Damn You Seal!

caffiend

I was witness to something kind of funny/sad the other day.

I was at my local record store with my friend, and we were waiting in line to check out. The guy in front of us was having some sort of problem.

Apparently, he had tried to purchase a new Seal album/single on 12". When he opened it up to look at it, inside was NOT a vinyl record, but a piece of cardboard shaped and printed as if it were a vinyl record with a CD stuck on it.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? It was funny because it was such a ludicrous thing to happen, but it was kind of sad because my friend was making of fun of the Seal record because he thought I was buying it.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

I was victim to something kind of funny/sad the other day.

I was at my local record store with my friend, and we were waiting in line to check out. I was buying the new Seal record.

When I opened it up to look at it, inside was NOT a vinyl record, but a piece of cardboard shaped and printed as if it were a vinyl record with a CD stuck on it.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? It was funny because it was such a ludicrous thing to happen, but it was kind of sad because my friend was making of fun of me for buying the Seal record.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? I'm embarrassed.

I've seen that Seal thing in a store. The store near me it has a huge sticker on it that says "This is a CD, not a record."

in the same way that you could purchase a CD case with full artwork that contained not the CD itself but a coupon to download the MP3s.

stupid marketing ploys.

• 1 month later...

I heard that Billy Joel's first cd (offhand, I believe "The Stranger" was issued in an LP jacket so that it would fit in the record displays that the stores had. No one was set up for the smaller cd packaging. Which is also why they had long-boxes for such a long time to fit into the LP shelves and still be seen.