Pre-order fatigue: The poll

I'm kinda on the fence with this issue. On one hand, it's annoying sometimes to have paid for a record that you're not going to receive for another 4+ months (and not pre-ordering isn't an option, because many versions sell out well before the street date), but at the same time I'm antsy and like to know that I've secured myself a copy of a record, e.g. I wish DW would put the new Doomriders up for sale already, even though it's release date is not until the end of September. I just want to know I've got it. IMO, pre-orders + simultaneous downloads = the ultimate solution (for consumers, not necessarily for labels)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't really care, because i stopped buying records so often. preorders aren't that bad, because i can wait. hell, i hold off on listening to some records that i really anticipated because i wanted to hear it on vinyl first (i did this with shook ones, broadway calls, new found glory), even if that means i get it after the street date. whatever, doesn't matter. that's the nature of the beast.

yeah I've got 6-8 pre-orders I'm currently waiting on right now. And I'm still waiting for Thrice vinyl, Russian Circles, Pelican, and Junius to go up. Fucking take that, bank account.

haha great taste there man! add converge, doomriders, polar bear club, baroness, (hopefully) oceansize pre-orders in the somewhat near future as well!

This is an issue I've thought about with my label as well. I'd like to just wait to do pre orders until I have them in hand, but the truth is, it just hasn't been possible yet for me. All the cash I pull in from pre orders goes straight into production costs for the record, which makes the record come out way sooner than if I didn't do pre orders.

From a consumer point of view, I'm with Flood. I actually really like the potential random package I had forgotten about showing up on my doorstep. I've become completely used to waiting and have now problem doing so. A perfect example is the Thrice box set. Preordered when it went up, waited months and months, almost forgot about it, it finally shows up and is totally worth the wait.

I certainly don't like pre-orders where you pay for something and then wait months for anything to happen!!

I'm sorry if it makes sound like an impatient.........but when I pay for something I'd quite like to see some return pretty quickly, it's hard enough sometimes waiting 10-12 days for international shipping, but over 100 days (OWTH/Lemuria 7") is not acceptable in my opinion!!!!

In my store I won't post anything until I have it in hand, but I post messages of what's due so people know what to expect! if they then decide to order it from another distro (and pay) on a pre-order then that's up to them I'm afraid.

Isn't there a way where if you need to do pre-orders to guarantee sales of something or whatever reason, but you don't actually take the money until it's in hand, that would encourage me to put my name down for something!!!

• 3 months later...

I wanted to bump this, because it seemed like the insane pre-orders died down for a little, but are starting back up again. We're getting announcements in December for records that don't come out until April and pre-orders that don't start until February. We're getting pre-pre-order notifications.

I never got why anyone would pay for a record that not only wasn't in the distributor's hands, but did not exist in any form at all. That's like going to your weed man's house and being like, "here's the money for an eighth, but I'm just going to stick around while you run that money to the grower's, let them buy some seeds with it, and take six months or so to get the crop tended. I realize that the plants might die or any number of people involved could fuck it up somehow, but it's totally cool because the green w/ red hairs variant is going to look siiiick."

I never got why anyone would pay for a record that not only wasn't in the distributor's hands, but did not exist in any form at all. That's like going to your weed man's house and being like, "here's the money for an eighth, but I'm just going to stick around while you run that money to the grower's, let them buy some seeds with it, and take six months or so to get the crop tended. I realize that the plants might die or any number of people involved could fuck it up somehow, but it's totally cool because the green w/ red hairs variant is going to look siiiick."

But say there were only 500 seeds in existence, wouldn't you try to get them before someone buys 10 of them and then sells those seeds for triple what you could have originally bought them for.

a big problem that could arise with putting up pre-orders 2 or 3 months ahead of the expected release date is in the worst case scenario is you get a shady label and they never send you the record, if you paid through paypal it would most likely be well past the window to file a paypal claim and you wouldn't be able to get a refund very easily if at all.

i know why labels and distros put things up for pre-order, but i still think there should be some kind of maximize amount of time you could put things up for sale ahead of the release date. i think 1 month should be the max.

Just so we're straight on the analogy here, records = smokable product; seeds are roughly = petroleum that's used to make raw vinyl that's then pressed into records. My point is that it's a long road from seeds to a sack of herb. If you were after seeds, then yeah, buy 'em up. But there are too many variables to throw your money into a product that may or may not come into fruition.

post of the year

For the record, I'm all for pre-orders for the exact reason you mean, tellallyourfriends, but labels shouldn't sell something that doesn't exist. People that front money for a hypothetical product are called venture capitalists and they get a percentage of the profits/company share not one unit of the product sold.

No one wants a record to take as long as it does.

I personally don't like posting pre orders till I have test pressings in hand. We don't do package deals with"bigger" pressing plants for this reason. That way if something happens with one thing it doesn't delay the whole record. I try to ship in the order people order and offer cool incentives ther than color vinyl for pre orders. I honestly appreciate peoples help with pre orders.