Major Record labels are killing it for collectors.

I'm fucking stoked that records are being re-pressed. I completely stopped entertaining the idea of paying bunches of money of OOP records on eBay. Because they're bound to be repressed eventually, if they haven't already. I love collecting records, but fuck looking around forever for some album you love and then paying an exorbitant price for it.

i love collecting variants of the release which i enjoy or i'm stoke when i saw the news of pre-order.

order multiple copies from pre-order doesn't make me sick as release show/tour/festival/final show/friend/or whatever press.

sometime it make me feel like collecting records is not a hobby for far eastern people like me....

I think the bigger issue is the over pricing of the major label represses. Beatles represses retailing for $25-$40 and such. Its as if one person saw an opportunity to do something cool for music fans (re release albums on vinyl) and then the bean counters realized they could inflate the prices. That's what bums me out.

But the hunt is totally not dead. I found Look Mexico - This Is Animal Music at Planet Records in harvard square in boston along with a cheap copy of Springsteens Born to Run, awesome day.

But the hunt is totally not dead.

and if anything its harder, having to weed out the represses if that's not what you're looking for. but if ebay is ruining it for you, why not set some constraints for yourself and stop using ebay or any other internet site? it doesn't have to be a bummer.

I get the idea, of represses, but sometime i have to wonder, ill be standing in a record store holding an album that say something like direct from the capitol vaults its SUPERTRAMP. Are they serious? what supertramp fan DOESN'T need "take the long way home" on 180gram?!? ;)

I have all the Ramones original pressings and somebody the other day, put on the repress of Rocket To Russia. I swear , if i had a listening test i could tell the difference, those represses, just seem i dunno , less warm? i dunno how to explain it , or maybe im just bat shit crazy !

I have all the Ramones original pressings and somebody the other day, put on the repress of Rocket To Russia. I swear , if i had a listening test i could tell the difference, those represses, just seem i dunno , less warm? i dunno how to explain it , or maybe im just bat shit crazy !

i think there was a discussion a while back on digital recordings being used instead of the original analog or something?

i think there was a discussion a while back on digital recordings being used instead of the original analog or something?

I read a really long article about this, maybe it was linked to here? It was about all these record company employees finding warehouses full of master tapes and they had been told to just trash it all or reuse it for other stuff. There was a ton of old blues & jazz that may be lost forever in its original analog form, as well as a bunch of pop and rock groups. I'll try and find it, it was a really sad yet interesting read.

Edit: http://www.billholland.net/words/vault.html

Guest markovianprocess

I think it's interesting debating that owning the rarest variation of a record means you own a special part of that bands history. Surely by spending ridiculous money on eBay on some rare colour where none of that cash goes to the artist is the wrong way to go if you want to really support an artist.