wireless router help

alright so i live in an apartment technically 3 but he rents it out the 5 people but anyway

the router is upstairs and im the only person downstairs and i get shitty wireless signal, half the time i cant even connect

so question....

if i buy my own router to used could i just get a long ethernet cable and connect it to the other router so i have my own downstairs

... in lame mans terms can i connect two wireless routers together

hopefully that make sense

thanks

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

That site should have a list, and everything you need to know. It's pretty easy, most routers it's just using the webgui to upgrade the firmware, some require some external programs to do it, but even then it's still easy. I'm sure you can find a cheap $20-30 router that works with dd-wrt. I got a Linksys WRT54Gv4 off ebay for $20 used, and it's an excellent router with dd-wrt.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

That site should have a list, and everything you need to know. It's pretty easy, most routers it's just using the webgui to upgrade the firmware, some require some external programs to do it, but even then it's still easy. I'm sure you can find a cheap $20-30 router that works with dd-wrt. I got a Linksys WRT54Gv4 off ebay for $20 used, and it's an excellent router with dd-wrt.

thanks so much, im guna message you so i remember your username so if i have a problem maybe you can help

who needs routers. just steal your neighbor's wireless like i've been doing for a few months now.

i would but i have a pizza place and a bar right next to me, and our town has free wireless that is ok but im to scared to use it cause i dont wana get busted for downloading or anything

Is it only your laptop doing it, or does eveything drop the signal at the same time? At my old house I used to always lose internet, but could still communicate with the router but could never figure out what was wrong. Eventually I got the cable company to replace the line to my house, and that fixed the problem. I think my old wire was letting water in, but not enough to affect my TV signal just all the internet signals.

I used to have troubles with my router with the stock firmware and with a custom one until I put tomato on it, now that it's rock solid stable.

Also, it is possible to hook your wireless router up to the other one with a wire. On yours, you'd have to disable DHCP and it should work.