Fest 9

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post some places that I really like with approximate prices without drinks.

Buddha Belly (just changed their name to Tasty Buddha lol what a bad name)/Steamers:

They're pretty much the same restaurant, but in different locations. Steamers if only a couple blocks from the Holiday Inn. I'm not even vegetarian, but I eat the veggie only stuff when I'm there because it's so good and reasonably priced. I'd go with the Happy Belly Tempeh Burger combo or Tofu fried rice. About $6.50 for each. Get the curry ranch to dip your fries in.

La Tienda:

Super authentic Mexican food. A little bit out of the way of the venues, but close if you're staying at the hotels on sw 13th st. I always go with the chorizo con queso, but everything is pretty good if you like real mexican food. They've got some weird meats too like goat and beef tongue and whatnot. $5-7.

Boca Fiesta is cool of course, although I think $3 a taco is a little on the expensive side. They've got a full bar though, which is a definite plus for most Festers. Cool atmosphere as well. Last time I was in there they were playing Strikeforce Diablo.

Caribbean Spice:

A weird little storefront on university between the Holiday Inn and 1982. Only one guy works there so they have unpredictable hours. You're usually safe if you go between 12 and 4, although he runs out of stuff towards the end of the day so you'll most likely only get to choose between veggie or ground beef patties. He only serves 3 things, jerk patties, delicious bread, and baked dessert. It's really cheap. I think the combo for a drink, patty, cake and bread is $4.50. Patties are $2 or something by themselves. It's great for a quick snack.

Everybody raves about reggae shack, but I'm honestly not a huge fan. It will take you at least an hour to eat there, probably closer to 2 during the fest I'd imagine, and when I've been there the service has sucked. Last time I they accidentally gave my friend's food to someone else, which we noticed because they got their food after only being there for 15 minutes or so, while we had been waiting for over an hour. The guy they gave his food to sent it back since it wasn't what he ordered, and my friend just decided to get a refund. As he was at the counter asking, the chef overheard and grabbed the plate that was returned and told him it was ready, but we watched the dude that had it before take a few bites out of it already.

Gyro Plus has great Mediterranean food. I think just a gyro runs about $6. It's close to 1982.

If anyone is looking for something specific, let me know, and I'll try to recommend something.

Sure dude. Just PM me when it gets closer to Fest and I'll get you my number. I could give it to you now, but you'll probably forget what it's for by the time Fest comes along.

You could be my liaison on Tuesday before the Suis La Lune show, I'm planning on getting to Gainesville kind of early, mainly to wonder around.

I'd like to hit up a record store or two and find something good to eat. You going to be available?

Sure dude. Just PM me when it gets closer to Fest and I'll get you my number. I could give it to you now, but you'll probably forget what it's for by the time Fest comes along.

You could be my liaison on Tuesday before the Suis La Lune show, I'm planning on getting to Gainesville kind of early, mainly to wonder around.

I'd like to hit up a record store or two and find something good to eat. You going to be available?

I'm actually probably going to be out of town most of the day. My friend is home for a couple days after being in Kuwait for the last few months, and he's got to go back soon, so I'm going to go see him monday and tuesday, but I'm aiming to be back tuesday night for the show. If you tell me what kind of food you are interested in, I could suggest something. Otherwise check out my earlier post where I talked about my favorite restaurants.

As for record stores, we have a couple. I'm guessing the place Mike is talking about is Sharpes near the Holiday Inn. I never go in there. It's 99.9% dollar bin classic rock that is overpriced, and the few punk/hardcore/indie records he gets in every year aren't really good deals anyways. Wayward Council is also on University a block away from 1982, and they have the best punk/hardcore selection. The only thing that stinks is that they have hardly any used records, which is what I mainly buy. Their selection and prices are solid though. There's also Hyde and Zeke's on NW 10th Ave. There's a lot of junk to sift through, but he has some decent selection, and I've gotten a ton of awesome scores there. I shop here the most. For whatever reason he doesn't really advertise to Festers, so pretty much no one coming to town for Fest knows about Hyde and Zeke's, since it's a little out of the way. It's definitely worth checking out if you have the time and transport.

Oh yeah, and wayward is open like, 24 hours a day during Fest, but Hyde and Zekes and Sharpes both close around 5.

ryan i was speaking of wayward council. Last time i went there i didn't find anything I wouldn't see sifting through no idea's catalog. I want to visit a record store where i can find more used punk vinyl that isn't florida based or even metal.

Besides i hate going in there because the last time i was in there they were playing STIKKY and I said something about who put this shit on it's awesome, and some crusty punk said "What would i know about this band", like the dude was even listening to stikky 20 years ago. the motherfucker was probably barely old enough to buy beer if that. It soured me on that whole place.

Wayward does do shows, but in past years they haven't been officially part of the Fest.

And yeah, Wayward can be kind of weird sometimes. It's all volunteer run and no one is in charge, so as my friend put it once, it can be a crusty clubhouse. And yeah, they get the majority of their records from No Idea because No Idea is willing to front them records and get the cash back later.

I would definitely check out Hyde and Zekes. Every once and awhile he'll get in some really rad collections and price some gems super cheap. Plus Charlie is a nice dude, and business really seems to be hurting lately.

I felt a little out of place the first couple of times I went to Wayward to check out records. I'm a little older and don't look the "part" of everyone else in the store, but when I dropped a bunch of cash there a couple of times, they seemed to be happy when I came in again.

Actually, last time I was there, I talked about music with this girl who was working there for about an hour. I don't have a problem with Wayward Council - I just shrug off that punker thank thou attitude they might have.

Agreed with about Hyde & Zeke's, too!

Ch-ch-check 'em out.

And yeah, Wayward can be kind of weird sometimes. It's all volunteer run and no one is in charge, so as my friend put it once, it can be a crusty clubhouse.

I would definitely check out Hyde and Zekes.

I plan on once again getting my day job to sponsor the event, thus assuring me free travel, lodging and late-night pizza delivery for whoever happens to be hanging out with me at the time.

and also letting me and Chris borrow the credit card!

should be there barring any major disaster

I will probs be joining you once again, as long is the lineup is still gr8!

my last underage fest :(

Mine was last yr. SUCKER! ;)