PO: MURDER BY DEATH / AMANDA PALMER(dresden dolls)

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

MURDER BY DEATH / AMANDA PALMER split 7"

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/vinylhome/Items/MBDap7IN

Murder By Death are releasing 7 records in a 7" series where they trade covering songs with other bands they know. The third 7" will feature MBD performing Amanda Palmer's "Another Year" and Amanda Palmer (of Dresden Dolls) covering Murder By Death's "3 Men Hangin".

Each release is limited to a pressing of 1000 records and will not be repressed.

The 1st 7" was with William Elliott Whitmore, the 2nd was with O'Death. This has been a great 7" series and I am excited to see the future editions, I think Lucero will be on a future edition.

We should have the vinyl in a few weeks.

What do you expect for $7.50? A clean record?!

The band sells these at shows for 7 bucks, V doesn't have much say in price. He's got to make a living too, and the wholesale cost here is a bit higher than normal. If the record is "dirty" its probably because of where they were pressed not properly cleaning plates or any number of other things. it isn't like Virgil pours dust on the records before they're sent.

I'd like to point out that even though I know it wasn't directed at me, my complaint about the filthy record wasn't directed at Virgil either.

I said something to the merch guy at the show the other night, who looked at their "table copy," which was also covered in bullshit. Even though it looked exactly the same, he said, "well, this one's been sitting out every night on tour." I didn't even bother asking him to check another one.

What do you expect for $7.50? A clean record?!

The band sells these at shows for 7 bucks, V doesn't have much say in price. He's got to make a living too, and the wholesale cost here is a bit higher than normal. If the record is "dirty" its probably because of where they were pressed not properly cleaning plates or any number of other things. it isn't like Virgil pours dust on the records before they're sent.

I'm not talking about Virgil, I'm talking about the band. $7 is nuts, even with the cost of vinyl up.

i believe the cost is 7 bucks each because the band presses every single record themselves. this includes the 10 foot fold out double 10inch. in my discussion with adam he told me that they basically broke even with the double 10inch 10foot once they sold every single copy. it was extremely expensive to press.

i'm sure the 7 dollar price tag is basically due to the fact that they are fronting the total cost of production and trying to make a bit of profit.

in case anyone new to this thread missed this...i interviewed adam awhile ago here regarding this series:

http://vimeo.com/2302355

Guest Admin

yes, I know $7.00 is a high price tag for a 7", but man 7" vinyl is absolutely expensive. People don't have a problem spending $8 to $12 for a CD and CDs cost less than a 7" to manufacture (sometimes half the cost).

I think the higher price tag is because they are being really cool with their split artist to make sure they make a little money for the 7" and I think that they are covering recording costs, too.

This series will be completely sold out at some point and you will see that $7 is a bargain to what some folks will end up paying.

Trust me, I hate to see us sell 7"s for $5.99 but our costs have just gotten out of control. It almost makes me want to stop putting out 7"s

Guest Admin
Trust me, I hate to see us sell 7"s for $5.99 but our costs have just gotten out of control. It almost makes me want to stop putting out 7"s

You can't stop making the UTI series sorry buddy!

I don't plan on stopping it anytime soon, but I just had to explain why 7"s are so damned expensive

• 1 month later...

sorry to bump this old thread,

but can someone confirm to me that maybe also ordered this if VC has gotten their copies in?

I placed an order way back when that included this and it hasnt shipped yet and I am positive everything else in the order has come in by now, so I wanted to get clarification on this before I emailed andy for an update.

Thanks for the help