Who lives in a smaller twon

stefan

Guest scriptedrain

I live in an area of 200,000 people and we just got our first record store downtown.

And for the record, Fargo is not like the movie at all. That movie was shot in northern Minnesota and only one scene is set in Fargo (when they're in the bar), but I'm not sure it was even filmed in ND either. It's actually a quite populated area and "boasts" the largest shopping mall between Minneapolis and Seattle (insert laughs here), as well as the largest sports store in the world (Scheel's HQ store).

- Jeff

My county (duval) in jacksonville has 826,436 people as of 2005 census, however we only have 2 small record shops in town. one at the beach just started carrying vinyl and doesnt have anything good, and the other is pretty cool but very small. We used to have an awesome vinyl only store but they went under a few years ago.

I love tracking down stores while on vacation. i remember one in atlanta that was rather fantastic but that was about 7 years ago and there is one in Charlotte that was right around the college that was very awesome. i think i got for you lungs only (used), as friends rust - 7" on blue and a couple of me first 7"s and everything was soooo cheap.

Guest falloutcollapse

i live in lindenhurst, il, population 14,403. we don't have anything. no movie theaters, no music stores, and barely any other shops. there is a mcdonalds, a taco bell, a hallmark, a cvs, and some other independent food businesses. the only vinyl i have ever bought has been online, because i live an hour away from chicago.

i live in lindenhurst, il, population 14,403. we don't have anything. no movie theaters, no music stores, and barely any other shops. there is a mcdonalds, a taco bell, a hallmark, a cvs, and some other independent food businesses. the only vinyl i have ever bought has been online, because i live an hour away from chicago.

God that sounds depressing. At least growing up in Anchorage, AK I could go see movies

I live in Akron, OH, population 217,074 (according to wiki). We used to a big a much larger town way back in the days when tires were still made here (Goodyear and Firestone's HQ are still here). I wouldn't say we are a large town, or a small town, tough we are in the top 100 biggest in the country. I like this town a lot, my only complaint is the downtown is only like 4 blocks because the university has taken most of it over. The majority of the town is houses (again back to the rubber plant days, workers need houses right?). We have a few small record stores in town, but I mostly buy online.

I live in Akron, OH, population 217,074 (according to wiki). We used to a big a much larger town way back in the days when tires were still made here (Goodyear and Firestone's HQ are still here). I wouldn't say we are a large town, or a small town, tough we are in the top 100 biggest in the country. I like this town a lot, my only complaint is the downtown is only like 4 blocks because the university has taken most of it over. The majority of the town is houses (again back to the rubber plant days, workers need houses right?). We have a few small record stores in town, but I mostly buy online.

I've always heard good things about Square Records. I keep meaning to go down there one weekend...

i wish i could say i did. i hate to be one of those "i hate the city i live in, poor me" types of people because i live in a fairly nice area (scottsdale, arizona) but im really sick of living in the city. scottsdale has really turned into a big hub of mass consumerism (malls literally ever corner your turn and more springing up faster than i can count it seems). the city just doesn't really match the type of person that i am which is very low key. id love to move up to payson or flagstaff and enjoy the much, much cooler weather someday. only problem that presents is theres really just not a lot of opportunities in the more rural areas.

if you want to equate this to buying records--sure the phoenix area here has lots of record stores but in all honesty we may have a bunch of record stores but just about all of them carry complete crap. just about all my record buying these days is done online.

Guest falloutcollapse

God that sounds depressing. At least growing up in Anchorage, AK I could go see movies

closest movie theater is 7 miles away...i only travel out there to see the good ones (superbad!)

I've always heard good things about Square Records. I keep meaning to go down there one weekend...

Let me know when you do, maybe I'll stop in as well. I like Square Records quite bit, since it is right around the corner from my parents (living here until I am no longer sick). The guy who owns it is really nice, talked with him about Elliott Smith one day for quite a bit.

man, i used to love going to arizona. my grandparents had a place in mesa they'd go for winters. so awesome. i haven't been in like a dozen years, but man what fond memories i have.

i can see how people who visit here appreciate it here. the biggest advantage of living here is no earthquakes, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, etc. you just have to really be able to deal with the ridiculous temperatures during summer and the complete assholes that occupy the majority of the phoenix/scottsdale/mesa/tempe/chandler areas.

i live in santa fe, the capital of new mexico. santa fe has 60-70,000 people. our one record store just closed down. the owner said business was fine, he was just bored.

these things happen in santa fe, people close profitable businesses because they are bored.

i swear sometimes new mexico feels like bizarro world.

my town is between 90,000-100K and there is only one place that sells vinyl still open and their selection is shit. probably like 200-300 records tops and only really common stuff; none of the indie, punk, metal that i'm into.

Guest scriptedrain

closest movie theater is 7 miles away...i only travel out there to see the good ones (superbad!)

7 miles is a lot to you? You must not have your license yet. Since Superbad, have you gone to see anything? I haven't, just wondering if anything good is playing.

- Jeff

Guest falloutcollapse

7 miles is a lot to you? You must not have your license yet. Since Superbad, have you gone to see anything? I haven't, just wondering if anything good is playing.

- Jeff

license in march. three of my good friends got theirs on thursday, though, so things are alright. and the last movie i saw was superbad, sorry i can't be of any help. but i heard that nothing that great has come out since

I grew up in a small town in rural Delaware with about 500 people. I lived there until I left for college. Neeless to sayI did A LOT of mailorder record shopping. We didn't have anything. The mall a few towns over was ok and the old mall (doesn't everyone have a new mall and the one that people used to go to?) actually sold vinyl. But getting there was a chore when I was too young to drive.

i live in santa fe, the capital of new mexico. santa fe has 60-70,000 people. our one record store just closed down. the owner said business was fine, he was just bored.

these things happen in santa fe, people close profitable businesses because they are bored.

i swear sometimes new mexico feels like bizarro world.

i always though santa fe would have a lot more people than that...