photo critique me!

Some girl who did work experience with us a few months ago sent in some "professional" live shots from a tour our mag put on. They were fucking terrible and i have just finished sending them back. Digital cameras have done almost as much harm as they have good, finding decent photographers is like trying to uncover a diamond in a sea of shit.

edit: this is in no way a dig at anyone here by the way, i actually love loads of the pics everyone has posted!

i agree with you 110%.

people like that also make it 10 times harder for the people who actually invest time & money into our chosen profession. they get an slr & think that means they too can take fabulous photos. charging a reasonable rate for promos/anything like that is nearly impossible, because bands flock to these two-bit 'photographers' who will do stuff dirt cheap or for free.

absolutely, we are lucky to work with some brilliant photographers who can produce incredible studio and live shots but they very rarely get asked to do a press session for example because some people offer them for free to "get their name out there". They don't realise that doing this is selling everyone short, they can't suddenly "make it" and start charging £5000 for a full press campaign because people will expect it for free by default.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best thing about digital cameras though is the ability to see what you just shot right away and take thousands of pictures at once and chose the best, most interesting ones. probably some of my favorite ones were those bacteria mats inside a tunnel, and i couldn't believe they came out looking good.

also, i'm a complete amateur. main reason i started doing this was because i liked hiking so much, and this kinda came out of it from the interesting stuff i'd find.

best thing about digital cameras though is the ability to see what you just shot right away and take thousands of pictures at once and chose the best, most interesting ones. probably some of my favorite ones were those bacteria mats inside a tunnel, and i couldn't believe they came out looking good.

also, i'm a complete amateur. main reason i started doing this was because i liked hiking so much, and this kinda came out of it from the interesting stuff i'd find.

Totally agree, the good points definitely outweigh the bad, the massive cut in processing costs for photographers, originals that aren't going to degrade over time ect are awesome. But like i said, in terms of professional photography over the last four years or so there has been an explosion of people with all the gear and no idea flogging their poor services for next to nothing and taking the business away from guys who are the real deal.

How did you guys get into doing photography? It's weird looking at these and not really knowing what to pay attention to.
Some girl who did work experience with us a few months ago sent in some "professional" live shots from a tour our mag put on. They were fucking terrible and i have just finished sending them back. Digital cameras have done almost as much harm as they have good, finding decent photographers is like trying to uncover a diamond in a sea of shit.

edit: this is in no way a dig at anyone here by the way, i actually love loads of the pics everyone has posted!

I am by no means a "professional" photographer. I just found myself in a very unique situation that I figured would be a crime not to take advantage of. Going on the road all the time and seeing the world and getting paid to do it? The least I can do is spin some dials and press some buttons. It's fun. I know what you mean about every asshole with a DSLR fancying themselves a "photographer". Just like every asshole with a blog is suddenly a writer. I just do it for the fun, the thrill of the hunt, and so that I have some memories of my awesome life later on when it's not as awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thank you all very much! i'm really trying hard to take nice pictures at shows because there are a lot of very stale photographers out there. i'm also currently trying to get my foot into the photo biz door, although all of the pictures i've taken so far are just out of a pure passion for music and cameras.

oh yeah, and all my work is shot on film with manual focus. no digital SLR's in here! people at shows always think i'm a bit weird because of that, but different strokes for different folks...

huge fan of Ryan Russel's work

meh, i can think of a lot of photographers whose work i like a lot more. cool that he shoots mostly with film, though. personally, i think it's kind of stupid that he sells tshirts with his name/face on them.