Skinhead question -

sickteen

How do you decipher between a nazis that are racist and those who are not? Also what are the correct skinhead terms ? For example does neo-nazi mean a racist skinhead ? If so what would be an anti nazi that dresses up in skinhead decor and etc be called ? I need to get educated on this bit. So I appreciate all help.

And before anyone pops off with the, please go read wikipedia, I already did, and left more confused than enlightened.

I also have some follow up questions, but I need to the basis of this down first.

thanks in advance to all those who share wisdom, it's ace!

cheers,

sickteen

How do you decipher between a nazis that are racist and those who are not? Also what are the correct skinhead terms ? For example does neo-nazi mean a racist skinhead ? If so what would be an anti nazi that dresses up in skinhead decor and etc be called ? I need to get educated on this bit. So I appreciate all help.

And before anyone pops off with the, please go read wikipedia, I already did, and left more confused than enlightened.

I also have some follow up questions, but I need to the basis of this down first.

cheers,

sickteen

Neo-nazi is just a term for people who believe in nazism post WWII.

A skinhead is just a dude with a shaved head, who chooses to follow a certain fashion. A skinhead is not a nazi or a racist, in fact originally they took the influence from Jamaica. Hell, i know black skin heads.

Just like any scene or walk of life racists or nazi's are present it just happens that due to media coverage skins get labeled in to it. Don't judge them on there image it easy to find out who is a racist/nazi just by talking to them...and is no different to realising the old guy that is always sat at the bar is racist or not. Also Swastikas usually give it away!

racist nazi's live in apartments and anti-racist skins still live in their mom's basement.

(womp-womp waaaaaahhmmp-bad joke...)

if the skins are rocking any weird questionable symbols, obvious nazi symbols, ie: swastikas, SS lightning bolts, etc... or blatent things like skrewdriver, rahowa, etc... band merch or patches...or are opening displaying tattoos saying anything about "hammerskins" you have yourself a racist...

IF they're rocking S.H.A.R.P. patches or band logo patches of like the Oppressed, Oi Polloi, Oxymoron, they're proabably anti-racist.

it's a fine line they all walk...so try talking to people and touching on issues and feel them out...

dont they both dress the kinda the same? Dont the Skins love fred perry clothes? Doc martins and white laces.

From what i remember SHARPS are "skins against racism"

I havent seen any skins in atleast 8-10 years.

Yeah it's confusing. I don't think all racist skins are so overt in their beliefs either. That's why I'm trying to compile more data to inform myself on skinheads as a whole. As I was under the impression. Some skinheads are racist some are not. Besides the obvious what made the divide, and what came first ? Was the skinhead movement born from nationalism ? Which turned into racism ? etc

I pose to you this question: Why does it matter?

Maybe I'm just being an asshole here, but I've always found labels to be quite ridiculous

How do you decipher between a nazis that are racist and those who are not?

And this doesn't make sense. All Nazis are racist.

I'm trying to figure out the lineage of skinheads. It matters to me because I like being informed, not so much on labeling anyone, but it's a part of culture, and music history I want to be schooled in.

cheers,

sickteen

A skinhead is just a dude with a shaved head, who chooses to follow a certain fashion. A skinhead is not a nazi or a racist, in fact originally they took the influence from Jamaica. Hell, i know black skin heads.

Just like any scene or walk of life racists or nazi's are present it just happens that due to media coverage skins get labeled in to it. Don't judge them on there image it easy to find out who is a racist/nazi just by talking to them...and is no different to realising the old guy that is always sat at the bar is racist or not. Also Swastikas usually give it away!

Thank you for clearing up the neo-nazi term by definition. Because I've read it before in fanzines/interviews. But never knew what it was about.

So being a skinhead is a fashion statement that was spawned from Jamaica ? Not saying your wrong, there just seems to be something missing here to me...

racist nazi's live in apartments and anti-racist skins still live in their mom's basement.

(womp-womp waaaaaahhmmp-bad joke...)

if the skins are rocking any weird questionable symbols, obvious nazi symbols, ie: swastikas, SS lightning bolts, etc... or blatent things like skrewdriver, rahowa, etc... band merch or patches...or are opening displaying tattoos saying anything about "hammerskins" you have yourself a racist...

IF they're rocking S.H.A.R.P. patches or band logo patches of like the Oppressed, Oi Polloi, Oxymoron, they're proabably anti-racist.

it's a fine line they all walk...so try talking to people and touching on issues and feel them out...

Yes it is a fine line, one I'm trying to define.

Thank you for your post though. All of the posts are helpful.

Thank you for clearing up the neo-nazi term by definition. Because I've read it before in fanzines/interviews. But never knew what it was about.

So being a skinhead is a fashion statement that was spawned from Jamaica ? Not saying your wrong, there just seems to be something missing here to me...

The term Skin Head wasn't spawned from Jamaica. Original Skins were influenced by the Rude Boys coming out of Jamaica with sounds based around Reggae and Ska. It was this kind of amalgamated with the 60's mod movement coupled with the working class nature of the people. they original wore Doc Martins because they were practical.

It's a bit outdated, but a good watch if you have an hour to kill.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8346331777862222581#

Didn't bother to read any of the previous posts, but here's an easy breakdown.

Traditionals like vespas, reggae, and shitty english beer. They also would rather work hard for their money and usually are pretty normal dudes.

ARA (Non-racist skins) like to beat up people under the guise of being righteous.

Nazi's co-oped the uniform to further their cause.

Skins originated in the UK in the late 60's early 70's and often ended up in violent clashes with Indians and other immigrants because they were for National Pride and more importantly, they and their parents were losing jobs to foreigners (not to mention poor, near depression times in England), which is when the nazi movement moved in and cooped it.

Find the book "Spirit of '69: A skinhead Bible" for a bit more depth.

And yes it is still relevant when people still consider themselves traditionals but are constantly met with misinformed people who think they are nazis.