In line vs. on line

andywax

I moved to the Northeast last year and have noticed peoples' use of the term "on line." For example, when they're at a a store they say they're waiting "on line." I'm originally from Texas and we would say waiting in line. For awhile I thought they were talking about being on the internet. I guess it's just semantics, but it's just kind weird.

oh, you silly texans.

but in this case, i'm siding with you and going with 'in line'.

i've lived in PA my whole life and i've never heard anyone say 'on line' to refer to something other than the internet.

This. People tell me I have a super Pennsylvanian accent. Do Pennsylvanians even have accents?

oh, you silly texans.

i've lived in PA my whole life and i've never heard anyone say 'on line' to refer to something other than the internet.

This. People tell me I have a super Pennsylvanian accent. Do Pennsylvanians even have accents?

incidentally, two of my best friends are from other states (texas and new york) and both of them tell me i have a 'pennsylvanian' accent. they cant even name specific things i say, they both just insist that i have an accent lol

you are not alone! we do not have accents!

oh, you silly texans.

i get the "philadelphia" accent comments, but i've never heard of a pennsylvanian one.

i get the "philadelphia" accent comments, but i've never heard of a pennsylvanian one.

Oh god I get this too. People from outside of PA say I have a PA accent, and when I go home people tell me I have a Philly accent. Is it because I say "wooder" when I say "water" really fast? I have no idea. At least I don't say "wurter" like they do. The biggest thing I hated growing up in South Central PA was when people would say "warsh" instead of wash.

it's an east coast thing. they're just weird out there.

on a related note, it's a sub sandwich, not a hoagie. not a hero.

i use 'sub' and 'hoagie' pretty much interchangably lol.

I do this too. The one thing I hate is when people call them grinders though. It sounds unappetizing. I wish I had money for a veggie hoagie right now. Nom.

Oh god I get this too. People from outside of PA say I have a PA accent, and when I go home people tell me I have a Philly accent. Is it because I say "wooder" when I say "water" really fast? I have no idea. At least I don't say "wurter" like they do. The biggest thing I hated growing up in South Central PA was when people would say "warsh" instead of wash.

my friends who are from the suburbs tend to notice it the most. "why do you say wooder" is the most common thing. apparently i say "on" weird too.

oh, you silly texans.

You do have accents.