iPhone 3.0

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to go download this for my touch. No way I'm paying 10 bucks.

A lot of Apps will require the OS in the future probably. Total bummer for Touch users, as these changes are mostly geared towards the iPhone crowd.

I'll just deal with it when it becomes an issue. I just don't feel like I need to pay 10 bucks for an upgrade that should essentially be free to begin with.

Here's my home screen:

[image]

I need to move Mail to the back, I never use it. Gmail.com blows it away.

I always have the stinking 1 on my Apps icon because I refuse to update TwitterFon since they introduced ads. I might just delete it all together soon though, because the new free TweetDeck is pretty damn sweet. TwitterFon was the best though. I hear Tweetie is good, but I don't feel like paying for a Twitter app.

so, my contract is up with verizon in september and i want to get an iphone.

what is the advantage of getting a 3GS for $100 more as opposed to just getting a 3G with 3.0 OS?

is it worth the extra $100????

Well you also get double the internal memory at 16G instead of 8G. People are reporting an increase in app performance. Gizmodo, I think, said it was like upgrading to a new computer after 2 years.

3GS in a nutshell:

Double memory

video

faster processing speed

compass (lame IMO)

more pixels on camera

Other than that...for the most part...everything else same as 3G.

If I were in your shoes Darrell (hopefully you're a size 12) and are in the market for a new phone and looking into the iPhone and have the extra $100, I'd very much go for the 3GS.

3GS in a nutshell:

Double memory

video

faster processing speed

compass (lame IMO)

more pixels on camera

Other than that...for the most part...everything else same as 3G

The only thing with the compass is the possible inclusion of a compass API making things that use the compass interesting and not available elsewhere. That said I think the compass thing is a 3.0 feature?

Compass is 3GS only. If you're getting a new one, pony up the extra cash and get the 3GS. Because next year, they'll probably come out w/ a new iPhone and you won't be able to upgrade right away and you'll be behind 2 generations.

The speed factor is already making a lot of apps designed for the 3G run better (according to reviews). So who knows how dog slow some newer apps are going to be on the current 3G model in the future.

Has there been any official word on if current 3G owners can upgrade to 3GS without paying through the nose?

Nope. They're allowing an upgrade for those who were due an upgrade in July, August, and September (I think) though.

You and I have to wait the full 18-months though. No big deal though, this way there's no hassle when we go to get the 2010 iPhone.

Has there been any official word on if current 3G owners can upgrade to 3GS without paying through the nose?

Nope. They're allowing an upgrade for those who were due an upgrade in July, August, and September (I think) though.

You and I have to wait the full 18-months though. No big deal though, this way there's no hassle when we go to get the 2010 iPhone.

That's cool.

By then it will be the 3GS2.0XYZ yeah? ;D

I guess we lucked out in Canada:

1. All customers that purchased an iPhone 3G more than 6 months ago are eligible to get $250 off the no-contract price, thus having to pay “only” $449/549 to get their hands on a 16/32GB iPhone 3GS.

2. All customers that purchased an iPhone 3G between July 11, 2008 to September 30, 2008 AND spent more than $100 a month (every month) in service charges since then are eligible to get the iPhone 3GS for its contract price of 199/299 for 16/32GB respectively if they sign up for one extra year of contract.

-That's if you consider "any typed of discount" lucking out.