Nine Inch Nails: "Steal away..."

jhulud

Nine Inch Nails: Steal away, and give it to your friends

From Punknews.org:

In case some of you didn't get the message from his previous actions, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor came out at a recent show complaining again about what he calls the "greed" of record companies. He asked the audience if prices for his band's album were too high and when they replied, he said:

"Steal it. Steal away and steal some more. Steal it and then give to your friends. Keep on stealing."

Reznor has been at the forefront of digital distribution online, making not just singles from his album available but high quality GarageBand-compatible files to encourage remixing. He then took his favorite remixes and made them available on file sharing networks using BitTorrent.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5iHaV0dP4

they're all ripping off everyone all the time. the evidence continues to pile up that cd's are dead.

I agree. Completely. I used to only buy cd's, and I was proud to have a large collection of music that I actually purchased. However, at this point, and for a few years, I've realized I only think vinyl is worth the money. I download alot of music now.

well his contract is up with interscope after his next release, and i know he's talked about a few times. he's really anxious to leave the label, so i assume doing something on his own again is a pretty good possibility.

The next release scheduled is a Year Zero remix album. That one could be the last one under contract with Interscope.

If Trent does end up leaving Interscope and re-starting Nothing (which would be great), he would have no problem self-releasing all and any new material. He has always been very outspoken and supportive of online media and distribution. And he has a solid fanbase who will still support him and his music.