computer nerds: help a fella out

Guest afsdan

Well, the new PSU died today. A week out of the return window. Fantastic. Oh well, I think I'm going to part it out and salvage what I can.

Huh. Did you have an electrical storm hit yesterday or today?

Burning two power supplies in a month kinda makes me wonder if something is causing it but it could just be a fluke. Are you sure you got a power supply with enough power for your computing needs? Maybe want to go a level or two higher and see if that helps.

Huh. Did you have an electrical storm hit yesterday or today?

Burning two power supplies in a month kinda makes me wonder if something is causing it but it could just be a fluke. Are you sure you got a power supply with enough power for your computing needs? Maybe want to go a level or two higher and see if that helps.

No storms. The model I bought had a few reviews of failing within a few months, but so did the others I was looking into. I didn't think too much of it(not the brightest move in hindsight) The tower I have is a few years older and didn't leave me with a ton of variety for choices.

It's actually booting now, but crashes after 10 seconds or so and goes to an amber light. But that's still a power supply issue, right?

No storms. The model I bought had a few reviews of failing within a few months, but so did the others I was looking into. I didn't think too much of it(not the brightest move in hindsight) The tower I have is a few years older and didn't leave me with a ton of variety for choices.

It's actually booting now, but crashes after 10 seconds or so and goes to an amber light. But that's still a power supply issue, right?

When I had a bad power supply I took it to the Geek Squad. They hooked it up and tested it for free. Taking it out of the computer and testing in a controlled environment is only way you are going to be sure you've isolated the problem.

Hey tittus, is the computer an HP by any chance? My mom's old computer had the same issue awhile ago. There was a storm that made the electricity go out, computer wouldn't turn on afterwards although the PSU would light up and there was an amber light. I did a bunch of digging and found out there was some weird fix for it. It was kind of dangerous and I don't remember exactly, but I believe it involved unplugging the PSU from the motherboard with the power off and then powering up the PSU and plugging it back in. It's kind of dangerous but not death defying so long as you are careful not to touch in caps which isn't too hard. I could try to dig up the fix if you are interested.

You both definitely hit on it. At this point I don't think it's the PSU that's giving me the issue. I think I'm just going to call it. It was a great computer overall, I ran this thing to death and it hung right in there. I'll transfer over the hard drive and a few other things to my main computer. I don't run this computer too much because It kicks off wayyy too much heat.

PraiseMorph- It's a Dell.

Kind of related to the issue, but are you using a surge protector? Do you know the joules rating or is it just a cheapo one? I would definitely recommend a better one (one that has more joules protection) or possibly a battery backup for your next computer. You probably have a lot of dirty power on your circuit if you killed two PSUs within a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so I'm planning on buying a new MacBook Pro (probably this http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD101LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B0074703CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369186411&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro ) for school this fall, and I had a question. Let's say I wanted to upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB. I really don't want to pay Apple's price for it, so I was planning on just buying the memory separately and putting it in myself.

My question is do I need just one 4GB stick since it already has 4GB? Or do I have to replace the one already in there since I'm putting in more and get two 4GB sticks?

It's got 2, 2GB sticks in there (pretty sure)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link1

What the cheapest way to upgrade is, not sure. You could easily buy with the 2 GB sticks, sell them, then buy 4 GB sticks.

That comes with a 64 bit OS, right? I'm not a Mapple guy. You can't utilize all 8 GB of RAM with a 32 bit OS, though. Maybe everything is 64 now and they don't even give you the option. Just didn't see anything in the product description.

Hey so I'm planning on buying a new MacBook Pro (probably this http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MD101LL-13-3-Inch-VERSION/dp/B0074703CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369186411&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro ) for school this fall, and I had a question. Let's say I wanted to upgrade the memory from 4GB to 8GB. I really don't want to pay Apple's price for it, so I was planning on just buying the memory separately and putting it in myself.

My question is do I need just one 4GB stick since it already has 4GB? Or do I have to replace the one already in there since I'm putting in more and get two 4GB sticks?

As long as it's not the Retina display I think you should still be okay to change the RAM. When they went to the slimmer Retina display they started soldering their own components so you can no longer upgrade. Kind of a pain in the butt and the reason I kept my 2009 and put the new Samsung 840pro SSD in it.

That comes with a 64 bit OS, right? I'm not a Mapple guy. You can't utilize all 8 GB of RAM with a 32 bit OS, though. Maybe everything is 64 now and they don't even give you the option. Just didn't see anything in the product description.

I'm not sure if it's 32 or 64. But I'll definitely look into that now that you've mentioned it.

I know hardly anything about Macs but I doubt your average laptop would have more than two ram slots. And I dunno about Macs but with some pc motherboards it treats the larger sized stick the same as the smallest one so if you have two 2 gigs and a 4 gig it might only utilize 6 gigs total. Like I said though, if be surprised if there is an open slot.

popscratch: check www.crucial.com by model number to be sure. Most macs and PCs come with 2x2gb since memory works better in pairs.

You can actually take that one up to 16GB if you wanted to.

OtherWorld Computing even has great videos of the process of installing it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

Thanks for these links, it seemed crucial.com had cheaper prices so from there I could upgrade the memory to 16GB (May go with 8GB, not sure I'd ever use 16), and then could upgrade my harddrive to 1TB and the entire thing cost ~$1325

Yea the memory is not a big issue....well wasn't when I upgrade my Macs.

2x slots for RAM (up to 16gbs I think)

I only put 4gbs in mine and just went HAM on my PC putting 8Gb's sticks in each slot lol it's so cheap now who cares..

Also PSU's I bought a Galaxy 1100watt years ago and still have it today...I don't know how much you spent but good PSU's cost some $$$ cheap ones will normally fail within a year because of how cheaply they are made and the parts within. (I wanna say I got mine on sale for like $250 or something)

Yeah, I burned through a cheap power supply on my desktop and learned my lesson.

What would your normal computer user be doing these days that would require 16 GB of memory? The only time I've ever needed that much was running some really large-scale mathematical optimization problems (like, industrial sized stuff). Will the state of the art gaming software / hardware use that much? You won't come close to that just surfing the web, writing a paper, streaming a tv show, etc...

What would your normal computer user be doing these days that would require 16 GB of memory? The only time I've ever needed that much was running some really large-scale mathematical optimization problems (like, industrial sized stuff). Will the state of the art gaming software / hardware use that much? You won't come close to that just surfing the web, writing a paper, streaming a tv show, etc...

I can almost guarantee I would never use all 16. On my computer right now I only have 2GB and it's starting to become really bad where it takes a good while just to pull up a Word document. And since 4GB is only two more, I was planning to go with 8GB just to be on the safe side.