Apple Tablet

Well looks like this is happening after all.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/07/28/apple-tablet-launch-brought-forward-115875-21553726/

[image]

this is a just a mock up. no one really knows what it looks like. but everyone has their suspicions. but we do know apple is gonna have one out pretty soon.

this would make photoshop pretty fucking rad if it can be used with a stylus.. goodbye wacom tablet!!

thoughts?

I haven't understood why someone would want this, ever since the rumors started going around. Inputting text on that thing would be a huge pain in the ass.

No more a pain than netbooks.

How so? I've had no trouble typing on a netbook. Once you remove all of the keys, you've got no real way to differentiate between what you're hitting unless you're constantly watching every move. (The on-screen works great on a device like the iPhone due to its size, but on a large scale like this, where one would be typing "traditionally" with their hands, I just don't see how it'd work. I'm sure Apple has something in mind, but so far I just don't get it.)

Having physical keys or not, its not like the keyboard is moving on the screen. Further, you're looking at the screen to check what you're typing, just like you would with anything, except in this case the keyboard is on screen too. So you're watching by default.

This thing is going to flop. It's basically going to be a big Touch, which is pretty useless.

Yeah, the Touch was a total flop...

This thing is going to flop. It's basically going to be a big Touch, which is pretty useless.

I didn't say the Touch was a flop, I said it was useless. I know a guy who has one and I'm still confused as to why someone would want a iPhone sans phone.

(Crossed out due to it already being stated for me)

This thing will probably retail at $799, which is more price prohibitive than the $229 a Touch is.

Added : It really depends on if this is a full Tablet PC or a big screened iPod Touch. Based on the info I've heard (which there is little out there), it's likely the latter.

I didn't say the Touch was a flop, I said it was useless. I know a guy who has one and I'm still confused as to why someone would want a iPhone sans phone.

This thing will probably retail at $799, which is more price prohibitive than the $229 a Touch is.

Maybe because you want to check your email on the road, don't want AT&T, and don't already own an iPod?

And shit, people paid $399 or the Touch when it came out without issue. So $799 for what equates to a basic computer seems like a decent deal to me.

And lastly, if you can't imagine why people would buy a Touch, yet it sells quite well, what makes you think you'd understand a tablet Mac? And further, what makes you believe you're the targeted market?

Maybe because you want to check your email on the road, don't want AT&T, and don't already own an iPod?

And shit, people paid $399 or the Touch when it came out without issue. So $799 for what equates to a basic computer seems like a decent deal to me.

And lastly, if you can't imagine why people would buy a Touch, yet it sells quite well, what makes you think you'd understand a tablet Mac? And further, what makes you believe you're the targeted market?

This will likely NOT be a tablet PC. A tablet PC is a full fledged laptop type computer. This is going to be a netbook that you can play movies and music on.

That being said, I never underestimate the ability of Apple to market products and Apple fanatics ability to buy them.

Where I'm lost on this is that you can buy a laptop which will connect you to the internet, play music, movies, and you'll even be able run full apps for significantly less than this will retail for. It won't have an Apple logo on it, however.

He didn't say the iPod Touch was a flop. He's saying a big iPod Touch is useless, and that's why this will flop. I personally don't see any sort of practicality in a device like this (as a computer, at least).

Do you own or would you ever purchase an ultra-portable laptop or a netbook?

Depends what you would consider ultra-portable.

I wouldn't stick this in the same category as ultra-portables or netbooks though, especially given the lack of known information regarding it. (I'm sure it'll be too expensive to actually compete with most netbooks, anyways, so I can't imagine them wanting to market it as one.)

And in regards to what you said to Martin - I own an iPhone. I own an iPod Touch. I own a handful of other Apple devices, as well. I understand why people would want all of them - but I still don't understand this.

Netbooks are cheap pieces of crap, running poorly designed software for their hardware specs. I would be 100% sure if Apple come out with their version of a netbook tabletized it would be far from cheap feeling, acting, or working.

Two easy, relatively honest use cases for it:

1) You're current Laptop/Desktop dies, you notice you're only doing email, web surfing, music, and picture management at home. You're monitor is old, needs replacing putting the cost of much of anything of decent value at near $750. You don't really want a cheap Dell desktop taking up a ton of room. ($500 for the PC, $200 for a monitor, $50 for a keyboard/mouse setup)

2) You need something for the road with the ability to use Wi-Fi so you can stay connected with the office and do more than your Blackberry or iPhone would allow easily.

Further there's been rumors about this "thing" being able to access celluar networks or being sold/subsidized through a cell phone carrier like Verizon.

Do you own or would you ever purchase an ultra-portable laptop or a netbook?

I wouldn't stick this in the same category as ultra-portables or netbooks though, especially given the lack of known information regarding it. (I'm sure it'll be too expensive to actually compete with most netbooks, anyways, so I can't imagine them wanting to market it as one.)

And in regards to what you said to Martin - I own an iPhone. I own an iPod Touch. I own a handful of other Apple devices, as well. I understand why people would want all of them - but I still don't understand this.

You own an iPhone and a Touch? Please explain why. (I'm not saying this sarcastically).

Netbooks are cheap pieces of crap, running poorly designed software for their hardware specs. I would be 100% sure if Apple come out with their version of a netbook tabletized it would be far from cheap feeling, acting, or working.

That doesn't change the fact that you could buy a decent laptop cheaper.

Steve Jobs could take his daily shits, put an Apple logo on them, and call then an iTurds and a bunch of dudes who drive Volkswagens and sip mocha lattes at Starbucks will line up to buy them.

Steve Jobs could take his daily shits, put an Apple logo on them, and call then an iTurds and a bunch of dudes who drive Volkswagens and sip mocha lattes at Starbucks will line up to buy them.

Seems like you've got an anti-Apple thing going coloring your thoughts. And as for a decent laptop, I think our definition of decent is different. And you certainly can't buy a decent laptop that's a total of a few inches thick and weighs less than 5 pounds for less than or even as much as $799. I would venture a guess that any ultra-portable full-blown laptop is at least $1500.

You own an iPhone and a Touch? Please explain why. (I'm not saying this sarcastically).

Poor planning, mostly. Got the iPod Touch right when they came out, as I needed a new iPod, and it sounded like a fun gadget. Then, fast forward 18 months, Alltel fucks me over, so we switch to AT&T, and the iPhone 3G is more or less the opposite of everything I hated in my last phone. (Now, the iPod Touch just stays in my glove box, connected to my car stereo)

Seems like you've got an anti-Apple thing going coloring your thoughts. And as for a decent laptop, I think our definition of decent is different. And you certainly can't buy a decent laptop that's a total of a few inches thick and weighs less than 5 pounds for less than or even as much as $799. I would venture a guess that any ultra-portable full-blown laptop is at least $1500.

I own an iPod. I'm not anti-Apple, I'm anti-blind allegiance.

All of this conjecture is moot as nothing firm has been released yet. I'll defer until it's launch.

When's the last time an Apple product flopped?

Several times in the 80's (one of which was very similar to tablet based systems). Besides, just because a company is running on a series of successful products doesn't mean they're flop proof.

As for this piece, I haven't really looked it over so I can't say but the likelihood of it flopping is slim. Apple still has the extreme cult of personality and it would take several poor products to shake that.

I think its pretty cool, and i am sure the apple fan boys will snap them up. I just don't like how much of the screen is taken up by the keyboard. Also how easy it will be to type on when it isn't laying down. I mean on your lap cool, but i can't see it working on a desk. And if you're holding it in one hand then typing is going to be an issue again.