular, i was selling the fucked up /haymaker 7"s for 20 bucks plus shipping buy it nows. i probably sold at least 20 of them, when at the same time (and still to this day), you can buy it from my site, and very distro, and ebullition, and probably 30 other places for anywhere from 3-5 dollars.

a little over a year ago i had the art of the underground boxsets in the distro for like 19 bucks or something for months, and never sold a single one. i put one up on ebay, and got 72 dollars for it. (no so coincidentally the day it sold for that i sold the other 8 boxsets in the distro that day)

this happens all the time.

conversely though, there are tons of people who rush out to ebay their items that used to go for 100 bucks, and are excited about making a ton of money, and then it ends up going for 6 bucks. example, isis stuff. a 1st press of panopticon on color that sold for about 150 dollars on its release just sold for less than the original selling price from the label. yet kids who have that in their collection still think its ebay gold, and refuse to trade/sell it, except for an outrageous offer.

its all about hype. and always has been. ive found that most kids (not pointing fingers at all), dont even listen to their records nowadays anyway. its all about taking collection pictures, and making recordnerd lists, and making their dicks seem bigger by having the coolest records. people are lazy and willing to spend a lot of money to be cool on the internet. next year this record will sell for 5 bucks, and some new hyped band thats available will sell for a lot to someone.

PS this was not an insult to the person who bought the gaslight anthem record from me if they post here. i couldnt care how much someone spends on a record, especially if they are buying it to enjoy it. but i dont really care what you do with it. just stating a fact about hype, and the record "market"

people have always done that. I had these records for 8.50 on the distro site for months.

its not really anything new for this second. about 8 months ago when fucked up stuff was popular, i was selling the fucked up /haymaker 7"s for 20 bucks plus shipping buy it nows. i probably sold at least 20 of them, when at the same time (and still to this day), you can buy it from my site, and very distro, and ebullition, and probably 30 other places for anywhere from 3-5 dollars.

a little over a year ago i had the art of the underground boxsets in the distro for like 19 bucks or something for months, and never sold a single one. i put one up on ebay, and got 72 dollars for it. (no so coincidentally the day it sold for that i sold the other 8 boxsets in the distro that day)

this happens all the time.

conversely though, there are tons of people who rush out to ebay their items that used to go for 100 bucks, and are excited about making a ton of money, and then it ends up going for 6 bucks. example, isis stuff. a 1st press of panopticon on color that sold for about 150 dollars on its release just sold for less than the original selling price from the label. yet kids who have that in their collection still think its ebay gold, and refuse to trade/sell it, except for an outrageous offer.

its all about hype. and always has been. ive found that most kids (not pointing fingers at all), dont even listen to their records nowadays anyway. its all about taking collection pictures, and making recordnerd lists, and making their dicks seem bigger by having the coolest records. people are lazy and willing to spend a lot of money to be cool on the internet. next year this record will sell for 5 bucks, and some new hyped band thats available will sell for a lot to someone.

PS this was not an insult to the person who bought the gaslight anthem record from me if they post here. i couldnt care how much someone spends on a record, especially if they are buying it to enjoy it. but i dont really care what you do with it. just stating a fact about hype, and the record "market"

To summarize:

Kids are lazy and stupid and willing to drop a ton of money on an over hyped record they aren't ever going to listen to, simply so they can seem cool and because they have tiny penises.

Unless you're the dude who dropped a kidney on the Gaslight Record I just sold...You're alright.

Just busting your balls. :-*

sort of. just seems like people are freaking out like its a new thing. or that now is the time to sell your records, like never before, and never again!!!!!!!

which may be true if you have current hyped records. buts its always the case.

a better summary might be, there always has been, and always will be a ton of awesome records that arent worth a lot MONETARILY, and there has, and always will be a handful of records that sell for a ton based on the hype. the only thing that changes is the band name on the record.

sort of. just seems like people are freaking out like its a new thing. or that now is the time to sell your records, like never before, and never again!!!!!!!

which may be true if you have current hyped records. buts its always the case.

a better summary might be, there always has been, and always will be a ton of awesome records that arent worth a lot MONETARILY, and there has, and always will be a handful of records that sell for a ton based on the hype. the only thing that changes is the band name on the record.

I agree. While I enjoy the Gaslight Anthem, they are hyped up right now and seeing as that is the first copy to hit ebay, a few kids drove the price up to $84. We might see one or two more come close to that mark, but afterwards I bet it doesn't sell more than $30. Once their second album is released and all the kids abandon them for some new band it won't be as valuable.

Unless its some band that has had great longevity (like NOFX) these high ebay prices never hold up.

90% of my collection is worthless monetarily, but I wouldn't trade it for any of the stuff people pay big bucks on ebay for.

It certainly is about timing. I know that when a band is active or about to release an album their stuff always goes for more. Conversely, I'd imagine my misspress of Propagandhi's PCL (1/100) would catch about $30 right now on ebay.

However, one must also take into consideration that the market is much busier than it has been in years prior. Fat is selling out of colored pressings in 24hours as opposed to the weeks it took only a few short years ago. The increased interest in vinyl has driven most ebay prices up in general, mix that with a band of the moment (or the first time an item is on ebay) and you have a recipe for an amazingly inflated price.

You're right when you say timing is everything. Im glad i sold off my entire LTJ collection back when it was worth a ton of money. Now they sell for nothing. Hot Water Music is hot right now. I bet if i decided to sell my Fuel for the Hate Game Cow Spotted 1st press/100, it might go for more than the Til the Wheels tour was going for.

You're right when you say timing is everything. Im glad i sold off my entire LTJ collection back when it was worth a ton of money. Now they sell for nothing. Hot Water Music is hot right now. I bet if i decided to sell my Fuel for the Hate Game Cow Spotted 1st press/100, it might go for more than the Til the Wheels tour was going for.

If your cow spotted /100 fetches what that tour version of Til the Wheels... went for then I'd be seriously tempted to put my half black half white Fuel... /50 up for sale.

i dunno. record buying is definitely up.

but the market being busier is sort of misleading though. for instance Funeral Diner's album The Underdark technically sold out and went out of print even before its release date. however, after a year and a half of being out, you can still find copies in some distributors, and stores. or the me first and the gimme gimmes "cash" record. it "sold out", but thats only because places like hot topic ordered hundreds and hundreds of copies, and now you can find multiple copies of them at hot topics.

there are more stores stocking vinyl, and more distros, etc. and those places are buying more copies of records than previously.

so the market as a whole is up, but that doesnt necessarily translate to more records being worth more. i would bet there are the same amount of hyped overpriced records selling on ebay right now as there was 5 years ago. its just a different crop up right now than people are used to seeing.

in general selling records now wont net EVERYONE more now than before. just depends on timing. your records that were worthless 5 years ago may be worth a ton now, but there are just as many people whose records were worth a ton 5 years ago thats not worth a lot now (once again im speaking monetarily/ebaywise)

I think it has a little to do with the uptrend in popularity for vinyl. You get people on eBay who make dumb bids, early bids for way too much, and get in to competition bidding.

Yeah I refuse to get in bidding wars. If it's something you never see, then fine bid strong but for items that are up fairly regularly wait it out. The first copy of PIB Goliath went for $40 or something. By the time I got a copy it was down to $17 and a copy went after that for like $10. The people who need that record the minute it becomes rare are the ones who always lose out.

I think it has a little to do with the uptrend in popularity for vinyl. You get people on eBay who make dumb bids, early bids for way too much, and get in to competition bidding.

Yeah I refuse to get in bidding wars. If it's something you never see, then fine bid strong but for items that are up fairly regularly wait it out. The first copy of PIB Goliath went for $40 or something. By the time I got a copy it was down to $17 and a copy went after that for like $10. The people who need that record the minute it becomes rare are the ones who always lose out.

Yep, I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to bidding philosophy. I was so pissed last week. There was a copy of Goddamnit! I noticed mentioned a BIN that was gone. Turns out it was removed because someone bid $24.95. Now I'm not sure why, as they weren't going to win it for $25 but they killed the BIN (which was $150). While the BIN is steep the record went for $132. You can't win rare records for a song, stop trying and fucking over those who are willing to pay a fair price. Grr.