Favorite Concert?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorites:

i think it was the first plea for peace in gainesville maybe 2001 or so with: Matt skiba, strike anywhere, cave in, thrice, hot water music, mike park and a couple others... shit was so much fun

the first time i saw the horrorpops was a fucking blast. around 2005 or so

At The Drive In / Jimmy Eat World tour was great too

Bad religion/SNFU - 1994 - this was my first real punk rock show.

Seeing the falcon playing at the Fest 2007

and anytime the lawrence arms play

That was during the Fat tour but I can't remember who else played. Anti-Flag, Mad Caddies? I know they played Fat Tour one year, but I don't think it was that one.

J-Church played with avail and Propagandhi. i used to have the show poster for it.

Cool, thanks. I think Mad Caddies and Anti-Flag were on that tour together one year. +1 for straightening out my flawed-ass memory.

Here's a few that stand out for me:

Foo Fighters / Talk Show - 10/2/97 - Capital Ballroom - Washington, DC

(This was my first real concert, the "Colour and the Shape" tour. Talk Show was that short lived band that was basically STP without Scott Weiland.)

Fugazi - 4/27/01 - Sacred Heart Church - Washington, DC

(Fugazi playing the basement of a church. At first we couldn't get in, so my friend and I stood with a bunch of people who didn't have the scraps of paper (there were no tickets). Eventually Ian MacKaye himself came and led us all inside. It was awesome.)

Rage Against The Machine / At the Drive-In - 12/2/99 - Baltimore Arena - Baltimore, MD

(Tensions were high with this one, as the Baltimore police were protesting outside and refused to provide security for the show because of RATM's support of Mumia Abu-Jamal. At the Drive-In blew RATM off the stage, I had never heard them before and they were like a bomb going off.)

Bouncing Souls / Youth Brigade / Mustard Plug - 10/26/00 - Fletcher's - Baltimore, MD

(Fletcher's is upstairs down in Fell's Point, and the floor was swaying from all the dancing and jumping around. It was packed and sweaty and awesome. I was not impressed in the least with Mustard Plug.)

Bigwig / The Thumbs / Chernobyl Kids - 1999 - Ottobar - Baltimore, MD

(This was at the original Ottobar, which then became the original Talking Head. Tiny, tiny space. Bigwig's guitarist put the headstock of his guitar through the low ceiling during one of his jumps.)

Avail - 2008 - Alley Katz - Richmond, VA

(It just felt right to see Avail on their home turf. They opened with "Southbound 95" and all hell broke loose).

Teenage Bottlerocket - 2008 - a parking lot - Austin, TX

(They played to about 20 of us outside a pizza shop during SXSW. They sounded tight as shit, and it was great).

Rise Against - 2004 - Emo's - Austin, TX

(This show was inside at Emo's, in the small-ish bar area. Awesome.)

I could go on and on....need to stop!

man^^^ I missed that Teenage Bottlerocket show, my car broke down on the way over there..

But we made it in time to see Dead To Me and NOFX play at Waterloo, it was the same night.

To add a few more shows..

The Falcon, Sundowner, American Steel, Lawrence Arms 10-31-07..

The Briefs,Teenage Bottlerocket, The Queers @ Red 7 during SXSW 2009.

This list is endless:

Warped Tour, Chicago in June '97

Braid/No Knife @ Fireside Bowl, Chicago in August '99

Braid/Alkaline Trio @ The Metro, Chicago in August '99

Alkaline Trio/The Low End Theory @ a VFW Hall, Cherry Valley, IL in January '00 (I booked this show, 2nd show w/Mike Felumlee)

Alkaline Trio/Ted Leo/Gods Reflex @ Agape Java Hut, Normal, IL in March '00 (my brother booked this show on/for my 18th birthday)

Weezer/The Get Up Kids @ Eagles Ballroom, Milwaukee in March '01

Brand New/The Reunion Show @ the Lions Den, Rockford, IL in August 01 with under 10 more people

The Blood Brothers at Peabody's in Moline, IL the weekend before September 11

Brand New/The Reunion Show at Peabody's in Davenport, IA in November '01 with, again, under 10 more people (I booked this show, too)

Weezer/Tenacious D/Jimmy Eat World @ Red Bird Arena, Normal, IL in December '01

Hmmmmm......

Hot Water Music at DIY records, touring for Fuel For The Hate Game.

Really tons of bands at DIY, that place was amazing.

Fugazi at Firestone in Orlando.

Das Oath, Amde Petersons Arme, Let It Burn, and The Break in a basement in Nashville.

Blacktop Cadence at Brodies Warehouse.

Jimmy Eat World opening for the Promise Ring

Helmet with NIN, same tour as Juan but in Orlando.

Blacklisted, Have Heart, and Ceremony at Black Box in Orlando

Paint It Black and Blacklisted at Transitions in Tampa

So many more that are stuck in my head

I saw Bad Religion, Less Than Jake and Hot Water Music in like '01 I think. It was right after Process of Belief and Borders and Boundaries were released.

I have a gig poster of NOFX, D4, Bottlerocket and Flatliners and though I didn't go, I'm pretty sure that was the best concert ever.

these are the ones that immediatly come to mind...

Coalesce / Curl Up And Die / Fall River @ some small room in Kingston, PA. 2005

(This was a last minute Hellfest cancellation show. Only about 25 people showed up. Coalesce played with tons of energy anyway and everyone went nuts.)

Converge / Some Girls / Modern Life Is War / Gospel @ The Backbooth in Orlando. 2006

(The only thing wrong with this show was Converge not playing "The Saddest Day".)

Blood Brothers / Against Me @ the Starlight Ballroom in Philly. 2004

(I was way into both of these bands at the time of this tour. It was funny seeing the crowd change over between sets.)

Dillinger Four / Hardskin / Fucked Up / Paint It Black @ the First Unitarian Church in Philly. 2006

(Only time I have seen D4)

Paint It Black / Hope Conspiracy / Have Heart / Damnation AD / Crime In Stereo @ the First Unitarian Church in Philly. 2008

(Every band killed it at this show. Giving away a free 7" was also a great thing.)

Terror / Blacklisted / Modern Life Is War @ The First Unitarian Church in Philly. 2005

(Comeback Kid was supposed to play this show, but cancelled at the last minute. I was bummed at first until I found out that Blacklisted was taking their place. This was also my first time hearing MLIW. I was blown away from the start.)

Q And Not U / Supersystem @ The First Unitarian Church in Philly. 2005

(Q And Not U's last Philly show.)

Converge at the Showcase Theater (not really a theater,feels smaller than my house) in 07

RATM-2000 Democratic National Convention

Nine Inch Nails/Deerhunter at the LA Forum 2008

Against Me/Lucero/Grabass Charlestons at the Troubadour 2003

Weezer/Rilo Kiley/Ozma-Knitting Factory 2000 (Weezer played as Goat Punishment)

My Bloody Valentine-Coachella Warm Up Show at the El Rey 2009.

Lifetime-Reunion Show at the Troubadour 2007

Minus The Bear-Echoplex-Cinco De Mayo 2007 (I think)

Foo Fighters/Queens Of The Stone Age (went with member littlerobot and A. Van Houten) at the Avalon (Verizon Wireless Party)

I can't decide...I can think of many more,Im just on my iPhone and dont feel like typing

Guest adam526

I had too much fun typing this all out. Awesome thread.

Motion City Soundtrack @ The Roxy - Around summer 07 they did a small tour before their new record dropped. They played a solid set and the crowd was a ton of fun. There hadn’t been an MCS show in a while.

Rise Against @ The Troubadour - May 06 just before the Sufferer and the Witness came out they played a five night stand at the best venue in Hollywood. I was only able to go to the first four shows, but I heard a lot of material that I hadn’t heard since I got into them.

Brand New @ Bamboozle Left in Pomona - Brand New and Dashboard were headlining this, Dashboard was not that great, but Brand New played a solid set and played some new stuff from Devil & God, which wasn’t quite out yet. They were horrible the first time I saw them, seriously, so this show def made up for it.

Jimmy Eat World @ The Avalon - This was the last show of the tour and Jim literally said ‘Are you guys ready? Cause we’re going to throw the kitchen sink at you tonight”, they lived up to that statement by belting out 27 songs. I had seen them so many times before this show, but this show was far superior.

The Matches @ Kimball’s Carnival in Oakland - This was the second HelL3 show that I went upnorth for. Total blast with a lot of friends and awesome bands all night. Maldroid, Audrye Sessions, and Stop the Malarky opened.

The Format @ The Avalon - This was the only time I’d seen the Format live. Something always prevented me from going to their shows when they were in town, but I was finally able to go to this show. Street To Nowhere, one of my fav bands, was opening, so that made it that much better.

Say Anything @ The Roxy - This was my first Say Anything show and it was a ton of fun. They played a long ass set. Sadly, no songs from Baseball, but that’s okay.

The Matches @ Art & Soul Festival in Oakland - This show was bittersweet. The awesome set and decent crowd was overshadowed by the fact that this was Justin’s last show with the band. After countless shows it’s been weird seeing Dylan, the new bassplayer, up there with them, but he’s a cool dude, so that makes it better, right?

The Wombats @ The Echoplex - Such a fucking entertaining show. There was awesome music and comic relief in one show! Just a fun show in general, it’s obvious that they bring a ton of energy to their live show.

Rooney @ The Roxy - I wasn’t that into Rooney but my friends wanted to go to the second week of Rooney’s Monday Night Stand at the Roxy. Each show had a different opener and for this particular show the opener was Ozma. Fun show all around, can’t get enough of this venue as well.

The Matches @ Key Club - This was a great show, Something With Numbers, Whole Wheat Bread and MC Lars opened this show and it was nonstop awesomeness!

Say Anything @ The Avalon - I wasn’t going to be able to go to this show but once they announced that Biffy Clyro and Manchester Orchestra was opening I knew I had to work my schedule around it. I was able to get the day off work and took the bus down to the venue to meet my friends there. Biffy Clyro, another one of my fav bands, absolutely killed it. It was only the second time I had seen them. I sadly missed Manchester Orchestra because I went around Biffy’s bus to talk with them. It’s okay, I was able to catch Manchester at the Troubadour last week. Anyways, yea Say Anything was awesome at this show and it had been a while since I had seen them.

The Staring Line @ No Future Cafe - One of my first shows, period. So much fun with Normal Like You opening at a cafe in Pasadena. Wish TSL played in LA more often.

Paramore @ The Roxy - Awesome show, awesome set, awesome band. Too bad I don't see any club tours in their future.

This list is endless:

Alkaline Trio/The Low End Theory @ a VFW Hall, Cherry Valley, IL in January '00 (I booked this show, 2nd show w/Mike Felumlee)

Alkaline Trio/Ted Leo/Gods Reflex @ Agape Java Hut, Normal, IL in March '00 (my brother booked this show on/for my 18th birthday)

Brand New/The Reunion Show @ the Lions Den, Rockford, IL in August 01 with under 10 more people

Brand New/The Reunion Show at Peabody's in Davenport, IA in November '01 with, again, under 10 more people (I booked this show, too)

I remember I went to see The Starting Line, Finch and Brand New once. It was at the upstage in Pittsburgh, there were maybe 30 people there. Brand new opened and now look at all those bands. crazy

something like this

at the drive in/murder city devils - the glass house

propagandhi/avail - the glass house

reggie and the full effect - the glass house

sigur ros - greek theatre

throw in some face to face shows and when thrice still played chain and that basically covers it. id have to go through ticket stubs now cause i can't remember shit.

Guest adam526
Speaking of Say Anything, their outdoor set on the third day of the Bamboozle in Asbury Park in 2005 was legendary. One of my all-time favorite sets. It's where I took this picture:

[image]

Nice! Yea, I've only been able to see them a handful of times, but it's amazing every time.

the Lawrence Arms / Rise Against (RPM era) / Mad Caddies - Cardiff Uni. 2003.

First ever gig, and still kicked the shit out of the majority shows we get these days.

Shook Ones - Kingston Fighting Cocks. 2009.

Pure sweet.

Adequate Seven's last gig, with Capdown / Shootin' Goon / Captain Everything!. 2006

All of these bands are out now, so this is the last time you will ever see another bill with this much British badass-ness for a very long time!

Five Knuckle's last gig, with Adequate Seven. 2005

Hottest day of the year, never sweated so much in all my life! Bloody nose and a lot of scrapes as a result of the sweetness of Five Knuckle's live show!

Lightyear reunion tour show, with Sonic Boom Six and The Scrub. 2007

The Scrub brought the house down from the word go, first time I ever 'got' Sonic Boom Six's live show, and the singer of Lightyear picked up my hat which he then used to wipe his naked ass with. He tossed in back to me and I put it back on right away which totally grossed him out.

This list is endless:

'97 warped tour ripped for sure

also.........

-buzzard fest '96.....goldfinger was pretty much awesome.

-avail/boy sets fire......'99

-agent orange/os 101/turbo a.c.............'99

-high on fire/acid king/red giant.........'00

-deftones/glassjaw...........'00....at the norva in virginia beach i think.........it was great to go to an awesome show out of town

-alkaline trio/hot water music/dashboard confessional.....'00?

-ignite/straight faced..........'01

-taking back sunday.......saw them in '02 at a coffee shop in edinboro i think..........was the only wan singing. i loved it.

I live in Arkansas so the time the Lawrence Arms Came was epic in 04. There were like 6 people at the show, so they took requests and signed some records for us. Completely awesome. Against Me comes through a lot and they always put on a good show as well, and Trio came last summer and encored with Old School Reasons and Radio. Amazing!

There are so many!

Smashing Pumkins/Fountains of Wayne at Nausa Coliseum in 1996

NIN/A Perfect Circle at Madison Sq Garden in 2000

Tool at Radio City Music Hall in 2002

Sonic Youth at McCarran Park Pool in 2007 (playing Daydream Nation)

Neurosis/Mastodon at The Brooklyn Masonic Temple 2008

The Pixies (any of the 6 times I've seen them 2004-2006)

The Dillinger Escape Plan (pretty much any of the 17 times I've seen them since 2002)

The Violent Femmes at Irving Plaza in 2001

The Dead Milkmen at The Warsaw last month!

.........so many more!