Underrated Albums

Mander Salis by The Snake The Cross The Crown

I Am The Fun Blame Monster by Menomena (if most people only knew how they recorded this album and even constructed the songs)

definitely.

about face by the working title

anything by despistado

an electric trace by sylvie

dream signals in full circles by tristeza

s/t by the swell season

fall/winter/spring/summer by jon foreman-i think a lot of people skip this because its associated with switchfoot, which is a mistake...it is so amazing (i dont really like switchfoot)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know where I might be able to get this or any other Reactionary 3 stuff? For purchase and for download?

I think reactionary 3 eventually became Moonraker if memory serves me right not sure how much they put out under reactionary 3 though

Backwards. Moonraker was around long before Reactionary 3. Reactionary 3 is Travis Fristoe from Moonraker, Mike from Fiya, and someone else.

Ryan - Reactionary 3 has the split LP, a 7 Inch, and a tour CDR that I know of. Check at Wayward, I think Travis may still work on Sundays there. (I haven't been up there in about a year and a half though)

The Mae Shi-HLLYH

Word to this. At least Pitchfork got it right - they put it in their top 20 for last year.

Pedro the Lion - Winners Never Quit. This is the best concept record I've ever heard. A story of 2 brothers - one a promising young politician, the other a hopeless fuckup. The album begins with the first brother telling a story about how while he 'stayed on the narrow path', his brother was always getting into trouble, and how he'll be greeted warmly in heaven for the righteous life he's led. As the album progresses, the good brother's true self is slowly revealed, showing his shady political dealings, his wife finding out and trying to rat him out, his futile attempts to justify himself to her ("They pervert the words of godly men / For their own selfish gain / I took their wrong and I took their lies / and I made them right, I made them right"), and the bloody conclusion in Never Leave a Job Half Done. Prideful to the end, the good brother spends his final minutes trying to reconcile his own actions to himself ("Though I've only done what's right / Even with my conscience clear / I can't help this flood of tears") before taking his own life. Meanwhile, the "bad brother" is drunkenly begging with a cop that he can't arrest him, because he promised his good brother he wouldn't "further shame the family name". The climax comes in Bad Things to Such Good People, where all the characters meet. The brothers' parents cry out to God that they've taken the wrong son, as the bad son contemplates his failures. The album ends with the bad son realizing he has been given a second chance to live outside the shadow of his brother, and he should actually be grateful for his perceived failure. The import version of this album ends with an alternate version of the first track, now juxtaposing the good brother's prideful words with the full story we've just heard and bookends the album nicely. The entire album is so intertwined, not just lyrically but musically. Almost every song contains a riff from a previous song, meant perhaps to recontextualize the message of the old song with the new one (example: the guitar line after the first verse of track 5 recalls the "Dear, unlock the door" part from track 4). This album is genius, and yet I often see it as people's least favorite Pedro album. I mean, it's the only full length to still be in print on vinyl if that says anything.

I know, I know. tl;dnr. But this is an album I feel really passionate about as someone who has felt like a screwup because my failures are more public than those viewed to be model citizens.

all of third eye blind's non-single stuff is underrated.

they always released the catchiest songs, definately not the best.

though i suppose a lot of bands tend to do that.

I'm still surprised that the only Bad Religion song that got airtime from The Process of Belief was Sorrow. Lame and surprising, it was a great song, but definitely not the best on the album.

the ghost - this is a hospital

ghosts and vodka - addicts and drunks

jets to brazil - four cornered night

the sidekicks - so long, soggy dog

the wunder years - fashion over function

i'll think of some more later...

forsure agree with:

the ghost - this is a hospital

the wunder years - fashion over function

and i will forsure add The Honor System - Single File forsure!

matchbook romance-voices

silverchair-diorama

suicide machines s/t (mad solid pop record i thought)

all i can think of at the moment

also, im gonna be the guy that says pinkerton just to say it cuz its always gonna b in every underrated album list til the end of time etc....and its freakin amazing etc.

Waiting In Seville by Seville

This is backed. It's waaaay too short, but is great all the way through. I also think Garrison-Be a Criminal should be more popular.

Twelve Hour Turn and Ink & Dagger should also be universally beloved by anyone who likes post-hardcore.

Gonna try to find some Ink and Dagger stuff now. My Twelve Hour Turn collection is growing nicely.

In order of hardest to get:

Fine Art of Original Sin

Most 7"s

S/T

Love is Dead 7"

S/T is fucking phenomenal. Highly recommended.

I've been buying tons of shit that you've been recommending like Eulcid and Twelve Hour Turn. It's all pretty ace.

Glad I could be of service. Check out Bats & Mice if you get a chance. Four Hundred Years, too (I may have mentioned them already).