I may be starting to run a new venue near LA

Its a small coffee shop where I think, based on permits and such, the shows would have to be mostly acoustic affairs. I'm thinking it should work, there seems to be a rise in acoustic anyways, its near enough to LA but far enough as well. Probably holds between 35-50.

Is this a place you would a) be interested in seeing a show and B) a place you think bands would want to play?

I'm figuring it would work because its about 30-45 minutes north of LA, I'll do the booking so no stuck-up bullshit from booking people, and its on the way to San Francisco, etc being that its right off the 5 and the 14. It'll all be small intimate shows for no more than $10 per show.

I just want some outside opinions.

well, the good thing is that you might attract a younger audience since there are lots of younger families in that area. if the shows are all ages, you'll most likely get a bunch of kids without the means to drive out to LA attending shows.

That's part of my thought process. We don't have nor are we going to get a liquor license so it'll definitely be all-ages.

Old people go to see acoustic shows. I'm old. It takes a hell of a show to get old people like me to go to LA and I'd certianly not go 45 min North of LA for a gig that holds 35 people in a coffee shop. On the other hand, if the place only holds that many people, you should be able to get enough people to show up for a properly promoted/priced show to fill up the venue.

I'm figuring my main audience is young people who have zero to do in the area, not a ton of money, and not a ton of ability to leave to go to downtown LA or close. I'm also hoping I could get bands who normally play amped to play acoustic to attract their audience. Almost like an unplugged type thing that would be an add-on to a normal tour. I was even toying with the idea of providing instruments and a PA so bands could do that without lugging extra acoustic gear.

I'm figuring my main audience is young people who have zero to do in the area, not a ton of money, and not a ton of ability to leave to go to downtown LA or close. I'm also hoping I could get bands who normally play amped to play acoustic to attract their audience. Almost like an unplugged type thing that would be an add-on to a normal tour. I was even toying with the idea of providing instruments and a PA so bands could do that without lugging extra acoustic gear.

If the target audience is the local youth that have nothing else to do then you need to reconsider the price of admission. I would say never more than $5 unless you're dealing with a touring band that will truly draw to capacity, even then, you gotta figure most people don't want to pay more than $5 for a coffee shop show.

If the target audience is the local youth that have nothing else to do then you need to reconsider the price of admission. I would say never more than $5 unless you're dealing with a touring band that will truly draw to capacity, even then, you gotta figure most people don't want to pay more than $5 for a coffee shop show.

Fair enough. I'm going to experiment with price but I was thinking of starting @ $5-10 depending on who's playing.

What are you thoughts on a guarantee?

Its Newhall, near Valencia. Off the 14 @ San Fernando across the street from the Newhall Train Station. Its called the Railroad Cafe. I'm working with the owner to provide for ways to keep the place busy during off hours.

Really...my wife used to live in Newhall. Every time I went there it was hot as hell. Six Flags was fun though.

Good luck!

Fair enough. I'm going to experiment with price but I was thinking of starting @ $5-10 depending on who's playing.

I would never promise any band a dime, especially if they're locals. If they're the type of band that expects a guarantee then they're probably too big to play a coffee shop that holds 40 people. Now, that being said, you should still pay the bands, but never promise them a set amount, promise them a cut of the door. If there is a touring band and locals I always let the locals know they're playing for free and that all money goes to the touring bands (unless it's a band that is going to really draw a crowd then I give them something for gas money). This has never really been a problem for me as the bands I usually book get the picture: it's DIY punk rock and they're not doing it for money and if money is made it should go to the touring band. I never keep money as a promoter it either goes to the venue or the bands.

I would never promise any band a dime, especially if they're locals. If they're the type of band that expects a guarantee then they're probably too big to play a coffee shop that holds 40 people. Now, that being said, you should still pay the bands, but never promise them a set amount, promise them a cut of the door. If there is a touring band and locals I always let the locals know they're playing for free and that all money goes to the touring bands (unless it's a band that is going to really draw a crowd then I give them something for gas money). This has never really been a problem for me as the bands I usually book get the picture: it's DIY punk rock and they're not doing it for money and if money is made it should go to the touring band. I never keep money as a promoter it either goes to the venue or the bands.

Sweet, that was pretty much my plan. Awesome man, much appreciated!

if nobody shows up or a certain show it might be a good idea to still throw the guys 20-30 bucks in good faith for next time.

Yeah but if no money was made at the door then where does that money come from? It shouldn't come out of the promoter's pocket. If it's a touring band and the turnout sucks I'll throw down $20 to help them out but if they're a local band and they can bring even a few friends then they don't need any money, especially if there's none to give.

the valley could always use another venue, the only one i can think of out there is the cobalt. and places like that out here tend to usually do pretty well. i dont think ive ever been to like the cobalt or no future(in pasadena) where the show has had a bad turnout.

and like other people said, your core audience is gonna be the kids who cant get out to la for shows