80's vinyl records?

Hey,

I've just written a topic like this on on Dead Format, I've just found out about Dead Format and Vinyl Collective and I'm loving it but I've noticed whenever I find a vinyl collectors community online it is specially geared towards punk/hardcore/metalcore, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, nothing whatsoever, I was just wondering why it's like this? Does anyone have any theories?

Also, is there anyone out there that is into 80's records? (I'm not talking about 80's hardcore which I've noticed a lot of people here are into :) I'm talking about new wave, post-punk, some synthpop maybe) anyone? I love the 80's and I collect 80's new wave and post-punk records and I always find it really really difficult to meet other people who also like and collect 80's vinyl.

I have some (not much) 80's records that I have as doubles and would like to trade for any other 80's vinyl, so if any of you would like that check out my Dead Format tradelist and if you have any 80's records you are willing to trade that are not on my list and if you want any of the ones I have up for trade as doubles do let me know and I'd love to trade :)

http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/CharlotteSometimes

Hello there, welcome to the board.

I can't really answer your question i'm afraid. I think it has something to do with the independent aspects or the punk/metal/hardcore/indie scene, and the fact that they embrace the internet to share information and brag about their finds. I have a few friends that collect 70's/80's music, mainly blues and rock but are complete technophobes...not sure if there is a connection there or not.

Hang around though, i am sure there are a few people floating about here with similar tastes.

Being very old! I have lots of 80's New Wave/Goth type stuff: Teardrop Explodes, Echo & The Bunnymen, Ultravox, Bauhaus etc etc, and I'm not into getting rid of any of it, I actively search for similar stuff in 2nd hand shops!

On a personal level I feel that during that time there wasn't the care taken in the production of vinyl, much of it is very flimsy and the packaging was rarely very interesting either!!

Short answer: in the 1980s, everything was pressed on black vinyl and limited to the millions. Now, everything is on 20 different colors of vinyl all limited to 15 copies each. Easier for people to nerd out over.

Slightly longer answer: Vinyl Collective sells new vinyl. Until recently, punk/hardcore and the like dominated vinyl production (outside of DJ stuff, that is) so it makes sense that the site would draw in mostly people interested in those sorts of music. Plenty of people are into what you're looking for, and I'm sure you'll find them sooner or later.

Being very old! I have lots of 80's New Wave/Goth type stuff: Teardrop Explodes, Echo & The Bunnymen, Ultravox, Bauhaus etc etc, and I'm not into getting rid of any of it, I actively search for similar stuff in 2nd hand shops!

On a personal level I feel that during that time there wasn't the care taken in the production of vinyl, much of it is very flimsy and the packaging was rarely very interesting either!!

agreed....the packaging, and artwork often looked like an afterthought, or something put together by committee. A fair bit of those records were recorded in amazing rooms, and they sound quite good sonically.

Those collectors are out there for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if someone started moving from punk to new wave to just 80's pop. Once someone gets a complete or nearly complete collection of a specific artist or label, they start moving towards the next thing that sparks their interest.

Punk and Indie records are an easy "gateway drug". New wave, 80's is a natural transition. Oingo Boingo has an extensive discog, bands like the Cure, Smiths, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, once you start down one of those paths, you will notice there are many pieces out there. A lot of exclusive foreign presses, 12" singles with exclusive mixes, etc.

I bet there are people who post on here that actually have a lot of that, but just don't talk about it. The only reason being that it's put away and not thought of as much anymore.

Welcome to the board.

Those collectors are out there for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if someone started moving from punk to new wave to just 80's pop. Once someone gets a complete or nearly complete collection of a specific artist or label, they start moving towards the next thing that sparks their interest.

Punk and Indie records are an easy "gateway drug". New wave, 80's is a natural transition. Oingo Boingo has an extensive discog, bands like the Cure, Smiths, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, once you start down one of those paths, you will notice there are many pieces out there. A lot of exclusive foreign presses, 12" singles with exclusive mixes, etc.

I bet there are people who post on here that actually have a lot of that, but just don't talk about it. The only reason being that it's put away and not thought of as much anymore.

Welcome to the board.

this!

no joke that just happend. i went from working on my fifteen/crimpshrine collection...and noticed myself buying more records from the cure to finish my collection....i have a long way to go but i however did pick up wild mood swings double lp yesterday on ebay.

growing up with 3 older brothers i managed to hear alof of different kinds of music.....i love punk and hardcore...but bands i love just as much have a way different sound...(rush, the cure, and even some classical)

welcome to the board.

Dude your not old! just experienced ;)

This reminds me how outside of Queen, I hate the 80s.

It's bands like Queen that make me hate the 80's but there were some great bands around:

Husker Du, Killing Joke, Jesus And Mary Chain, New Model Army, Theatre Of Hate, Josef K

and that's just a few I can remember seeing live!

Dude, you are probably going to disagree but that list is seriously lacking an all time great, King David Coverdale. Everyone should have a place in their heart for a bit of Whitesnake!

Dude your not old! just experienced ;)

It's bands like Queen that make me hate the 80's but there were some great bands around:

Husker Du, Killing Joke, Jesus And Mary Chain, New Model Army, Theatre Of Hate, Josef K

and that's just a few I can remember seeing live!

Dude, you are probably going to disagree but that list is seriously lacking an all time great, King David Coverdale. Everyone should have a place in their heart for a bit of Whitesnake!

"Slow n' Easy" is one of my fave Whitesnake tunes.

I was a product of the 70s and was brought up on rock music, so that is most of what i listened to till around 82' when i branched out into pop. Mind you i still listen to metal and what not, but i am particularly found of 80's music. Dead or Alive, Oingo Boingo, The Psychedelic Furs, Talking Heads, Flock of Seagulls and shit like that.