Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

I did. that's all you could do for most labels. i remember sometimes waiting 4-7 months (even a year) to get a package too (fucking lookout)

Never for Ebullition but I would always send checks/money orders/filled out forms for records out of the Epitaph/Anti, Fat, Lookout, Hopeless, Rev, Victory, etc. catalogs. I ended up with two copies of the Operation Ivy LP once because it was the first record I ever mailordered, it never came and I bought it when I saw it at a store assuming I'd been ripped off and it would never come. Then, about eight months later it finally showed up. Not like you could file a Paypal claim or anything of the sort back then either.

Oh wow, you must be a real punk. Do you have a mohawk?

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

Never for Ebullition but I would always send checks/money orders/filled out forms for records out of the Epitaph/Anti, Fat, Lookout, Hopeless, Rev, Victory, etc. catalogs. I ended up with two copies of the Operation Ivy LP once because it was the first record I ever mailordered, it never came and I bought it when I saw it at a store assuming I'd been ripped off and it would never come. Then, about eight months later it finally showed up. Not like you could file a Paypal claim or anything of the sort back then either.

Oh wow, you must be a real punk. Do you have a mohawk?

Oh god. I'm not getting involved in this argument nor was I trying to, I was just agreeing with controlthebleeding that I used to physical mailorder too and was reminiscing. Am I going to lie and deny what music I liked growing up, and shit, what I still do listen to?

Oh man, that just reminded me about ordering from Rev on the phone!! That shit was awesome because I was a nervous teenager. Like... I couldn't order a PIZZA. So it took all of my nuts to actually call REV and I had to reach down even further to make sure that the Chain of Strength LP would be on green. I think the chick must have appreciated my nervousness because the LP came with an XL Revelation gas station shirt. It went really well with my stove pipe leg jeans.

Guest genericinsight
Oh man, that just reminded me about ordering from Rev on the phone!! That shit was awesome because I was a nervous teenager. Like... I couldn't order a PIZZA. So it took all of my nuts to actually call REV and I had to reach down even further to make sure that the Chain of Strength LP would be on green. I think the chick must have appreciated my nervousness because the LP came with an XL Revelation gas station shirt. It went really well with my stove pipe leg jeans.

haha I ordered from Rev as well as Moon Ska on the phone a few times. Once Rev called me to let me know they were out of my shirt size. I was a little shocked they even did that.

I did. that's all you could do for most labels. i remember sometimes waiting 4-7 months (even a year) to get a package too (fucking lookout)

I kind of enjoy how easy the internet has made ordering things (not just records, but pretty much anything). Records are the exception but in general, I HATE shopping, I hate going to malls, so being able to order Christmas presents online is an absolute wonderful thing at times.

you know what the weird thing is.. when i was ordering strictly with M.O.'s from 88' to around 98', i never once got ripped off. i eventually always got my records. Even when i'd order MEatshits and Neanderthal records from the back pages of MRR, i'd still get them. talk about dumb luck. ONce i actually got a Christ on the Crutch record from New Red Archives a while year and a half later. I had already forgot about it, and then it showed up. Talk about excited.

my personal favorite mailorder was always with Dave from VERY SMALL or Chris Dodge or Max from SPAZZ. between those labels, my checks would support them. ANd i loved getting fliers with humorous letters written on them. Chris is a fucking cut up i do say so myself.

i love shopping online now.. but part of me still goes out to record stores to look for rarer vinyl.

Guest genericinsight
You're older than me, yet you listened (maybe still do?) music for NO YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP, DAD! teenagers.

How is Brooklyn treating you, house white?

If that's a stab trying to assume I'm some transplant hipster, maybe I should send you my address. I'm not cool. I've lived here my whole life in south Brooklyn, and yeah, I still live at home because its too expensive to afford this city. The second I get enough money, I'm out of here. Not that any of this matters to you, you probably won't believe that anyway. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me when I wasn't trying to prove anything? I was just reminiscing about mailordering records pre-Internet.

I could lie about being born with Rites of Spring or Embrace records rocking me to sleep in my crib but I'd rather be honest. I find nothing wrong with continuing to listen to music that moved you in the years when you needed it most.

You're older than me, yet you listened (maybe still do?) music for NO YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP, DAD! teenagers.

How is Brooklyn treating you, house white?

If that's a stab trying to assume I'm some transplant hipster, maybe I should send you my address. I'm not cool. I've lived here my whole life in south Brooklyn, and yeah, I still live at home because its too expensive to afford this city. The second I get enough money, I'm out of here. Not that any of this matters to you, you probably won't believe that anyway. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me when I wasn't trying to prove anything? I was just reminiscing about mailordering records pre-Internet.

I could lie about being born with Rites of Spring or Embrace records rocking me to sleep in my crib but I'd rather be honest.

Alright, I'm sorry.

I find nothing wrong with continuing to listen to music that moved you in the years when you needed it most.

But not for this.

Guest genericinsight

I could lie about being born with Rites of Spring or Embrace records rocking me to sleep in my crib but I'd rather be honest.

Alright, I'm sorry.

I find nothing wrong with continuing to listen to music that moved you in the years when you needed it most.

But not for this.

What's the big deal with listening to music you grew up listening to? I also used to mail order from Rev too, I just left them off my list. Yes, I grew up in the Epitaph/Fat era and I have no shame. My favorite band of all time is a Fat Wreck Chords band. I've grown to love, appreciate and respect all other music as I've gotten older but seriously, I refuse to deny the place that got me to where I am now because I wouldn't be here without it. Don't deny your roots. It just makes you look silly.

Haha, you called me a "faker". I'm supposed to take you seriously?

You run a "punk" label and think distros are irrelevant. I'm supposed to take you seriously?

I love people trying to give Brent a word of advice. "Listen, pal, I've been into this for a while now and I know what works, y'see...etc"

I just don't think it's outrageous if a band doesn't want to do a distro. I can understand that and don't get super pissed off over the idea. Maybe I just handle problems better than Brent, I dunno.

I never understood that argument. It's only ever about music. I've never once been held to forcing myself to like Sesame Street, which I watched as a little kid, or reading books I did when I was young, or dressing in Oshkosh B'gosh overalls, or even more recent things like political outlooks.

Why is it that just the music I listened to as a stupid 14 year old, and nothing else, has to follow me forever?

I used to write funny letters to No Idea because they used to say if you made them laugh they'd give you free records.

did you ever get anything?

i rarely ever got anything for free. but when i did write, i always asked if they could stick local fliers in my orders, which they did. i still have all my fliers in protective sheets.. talk about anal.

Guest genericinsight
I never understood that argument. It's only ever about music. I've never once been held to forcing myself to like Sesame Street, which I watched as a little kid, or reading books I did when I was young, or dressing in Oshkosh B'gosh overalls, or even more recent things like political outlooks.

Why is it that just the music I listened to as a stupid 14 year old, and nothing else, has to follow me forever?

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. Maybe I also just still like the music I liked when I was 14. Some of my favorite bands from then aren't necessarily just Fat or Epitaph bands either. I know plenty of folks my age and older who still rock the same bands they did when they were kids. Especially if it was music that seriously influenced you.

You watched Sesame Street and wore Osh Kosh B'Gosh overalls as a 14 year old?

Don't be that guy.

I used to write funny letters to No Idea because they used to say if you made them laugh they'd give you free records.

did you ever get anything?

Yeah, every time.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. Maybe I also just still like the music I liked when I was 14. Some of my favorite bands from then aren't necessarily just Fat or Epitaph bands either. I know plenty of folks my age and older who still rock the same bands they did when they were kids. Especially if it was music that seriously influenced you.

i know i do:

[image]

[image]