I want to learn to cook tofu Got recipes or tips?

I finally have a proper kitchen and I want to start experimenting with tofu, but before I do I'd like to pull off some recipes that I know work so I can figure out the stuff's properties and cooking quirks. Anyone have any good tofu recipes than can pass along?

Also if anyone has any killer veggie recipes I'd like to check those out too. I'm great with cooking/marinating/seasoning meat and would like to expand.

Guest kylewilliam

hey nutritional yeast, it makes life better and makes tofu not so bland.

get to know your spices well.

TOFU SCRAMBLE!

Try to drain the tofu well. I slice it up into blocks and squeeze it between two cutting boards to let the excess water drain.

I love just grilling it with BBQ or teriyaki sauce.

I've read up a little on draining. Do I need to put towels on the bottom and top of the tofu to soak the water using your method or will it just run out the sides?

Tofu Tacos are my favorite thing to make.

Make sure the tofu is nice and crispy!

got a link to a recipe you dig or do you have your own?

I just made it myself. I forgot a part, get some flour, put it in a bag, cut the tofu up into squares toss 'em in the bag and shake, shake, shake. then cook 'em in a little bit of oil and they'll crisp up!

I use soft tortillazzzzz

I always press my tofu like a few others have mentioned. I usually wrap it in a towel and put something heavy on it for about 20 minutes. I used to always freeze my tofu first and then thaw it out and press it, it gives the tofu a tougher and spongier texture, but it takes a lot of extra time so I stopped that.

My favorite recipe that I make all the time:

Its basically a tofu massaman curry (thai)

After pressing the tofu, I cut it up into small squares, pan fry then in oil until both sides are brown.

Then in a wok, I add a can of coconut milk, a cup of water, and a can of thai curry paste (any kind works, but avoid the thai kitchen brand, its weak stuff). I let that heat up and mix it well, then I add the tofu, and any veggies. I usually just add onions and peanuts, but I've tried potatoes, broccoli, eggplant, and carrots and its all good.

I've got a couple pretty good recipes that we make from time to time. PM me if any of these sound good and I'll give you the recipe. I feel like maybe I shouldn't post them up since they're from a cookbook (sort of like sharing in-print mp3s?)

Rice-stuffed summer squash (this is fricking delicious)

Tofu/Broccoli stir fry with garlic ginger sauce

Lemony spinach-stuffed shells

Okay fair enough. Here goes:

Rice-Stuffed Summer Squash

4 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and seeded

2 cups cooked brown, jasmine (I like the jasmine), or other rice

2 tbsp minced onion

2 tbsp minced green bell pepper

2 tbsp minced fresh parsley

1/2 c. firm tofu, blotted dry and crumbled

3 tbsp. grated parmesan

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

1. boil a pot of water, add the squash halves, blanch for 1-2 min. drain and set aside.

2. heat oven to 350.

3. mix rice, onion, bell pepper, parsley, tofu, cheese, salt, and cayenne in a bowl. spoon into squash halves and put them in a lightly oiled baking dish. bake until tender and stuffing is lightly brown, about 30 minutes. serve hot.

Lemony Spinach-Stuffed Shells

Large Pasta Shells (recipe says 12, I say more like 20)

2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 c. minced shallots

1 bunch spinach (I use maybe 1/3 - 1/2 lb.), coarsley chopped

4 oz. white mushrooms, chopped (about a cup)

1 pound firm tofu, blotted dry and crumbled

1/3 c. grated parmesan

juice and zest of 1 lemon

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

3 c. tomato based pasta sauce

1. cook the shells. set them aside

2. heat the oil in a skillet. add the shallots, cook for 5 min. add the spinach and mushrooms, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. put in a bowl and stif in tofu, parmesan, lemon juice and zest, salt, and pepper.

3. heat oven to 350. stuff filling into shells. spread a layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. put the shells on top of the sauce, then pour the remaining sauce on the shells. cover and bake for 30 min.

Tofu & Broccoli Stir Fry

1/4 c. tamari

2 tbsp. water

1 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil

2 tsp. cornstarch

1 tbsp. safflower oil (any light, tasteless oil would probably work)

4 c. broccoli

1 tbsp. minced garlic

1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

8 oz. firm dofu, blotted dry and cut into 1/2 in. cubes

3 tbsp. minced scallions

4-5 c. hot cooked white rice

1. stir together tamari, water, sugar, salt, sesame oil, and cornstarch. set aside.

2. in a large skillet, heat safflower oil over medium-high heat. stir-fry broccoli for ~1 min, so its bright green. take it out and put it on a paper towel to drain. stir fry garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and tofu for 2 min. put the broccoli back in and stir-fry for another minute or so. add the tamari sauce, stir fry for about a minute until everything is well coated. serve over rice.