Makoto split 7" series -- what happened?

For those who don't know what the Makoto split series was, this guy named Joel Wick (the same guy who used to put on Michigan Fest) ran a label called Makoto Recordings, and in the spring of 2001 he announced plans for as 12-record split 7" series to be released two at a time every other month. The cost was $55 to subscribe, and the following bands were to take part:

small brown bike. cursive. lovesick. aloha. dead teenagers. sweep the leg johnny. ted leo. radio 4. berwer. trocar. tight bro's from way back when. oxes. inside five minutes. 90 day men. the casket lottery. the good life. monoglot. haymarket riot. crush kill destroy. the honor system. the mercury program. q and not u. the eternals and more...

Each record was limited to 2,000 copies with really nice packaging and hand-numbered for subscribers only, and subscribers would also get a bonus 7" at the end of the whole thing.

After months and months of delays (and zero updates), only four records ended up coming out:

Vol. 1: Small Brown Bike/Cursive

Vol. 2: Lovesick/Aloha

Vol. 3: Sweep The Leg Johnny/Haymarket Riot

Vol. 4: Tight Bros From Way Back When/Inside Five Minutes

After Vols. 3 and 4 showed up, there was absolutely no new information ever made available from the label's website. Then sometime between October 2003 and April 2004, the label's website vanished, and presumably, so did Joel.

My question is this: Does anyone out there know what happened to the guy? And to a lesser extent, the other 8 installments of this series?

not sure what the post of the question is.......the dude ripped everyone off, and still ocassionally sells stuff on ebay.

everyone knows the dude is a rip off, and no one really seems to ever do anything about it.

He does? Do you know his username? I'd love to track him down, even only to see if he has the audio from those unfinished 7"s.

all i know is these releases all looked really nice. i liked all the artwork/vinyl matching. the only one i have is the sbb/cursive split (un-numbered) i wouldnt mind having the numbered one and the rest of the ones that were released... if i remember correctly they usually go for a pretty good amount on the bay.

if i am not mistaken he changed the name of his label at some point to makoto. i do recall someone telling me that he used to run a distro or label and ripped a bunch of people off. he took that down and started up makoto. i could be wrong....i dont know the guy, its just something i heard a long long time ago.

you can just get a silver pen and put a number on it. its not like there is anything special or different about the numbered ones.

also i dont think most of the later planned splits ever got recorded, and/or the bands ended up using them for other releases.

yah cause that makes sense, let me just go ahead and number every record i have in that case. anyone want an Alkaline Trio Goddamnit LP #12/1,000?!?

no im not saying that.

i was just saying that with a lot of numbered releases there is something different, art, or even just a line on the back cover that has a spot for the number, or its stamped or something.

these were just written randomly with a silver pen at some random spot. nothing different. which is a bummer, cause it meant there really was no reason to pay all up front and wait for them all to show up, since you could have gotten the exact same version cheaply in a store.

Might as well make that number 1 of 1000. Why start at 12. You're just underselling yourself!

On an unrelated "Wow... where's my fucking money" note. 8 years ago I sent $40 to Pushead to join the Phase San (or 3) of his "fan club" which was supposed to include 4 or 8 records (I can't remember anymore) as well as bonus stuff. I never received a single record from it. I've mailed Pushead many times over the years to find out what's going on with it and he just says "it's on hiatus", which near as I can tell means "I stole your money".

I guess I have a bunch of page long hand written letters from Pushead, which in 50 years may be worth a mint. But right now I'm out $40!

• 6 years later...

Bump from the dead because I interviewed Sean from Thoughts Of Ionesco last week and we talked about this (TOI put out records on Makoto). He said he hadn't thought about Joel in years and years, then all of the sudden dude hit him up on LinkedIn, of all things. I told him to ask Joel for my money back!

Bump from the dead because I interviewed Sean from Thoughts Of Ionesco last week and we talked about this (TOI put out records on Makoto). He said he hadn't thought about Joel in years and years, then all of the sudden dude hit him up on LinkedIn, of all things. I told him to ask Joel for my money back!

since I am relatively new to this forum (last year) I never saw this original posting but I also subscribed to this and still own all 4 of these.  I had always wondered what had happened..

I also bought other releases from Makoto too.  

I would have rather had the records then my money back!  they looked amazing.

since I am relatively new to this forum (last year) I never saw this original posting but I also subscribed to this and still own all 4 of these.  I had always wondered what had happened..

I also bought other releases from Makoto too.  

I would have rather had the records then my money back!  they looked amazing.

Seriously. That lineup STILL makes my mouth water: Ted Leo, Radio 4, the Good Life, the Honor System... So much good shit that never saw the light of day.