Record Store of the Month: Reckless Records (Chica

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

You might find it contradictory that I have recently decided to feature a brick and mortar record store each month. You might ask, "Aren't other record stores your competition?" To that I would say that they are no more competition for me as other record labels are to Suburban Home. I will always have a soft spot for mom and pop record stores as my introduction into the music industry began by working at Rocky Mountain Records and then later at Wax Trax. I love record stores and hope there will never be a day that people have no idea what a brick and mortar record store is.

That said, I am excited to bring you our first Record Store of the Month, Reckless Records. Dave Hofer, Reckless' Milwaukee Ave new-product buyer should be a name you have read before. Dave was our November 2008 VCCOTM, he is a member of our messsage board, and he is a big supporter of what we do at Vinyl Collective and Suburban Home. I also recently got to hang out with him and his girlfriend the last time I visited Chicago which was a highlight of my trip.

Dave was kind enough to answer my questions about vinyl sales, hording new vinyl arrivals, things that smaller indie labels can do to get his attention, some of their best selling vinyl titles, what he would like to tell people who have never walked into record stores, and more.

Please take the time to read this interview as I think it is really interesting. Dave is one of the good guys and Reckless Records has been an institution to the musical landscape of Chicago. Also be warned that we are planning some kind of cool contest involving Reckless. Stay tuned.

In the comments or on our message board, please suggest other great record stores that we should feature in future installments. Thanks Dave!

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/03/04/record-store-of-the-month-reckless-records-chicago/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckless is awesome! And I like the fact that you are featuring small shops like this on your site. I'm sure a lot of us on here travel often and this totally helps out.

If you get a chance you should feature Flat Black and Circular in Lansing, MI. The shop has been in the same location for probably 25 years or more and it's a great stop for all genres of music. Good prices too!

http://www.myspace.com/flatblackandcircular

I went to the Reckless in the Loop last Friday and was pretty underwhelmed at the selection, honestly; I just felt like I was looking at my own record collection -- not very many things that piqued my interest. Maybe I just own too many records now.

Still, Reckless is almost always on my itinerary any time I go to Chicago; I've definitely gotten plenty of sweet deals there before. (None More Black 7-inch for $2.99? Yes please!)

I went to the Reckless in the Loop last Friday and was pretty underwhelmed at the selection, honestly; I just felt like I was looking at my own record collection -- not very many things that piqued my interest. Maybe I just own too many records now.

Still, Reckless is almost always on my itinerary any time I go to Chicago; I've definitely gotten plenty of sweet deals there before. (None More Black 7-inch for $2.99? Yes please!)

the one in the Loop is pretty much a joke. I go in there occassionally to see if they have a new release or something, but aside from that it's rare I ever find anything worthwhile.