Why we need audiophiles.

The above is the sad truth, for modern artists. I personally can tell the difference when I get a record, as to if it was recorded completely digitally. Shit like circa survive for example, there is no way they recorded it to tape, and you can tell. I still prefer a record to a cd even if it was digitally recorded though, because at the same time most recording studios will record at higher than 44.1khz, and they will likely send the actual master of the higher bitrate for pressing. Unless they are sending them the 44.1khz down sampled mix, which I would still buy over cd.

There are a few things I take umbrage with in this article. A well cared for, well pressed vinyl record played on a decent turntable and stereo will have no pops, crackles, skips, hiss, or hum. Why a guy who paid a quarter million dollars for his stereo setup is playing beat up records is beyond me. I don't play those type of records on my "modest" $4k stereo.

The above is the sad truth, for modern artists. I personally can tell the difference when I get a record, as to if it was recorded completely digitally. Shit like circa survive for example, there is no way they recorded it to tape, and you can tell. I still prefer a record to a cd even if it was digitally recorded though, because at the same time most recording studios will record at higher than 44.1khz, and they will likely send the actual master of the higher bitrate for pressing. Unless they are sending them the 44.1khz down sampled mix, which I would still buy over cd.

this is why i don't buy too many new records

My setup cost me <$20. None of the records I listen to are ever going to sound that much better to make it worth the money to invest in a killer setup.

Maybe, maybe not. But you're not doing your records any favors by dragging a stylus on them, that came on a TT costing less than $20.

The turntable is fine. It's a Sony something or another. I just paid 6 bucks for it at a garage sale, so that's why it was so cheap. I'm actually going to get a new stylus soon.

Look, man. Either spend $2K+ on a turntable or GTFO. Don't forget the $20k speaker cables.

ps I think those will be my first upgrade when I get some money.

I don't think tapes are the greatest thing ever, but I think it's cool just because it's something special. A lot of bands seem to go through the trouble of handmaking the tapes, as opposed to sending off mp3s to cd or vinyl manufacturer, which makes it seem like they're into what they're doing. Also, kind of like vinyl, it's a more involved listening experience clicking an mp3 or skipping tracks on a cd.

I don't think tapes are the greatest thing ever, but I think it's cool just because it's something special. A lot of bands seem to go through the trouble of handmaking the tapes, as opposed to sending off mp3s to cd or vinyl manufacturer, which makes it seem like they're into what they're doing. Also, kind of like vinyl, it's a more involved listening experience clicking an mp3 or skipping tracks on a cd.

I have to side with Ryan. I don't think anyone is arguing that they are a superior format for listening. They are just, well, neat. They are nostalgic to most of us.

ps I want more CDs housed in floppy disks.