I hate getting records in the mail

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't ship records media mail. Every time I've sold a record and charged $2-3 for media, I always talk myself into paying the few extra dollars for priority/first class - I just rest easier knowing that the post office will take at least a little better care of someone else's stuff.

I meant I upgrade more so because I get real excited when I know stuff is on its way and I want other people to get their records as fast as reasonably possible. They paid or traded for it so there's no reason to keep someone elses stuff.

I don't mind waiting for records especially in a trade but I can be totally impatient when it comes to ordering from a label or distro. I don't fire off emails or complain I just get bummed when there's nothing in the mail. I usually order a good amount of stuff so who wouldn't be excited to get a dozen or two records in the mail?

haha...J-DOGG!! proof by image. nice.

as much as i love you guys....i have to respectfully disagree. most of the records i get from vc are the record(s) placed in the mailer with the order receipt on top. thats it. no bubble wrap. no extra cardboard. and the record itself is never taken out of the sleeve.

Yep. Just received 2 LPS and 2 - 7" from Vinyl Collective packed poorly (IMO) mailer with the order receipt on top. No bubble wrap. No extra cardboard and the record itself was not taken out of the sleeve.

Both LP had bashed corners and because the LP was not taken out of the sleeve - the sleeve was split.

Guest markovianprocess

I've actually just found a new favourite record store, so I won't be ordering online now unless I have to. It'll be nice to get the records and be stoked and then get to listen to them on the same day. Sometimes getting records in the mail is cool, but when you're dealing with people who won't pack them properly and postal carriers who don't give a shit it starts to get a bit tiresome.

Guest duhpunk

I got a record a few weeks ago that came in a huge box full of packing peanuts. Corner was a little dinged, but I got it super cheap.

I've honestly only gotten one package from VC so far and it came fine. They keep they're shipping low so I understand the need for them to keep their pacakges light.

Everything I have gotten from VC board members has been great as well. Juan knocked it out of the park.

I'm hoping for a big mail day today and I hope the ebay stuff comes fine!

9 times out of 10 a record shipped in a simple LP mailer will arive intact and well.

the bubble wrap really does very little and is a pain to get ahold of. i suppose those cardboard inserts serve a purpose, but if a record get manhandled by the postal service to the point that the jacket/LP inside is damaged, i doubt the cardboard insert is going to offset that a whole lot.

i understand everyone wants their records to arrive in pristine condition every time, but it just isn't realistic. it's the nature of the beast. it's also very expensive to pack records like the guy on the first page apparently expects them to be packed unless you managed to accumulate the supplies from other incoming records. even then so few labels ship that way that im betting you dont have a stockpile of bubble wrap at your house.

this would just be so much easier if people stopped viewing LPs as baseball cards and realized that jackets will wear, seams will split, covers will develop ringwear, LPs will scratch. use common sense, don't ship in a bubble mailer, make sure the package is taped so it wont open during transit, and a large majority of the time you will have a successful LP shipment

I recycle a lot of materials. Bubble wrap is availible at any office supply store and not very expensive at all. I don't think its much to ask when buying a record from an indivdual to place a piece of extra cardboard under the lp and wrap it in bubble wrap. It adds very little cost and takes 2 extra seconds. Why would you half ass something when taking those extra steps is so simple? I've gotten lps just loose in an lp mailer that have gotten banged up corners because it has so much extra room to move around. The bubble wrap softens the corners and will help eliminate that. If relapse has the time to take an lp out of a sleeve and packageit this why, why doesn't your average trader?

I have a stockpile of bubblewrap, cardboard and mailers just from buying records. I very rarely sell or ship records but I package them as best and sturdy as possible. it really doesn't take much extra effort. and honestly, the records I've gotten priority have been the most banged up. single LP's especially. you're better off ordering a few records to fill a mailer out!

I got a record in the mail the other day that was crushed and covered in oil. Thick, black oil. When I opened it, I was surprised to see that not only were the records inside in fine order, but they also did not belong to me. I have no idea how they came to me, but I emailed the record label they came from and then shipped them back.

While Media Mail is slow, as long as the records are packed well I've never had a problem (sending or receiving). It all comes down to packaging. If a record is packed poorly, even Priority Mail won't help.

Yep. I have gotten some beat to hell packages that were fine because of good packing, and some pristine packages full of fucked up shit due to poor packing.

[image]

I had a great one the other day... It was a large priority box as pictured above and it had a 7" record in it loose. No materials nothing ... just a lone 7" record left alone to bang the shit out of all of the corners. It made me so happy! ;D;D;D

Let me guess, Interpunk? They are notorious for shipping things loose in oversized boxes.

i have found that when we get records in from rainbo records, the jackets get fucked in transit. With the jackets for the L.arms Ghost Stories, there was a box of jackets that was busted open VIA UPS. i don't believe it to be 100% possible to get a perfect copy of a record. shrink wrap already fucks the corners. mike has made it a point to no longer get shrink wrap or records already packed with jackets.

just got a fifteen record in the mail a few weeks ago....nothing but the record. off ebay from a store with great feedback.

before that some kind sir from this board ADAM (with some # who is no longer on the board) sold me a LTJ box set.......he decided not to send it untill i made a paypal claim. when it showed up....in an evelope...i just about shit myself. BOX WAS FUCKED, RECORDS WERE OK.

before that some kind sir from this board ADAM (with some #) sold be a LTJ box set.......he decided not to send it untill i made a paypal claim. when it showed up....in an evelope...i just about shit myself. BOX WAS FUCKED, RECORDS WERE OK.

Same thing happened when i bought my LTJ boxset off of ebay. box is flattened to all hell. sucks so bad.