Who masters and presses your records?

I know there are a bunch of label people on here and probably a ton of these threads already (I keep getting an error when I try to search). I'm debating releasing a record on a label of my own and was wondering who uses what companies? Or who to avoid and why? Thanks in advance for any info.

I primarily use Dave Eck / Lucky Lacquers for lacquer mastering

but have used Aardvark Mastering and Prairie Cat Mastering for lacquer cutting(I believe Mastercraft plates them all)

Rainbo for vinyl pressing primarily.

have used Musicol, United, Pirates Press, Alpha Music.

I'd go with the Lucky Lacquers -> Rainbo connection

United is a luck of the draw whether or not they will screw you over or be one of the lucky few who aren't on a regular basis.

Musicol is slow, but do a decent job

Alpha is better than United and Musicol but they sometimes have communication issues

Pirates Press is good, quick, but expensive and in the Czech Republic. so if it's worth it to outsource work to another country, do it. but there are at least 15 pressing plants in America that you should consider first.

everything at asian man records is done with dave and rainbo. at a point we did use pirates press but we've gotten back the mike hale/chris wollard plates and are now being done at rainbo.

I primarily use Dave Eck / Lucky Lacquers for lacquer mastering

but have used Aardvark Mastering and Prairie Cat Mastering for lacquer cutting(I believe Mastercraft plates them all)

Rainbo for vinyl pressing primarily.

have used Musicol, United, Pirates Press, Alpha Music.

I'd go with the Lucky Lacquers -> Rainbo connection

United is a luck of the draw whether or not they will screw you over or be one of the lucky few who aren't on a regular basis.

Musicol is slow, but do a decent job

Alpha is better than United and Musicol but they sometimes have communication issues

Pirates Press is good, quick, but expensive and in the Czech Republic. so if it's worth it to outsource work to another country, do it. but there are at least 15 pressing plants in America that you should consider first.

looks like im the oddball here

Mastering - Richard Simpson/Infransonic Sound - Dude does incredible work and there is no substitute for being able to go to his studio and watch/listen to my releases get cut. Did a lot of dance/club records, tons of stuff for the mars volta and queens of the stone age, and now does a lot of stuff for "punk" labels. Also is one of the in house engineers/mastering guys at Erika.

Plating gets done at Mastercraft

Pressing - Bill Smith Custom Records - No complaints whatsoever, both Dennis and Kevin have both been extremely helpful with me. My projects get turned around in an efficient manner and I'm able to drive up and pick them up. Don't think I'd ever go elsewhere barring something major occurs.

looks like im the oddball here

Mastering - Richard Simpson/Infransonic Sound - Dude does incredible work and there is no substitute for being able to go to his studio and watch/listen to my releases get cut. Did a lot of dance/club records, tons of stuff for the mars volta and queens of the stone age, and now does a lot of stuff for "punk" labels. Also is one of the in house engineers/mastering guys at Erika.

Plating gets done at Mastercraft

Pressing - Bill Smith Custom Records - No complaints whatsoever, both Dennis and Kevin have both been extremely helpful with me. My projects get turned around in an efficient manner and I'm able to drive up and pick them up. Don't think I'd ever go elsewhere barring something major occurs.

I wish i lived close enough to places that did this as well...I might use Bill Smith for the upcoming Mexican Cheerleader LP as I won't need to press 500 copies of that one, maybe 200. Most people I know that use Bill Smith have loved what they do...so...I look forward to doing something there!

Bob Weston cuts lacquers in town but I would need to get on a 2-3 month waiting list to get in to his studio and he's more expensive than Dave as well...and I can barely plan on where I'll be living in 3 months let alone planning mastering appointments...

Guest kylewilliam

i've used united, two records came out great, one was horrific.

i am dedicated to lucky laquers for mastering, dave is a top notch dude. and i will switch between a & r and rainbo in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

For audio mastering Carl Saff is great and easy to work with. For cutting the record Dave from Lucky Lacquers is the ONLY way to go. It's so nice dealing with someone who is doing it out of love for records plus keeping a step of production within the punk community is always a plus. Talking to him on the phone and over email you can tell just how much he loves what he's doing which is really refreshing.

I just pressed a record at A+R and it is by far the best plant I've ever worked with. Great quality, great prices, ridiculously expedient and they are genuinely nice and helpful.

Anybody use http://www.eksmfg.com/ pressing in New York? I just got a quote from them and it was very reasonable. I've never heard of anybody using them before so that's my only hesitation.

will at eks is a good dude. pressed the ipsissimus 12" i put out on hot air press. no complaints.

• 1 month later...