WARREN IS FIRED FROM AGAINST ME! (seriously!)

I get what you're saying but there are some people who connect with the band on a deeper level and their message. Because of the ethics promoted by the band's message the ethics behind this are being speculated, music aside.

There is something fishy about all of it because of the official statement and Tom's blog. Its a huge discrepancy not to mention Warren is beloved by so many AM! fans for being a stand up guy.

That said I really hope his restaurant thrives and if I get to go to Fest I'm sooooo going.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm saying is the ethics they once espoused have been pretty much rendered not entirely moot but irrevocably changed.

…And have been for quite a while, at least in my humble opinion. I really like Against Me! and I have at times felt the way the most ardent fan would so I can understand why folks would be passionate in their response. However, this type of thing happens every day. People walk away, get fired, have irrevocable disputes, so I don't see how this happening within the Against Me! clan is that earth-moving. The same thing happened when Brett Reed "left" Rancid - fans were all up in arms because their mental family portrait of the band was suddenly disrupted. Look at the lines (more like canyons) that divided the Wilco fans when Tweedy fired Jay Bennet (the fact that this moment in the band's history was captured on film only exacerbated an already inflamed dispute). People were willing to walk away from a band they loved and admired and espousing hyperbolic statements like "Tweedy committed treason!".

What I'm getting at here is that this is par for the course, especially when the group has one leader. It's unfortunate, but it is a business and Tom is the CEO, and the leader [in any context] has to make decisions, whether they are popular or not. In my opinion, Against Me!'s leadership was already suspect and this outpouring of shock is long overdue.

On a somewhat related note - imagine what amazing things could be accomplished if folks* kept themselves this informed about decisions being made on their behalf in Congress every day and took all the energy they are putting into this and redirected it into political discussions and direct-action. We might actually be living in a democracy if that were to ever happen!

*Myself, at times, included.

this post brings the lulz.

It really is a great record (except for that Stop song) and if it weren't released by a former anarcho-punk band a lot of the critics wouldn't have slammed it so hard.

Tis true. I think Clarity is better from back to front but New Wave is pretty damn strong. Though I would say The Ocean is pretty lame too.

Guest adam526

I got into them when Clarity came out, so not that long ago. New Wave is a good album, but I don't think it's their best.

Everyone has their own opinion though, obviously.

What I'm saying is the ethics they once espoused have been pretty much rendered not entirely moot but irrevocably changed.

The same thing happened when Brett Reed left Rancid - fans were all up in arms because their mental family portrait of the band was suddenly disrupted.

When I first read this I was honestly in shock because it was just so random. It took me a while to come to terms with it.

It really is a great record (except for that Stop song) and if it weren't released by a former anarcho-punk band a lot of the critics wouldn't have slammed it so hard.

Tis true. I think Clarity is better from back to front but New Wave is pretty damn strong. Though I would say The Ocean is pretty lame too.

Aw man, "The Ocean" is my favorite song on that record! I remember seeing them play it a whole year before that record came out, on Warped Tour, and I was hypnotized by it.

Aw man, "The Ocean" is my favorite song on that record! I remember seeing them play it a whole year before that record came out, on Warped Tour, and I was hypnotized by it.

"The Ocean" reminds me a lot of "Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Balled Fists"