Headphones question

Hey All, anyone have any experience with Ultimate Ears headphones?

I am interested in buying a pair but am trying to decide between the Super .fi 3 studio or the Super .fi 5 Pro.

Besides the $100 difference between the two (the 5 pro being the more expensive model), is there any notable differences between sound quality, comfort, durability, etc?

Or if there are any other suggestions for a pair of headphones between $100-$150 I'm open to ideas.

Do they necessarily have to be in-ear headphones? Because in the $150 range you can get some really great circumaural headphones like AKG K271, K530 or Sennheiser HD-555. If you add a few extra bucks places like amazon or ebay sell Sennheiser HD-595 for around $170-$180, which is almost $100 off the regular price and those are probably the best headphones you'll find for the price. But again, those are all "full sized" headphones. I don't know much about in-ear phones anymore because after switching to full sized I never even thought about going back to in-ear ones.

I prefer in ear because I haven't found a pair of circumaural headphones that won't hurt my ears after a while. I wear glasses and the cups will always press the ear pieces of my glasses to my head and ears it really hurts and irritates me after a while.

I'm still open to them if I can find a pair that will be comfortable enough to wear.

Sennheiser HD-595

I have these.

I also have a pair Sennheiser PMX90 for when I run or go to the gym.

I also wear glasses.

I have never had any discomfort from either pair, and can attest to Sennheiser's quality. The PMX90's are the best sounding sport headphones I've ever owned, and the HD-595s are simply the best headphones I've ever owned period.

And the pricing is very reasonable.

Get the Sennheisers.

I have a pair of Bose over-the-ear headphones that work well. They're this model:

http://www.amazon.com/around-ear-headphones-personal-portable-listening/dp/B000MMWT9Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244046489&sr=8-5

They come with the large adapter and a carrying bag. They don't drown out all outside noise but I've enjoyed them for sure. Oh and I have glasses and they don't irritate much I've noticed.

Hmm my interest in the Sennheisers and Bose is piqued.

Is there anywhere that I can possibly try the over the ear headphones?

That's really one of the more irritating aspects of headphone shopping. I can never find a place to try any out for comfort or sound quality :/

I bet Best Buy might work. I'm not sure where else would have them out and able to try.

i've had shure e2c, scl2 and scl4 w/ bassport .

the scl2 was an updated version of the e2c which i got received under warranty when the cable of the e2c cracked and was exposing the wire. they were pretty similar and since i couldn't compare the two head to head, they were the best headphones i've used up to that point. i had gotten the e2cs on sale for $40, so it wasn't too bad because they were retailing at around 100.

then, a few months ago, the slc4 went on sale for $80 and i picked them up, and i'd say it was worth it. you can tell a definitely tell difference with the fit and the sound. they are the most comfortable in-ear headphones i've had and they sound absolutely great. i haven't done any direct listening comparisons between the slc4s and slc2s, but given the fact i've used 3 different models of their headphones, with the lower end and higher end shure headphones, i would definitely recommend whichever set you can get in your price range, although it'd be good if you could get them during sales like i did.

Hmm my interest in the Sennheisers and Bose is piqued.

Is there anywhere that I can possibly try the over the ear headphones?

That's really one of the more irritating aspects of headphone shopping. I can never find a place to try any out for comfort or sound quality :/

I bet Best Buy might work. I'm not sure where else would have them out and able to try.

the last time I went to Best Buy, I saw the bose headphones out. Didn't really see anything for any other model

• 1 month later...

I need headphones for work that'll work well against a ton of annoying background noise. I have co-workers constantly on the phone, chewing carrots, popping gum, that sort of thing. I don't want to spend much over $100.

I was thinking maybe:

Sennheiser HD-515

Sennheiser PXC 250 Active Noise Canceling Headphones

Not sure if I should get the 515 figuring I can turn up whatever I'm listening to and just have generally better sound or if I should get the 250 model since they're made for noise canceling.