going to california for a week and a few days

Guest adam526

If you're into the whole scenery thing there's the '17 mile drive' in the city of Carmel. It's like a ten mile road with different stops and viewing points. It's pretty amazing.

where is Carmel?

also, I am pretty sure of this, but I doubt we'll do any shopping. just wanna do the whole sight seeing thing, go to a beach or two, get eaten by a shark or three...

so far the plan is

san diego for 2 1/2 days

drive up north of LA at night

next day drive up the coast to somewhere on route 1 off 101

spend a day there

then drive to sequoia national park, drive to yosemite that night

day at yosemite

drive to san fran

spend 3 days at san fran

so any ideas/suggestions of eateries (we dont eat red meats)/historical places on route... that'd be wonderful :)

When you make the drive to route 1 you'll actually won't be too north of LA. You'll be west in Santa Monica, basically. There's the Santa Monica pier that's pretty sweet with tons of good but slightly expensive places around it.

I think the plan is to take route 101 up to san luis obispo and then get on route 1 there. I think we really want to avoid LA if possible... neither of us are that interested in going there

You're missing out, there's a ton of good about LA's surrounding communities like Santa Monica and Hollywood.

So you're driving the 5N from San Diego and taking that to the 101, which you're talking to SLO? That's like a 5-6 hour drive?

yeah, the driving part is nothing to me, im a road warrior when it comes to driving in terrible traffic/long distances.

we just don't have enough time to really do LA with everything else we'd like to try to do. maybe another trip we'll spend just in LA and the surrounding areas, but for this one were bypassing it.

If you're into the whole scenery thing there's the '17 mile drive' in the city of Carmel. It's like a ten mile road with different stops and viewing points. It's pretty amazing.

Id recommend taking the 17 Mile Drive in Carmel. Its fucking awesome.

do you know how far out from san francisco it would be? I think that might be something we might do at the end of the trip?

You're missing out, there's a ton of good about LA's surrounding communities like Santa Monica and Hollywood.

So you're driving the 5N from San Diego and taking that to the 101, which you're talking to SLO? That's like a 5-6 hour drive?

yeah, the driving part is nothing to me, im a road warrior when it comes to driving in terrible traffic/long distances.

we just don't have enough time to really do LA with everything else we'd like to try to do. maybe another trip we'll spend just in LA and the surrounding areas, but for this one were bypassing it.

Cool deal man, totally understand.

There's some trails in SF by something called "The Cliff House" - that area is pretty fantastic. Also, you could do a walking tour of SF that takes you through Chinatown, Little Italy, up to Coits Tower, and then down to Fisherman's Wharf. Just look at a map and plot your way.

Golden Gate Park is pretty cool too.

okay, so a few new questions.

where are some nice beaches in san diego?

does anyone know of any good deals on hotels and/or have a hook up? :)

still looking for beach suggestions, got our lodging situated for San Diego, does anyone have any suggestions on places to stay in San Fran? Any information on the Hostels in the city?