Green Day, Riverdales, Number 27?

[image]

From Wikipedia:

The band's logo is the number 27 with a circle around it. Very few people actually know the meaning of it. It is known that all three original members of The Riverdales have the logo tattooed on their flesh as does Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Adam Woronoff from The Leftovers, and many fans from all around the world. The logo has made various appearances including the Screeching Weasel album Teen Punks in Heat. There are no plans to ever reveal the meaning of the number. As Ben Weasel said, "What good’s a secret society if it’s not exclusive?"

Anybody know what this signifies?

my only guess would be maybe they're paying homage to all the amazing musicians throughout history that died when they were 27 years old...?

Some secret society. Dan cracked your one secret in like 2 minutes.

I don't wanna be an American idiot.

You sound pretty sure that that's the answer, I highly doubt it.

well maybe it's not so much paying homage as just like, serving as a reminder that a ton of people have made a HUGE impact on music/society by the time they were 27, and that you can die at any time so you might as well live it up and make an impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

i'm not saying i'm right or wrong, i'm just saying that's my guess. i wonder how old they all were when they got those tattoos. maybe ben was 18 years old and wasn't the selfish fucktard everybody claims he is (i don't know from any first-hand experience with him, so i can't comment knowledgeably on the subject) when he originally got it?

i'm not saying i'm right or wrong, i'm just saying that's my guess. i wonder how old they all were when they got those tattoos. maybe ben was 18 years old and wasn't the selfish fucktard everybody claims he is (i don't know from any first-hand experience with him, so i can't comment knowledgeably on the subject) when he originally got it?

I know what you're saying, and it's a decent guess. He is still putting that logo on everything the band does so it must have a very strong signifigance.

I am saying you are right. I AM SHOUTING IT!

Further, I think you and I should get your avatar as a tattoo.

On Pinhead Gunpowder's EP "Shoot the Moon", the only song that Billie Joe wrote for it was the song "27". Because of (I assume) his contract with Warner, the song is credited to "Willam Fink", but thats Billie's pseudonym that he's used for a long time now.

I'm not sure if theres any connection to the Riverdales 27, but it's something to think about.

Lyrics

I'm not seventeen

And going on nowhere fast

A decade lost in the East Bay fog

Birthday cards thrown in the trash

Last years' calendar

On the wall, collecting dust

My friends say to tear it down

But instead I'll leave it up

And now I'm 27

Driving to the 7-11

When I turn 28

Will I end up losing faith

Promises decayed

On expiration dates

New Years resolutions sold

To the bums out on the street

What was it all worth?

And was it worth the while

Lost and found and ten years down

And torched it to the ground

Will I still stand in line

When I turn 29?

But now I'll take a number

And it reads 27

On Pinhead Gunpowder's EP "Shoot the Moon", the only song that Billie Joe wrote for it was the song "27". Because of (I assume) his contract with Warner, the song is credited to "Willam Fink", but thats Billie's pseudonym that he's used for a long time now.

I'm not sure if theres any connection to the Riverdales 27, but it's something to think about.

Lyrics

I'm not seventeen

And going on nowhere fast

A decade lost in the East Bay fog

Birthday cards thrown in the trash

Last years' calendar

On the wall, collecting dust

My friends say to tear it down

But instead I'll leave it up

And now I'm 27

Driving to the 7-11

When I turn 28