Gerard Way condemns "emo" (HILARITY)

Gerard Way is funny. My band had the good fortune to open for them a couple of years ago in Denver.

anyhoo.....I was in the back tearing down my drums when I hear what can only be described as a dying seagull crossed with the oh way oh way vocal line from "The Rythym Is Gonna Get You" by the Miami Sound Machine.

He was doing his "Vocal Warmups".

It was pure hell having to listen to that.

I actually thought the new MCR album was the only tolerable one -- well 40% of it anyways.

that's because they just became a queen cover band for an album. can't go wrong that way.

I don't get people comparing this band to Queen. Like, at all. First off, they don't even belong in the same category, music-wise OR talent-wise. Second, Freddie would bitch slap the taste out of that whiny little twat's mouth.

that's because they just became a queen cover band for an album. can't go wrong that way.

I don't get people comparing this band to Queen. Like, at all. First off, they don't even belong in the same category, music-wise OR talent-wise. Second, Freddie would bitch slap the taste out of that whiny little twat's mouth.

i didn't say they pulled it off i just said they tried. they're not in the same galaxy as queen but neither are most cover bands. the black parade was MCR's best attempt at sounding like Queen.

i didn't say they pulled it off i just said they tried. they're not in the same galaxy as queen but neither are most cover bands. the black parade was MCR's best attempt at sounding like Queen.

See, I don't even think that it sounds remotely like Queen, or that they were even trying to. I think those comparisons got started by idiotic music "journalists" who don't know a goddamn thing about music in the first place.

It probably all started when Gerard & Co. made the asinine comment that they wanted the new record to be as grandiose and operatic as Queen's music...then it all went downhill form there by music journalists and their need to categorize everything is music to make it "easier" for the masses to consume. I wouldn't be surprised if some schmuck writer described the new album with the tagline: "If you like Queen's 'A Night at the Opera', then you'll love 'The Black Parade'!"...or something idiotic in its comparison like that.

Ok...I'm off my soapbox now.

It probably all started when Gerard & Co. made the asinine comment that they wanted the new record to be as grandiose and operatic as Queen's music...then it all went downhill form there by music journalists and their need to categorize everything is music to make it "easier" for the masses to consume. I wouldn't be surprised if some schmuck writer described the new album with the tagline: "If you like Queen's 'A Night at the Opera', then you'll love 'The Black Parade'!"...or something idiotic in its comparison like that.

Ok...I'm off my soapbox now.

To be completely honest with both of you I heard it for myself and made those connections on my own. That said any time anyone does anything grandiose I immediately think of Queen.

I think it has to do mostly with thier horribly failed approach to write many of the songs in an anthematic, epic sort of way, much like Queen. The music itself, and especially the vocals, do no justice to the comparison, and neither does the final outcome of the album. I haven't heard it a whole lot, so my statement may be a bit off, but it's the impression I got from a first listen. However, I find myself thinking that a couple of tracks from Dog Problems have a prominent Queen feel at times, if it was on purpose, they succeeded.

Oh yeah, the guys in Rites of Spring, Embrace, Indian Summer, et al we're quite self-absorbed and over-dramatic.

Emo isn't pop-punk, it never became that, its never been that. What the mainstream bastardization is has nothing to do with reality. Just like bands like Ratt and Dokken were not Heavy Metal bands.

Amen, brother. A lot of kids are too young to remember what real "emo" was. It's not Taking Back Sunday, or Say Anything, or Thrice, and it's certainly not My Chemical Romance.

Anyone who thinks Say Anything is emo is never going to be taken seriously.

Amen, brother. A lot of kids are too young to remember what real "emo" was. It's not Taking Back Sunday, or Say Anything, or Thrice, and it's certainly not My Chemical Romance.

Anyone who thinks Say Anything is emo is never going to be taken seriously.

At some point people were calling Death Cab and Coheed & Cambria emo bands. That hurt my head.