dealing with idiots on eBay: part 6 of 128

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the "don't patronize me" remark was because of her "things genuinely do get lost in the mail" comment. clearly with my 230+ unique positive feedbacks and a 100% rating on eBay, i've done this before.

also, since i wasn't even asking for a refund, i don't understand why she was getting all defensive about it. i was just trying to be upfront about opening a dispute and let her know what was going on. i didn't want things to get ugly if all of a sudden she came home and saw a paypal dispute was opened with no prior communication. and on top of that, i said i wasn't even planning on opening a dispute until a week later, so i was clearly willing to give it more time still.

i just felt through her messages (also, i left one of her messages to me out because it was pretty bitchy and i wanted to just get some advice on what kind of feedback to leave her without that skewing everybody's perception) she was trying to play hardball with me, basically saying "if you're gonna do it, just do it already."

i wouldn't have bid on the auction if i didn't want the item. so if i don't receive the item, i'm not sure how i feel about leaving positive feedback. i think refunds are what "neutral" feedback is for. i definitely won't leave negative feedback because at the very worst, i got my money back (although she didn't refund me 100% of the original price either, which i also left out because i didn't think it was a huge deal... she got close).

at this point, if the lighter doesn't come i'm leaning toward not leaving feedback at all. i don't want to screw up her 100% positive rating, especially if she did refund me.

and, thanks for the advice everybody, but i'm pretty sure those of you who know me understand that if the lighter does show up i would pay her back.

dan,

maybe you're not seeing it, but everyone here apparently sees it as you being a bit perturbed and being a bit argumentative toward her in this transaction. You specifically explain you've been burned to her and just taking precautions, then telling her not to patronize you, then making a claim that she had no proof of sending the package, though she specifically said all she had is the receipt that she sent them. You didn't pay for insurance (which would probably cost you more than the actual item itself). So why would she have proof of it if? I would be just as upset about it as her. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but if someone told me that i'd probably would have done the same. Why should i have a claim against me because the post office lost the package. And how dare someone say that i had no proof even though i explained i had the receipt that i sent it. she did the the right thing even though you were the one that was being a bit unreasonable. see it from her side. Besides what's the purpose of filing a claim if you clearly state you were not at all looking for a refund and that you trusted her. Maybe a neutral feedback rating and telling her, hey it didn't show up, but can you send me a scan of the receipt to make my conscience happy that i knew you sent it and it just got lost in the mail. This whole argument could have been avoided.

i still love you dan.. like a bottom. :P

PS i don't believe if it does show up you will pay her but wind up using it for drugs and prostitutes... really really really cheap ones.

i'm not gonna post the message cause that's not the point anymore. i'm not saying i handled the situation perfectly, either.

and mike, as for me seeing things from her side... i would never put myself in this position as a seller. first of all, i don't sell on eBay anymore because there is no protection for the seller (especially when it comes to assholes like me trying to scam people out of money ::)), but if i got a message from a buyer like the one i sent her originally, i would have - at the very least - scanned the receipt and sent them a picture of it.

as for proper shipping being more than the actual item... i guess that would be for me to decide if i was willing to pay that much. i would have been if that option was presented to me. it was an item i had never seen before, and one i bought for my collection.

i suppose none of this makes any difference at this point and we can let this thread fade into bolivion now like mike tyson.

it is an alkaline trio lighter

front:

[image]

back:

[image]

supposedly it's an official zippo lighter that was given out to press as a promotional item for the release of Good Mourning.

holy shit!!! i got it right!!! lol

did you know that zippo lighter aren't that much to make as far as putting logos on them. i think you have to buy like 10 or something.. at least they use to do that.

As a seller, nothing annoys me more than a foreign person complaining they haven't received their item yet. I'm not sure about other countries, but USPS no longer even has a "surface" (aka - boat!) option. Everything is sent airmail. If their country isn't annoying and their customs doesn't suck an international package can be delivered in a matter of days, however nearly every other item I ship out to a foreign country ends up getting stuck in customs.

When this happens I give them the customs number (as it is printed on the receipt from the Post Office) and say "Please contact your local post office and they might be able to find out why it's being held up in customs and help you get it released". Nearly every time they want to continue to question me as to where it is. Without fail it shows up a few days later.

If I were you I would have asked her if she had a customs number. If not, really you're kind of retarded for ordering a metal device full of flammable liquid from overseas. I'm sure it's stuck in our customs and you might never get it because you ordered a metal device full of flammable liquid from overseas.

Not to be a dick, but the eBay idiot here is you. Sorry bro!

As a seller, nothing annoys me more than a foreign person complaining they haven't received their item yet. I'm not sure about other countries, but USPS no longer even has a "surface" (aka - boat!) option. Everything is sent airmail. If their country isn't annoying and their customs doesn't suck an international package can be delivered in a matter of days, however nearly every other item I ship out to a foreign country ends up getting stuck in customs.

When this happens I give them the customs number (as it is printed on the receipt from the Post Office) and say "Please contact your local and they might be able to find out why it's being held up in customs and help you get it released". Nearly every time they want to continue to question me as to where it is. Without fail it shows up a few days later.

If I were you I would have asked her if she had a customs number. If not, really you're kind of retarded for ordering a metal device full of flammable liquid from overseas. I'm sure it's stuck in our customs and you might never get it because you ordered a metal device full of flammable liquid from overseas.

Not to be a dick, but the eBay idiot here is you. Sorry bro!

I really doubt it has the fluid in it.

hardrockzombies: thanks a ton, that would be great!

a few things, martin.

at first i wasn't complaining about not receiving the item. i was merely asking if it had been sent and if she had proof of that. if she would have given me a customs number (like you say that you do), that would have been the end of it. i wouldn't have filed a claim, i wouldn't have even sent her another message. but she didn't send me any proof that she actually did send it.

also, the auction never said that the lighter had fluid in it. if it did, the seller would be pretty stupid to try to send that through customs, not me for ordering it. and if you didn't know, you can empty a lighter of its fluid removing that problem.

thank you for your insight, though. i'll keep it in mind next time i order a lighter from an overseas seller.

hardrockzombies: thanks a ton, that would be great!

a few things, martin.

at first i wasn't complaining about not receiving the item. i was merely asking if it had been sent and if she had proof of that. if she would have given me a customs number (like you say that you do), that would have been the end of it. i wouldn't have filed a claim, i wouldn't have even sent her another message. but she didn't send me any proof that she actually did send it.

also, the auction never said that the lighter had fluid in it. if it did, the seller would be pretty stupid to try to send that through customs, not me for ordering it. and if you didn't know, you can empty a lighter of its fluid removing that problem.

thank you for your insight, though. i'll keep it in mind next time i order a lighter from an overseas seller.

Dan, No problem. He should be home between 12-12:30.

Also unless the auction stated the lighter had been used you would have had no reason to expect it would have ever had fluid inside of it.