Gerard Way condemns "emo" (HILARITY)

Per punknews.org

"Apparently sick of being grouped in with "emo," My Chemical Romance frontman recently lashed out against "emo" in a recent interview:

Basically, it's never been accurate to describe us. Emo bands were being booked while we were touring with Christian metal bands because no one would book us on tours. I think emo is F--ing garbage, it's bulls--. I think there's bands that unfortunately we get lumped in with that are considered emo and by default that starts to make us emo. All I can say is anyone actually listening to the records, put the records next to each other and listen to them and there's actually no similarities. I think emo's a pile of s--."

Listen to your own shitty music, bro.

if you listen closely, you can hear millions of 13 year olds weep as they feel they have just been betrayed by their hero.

in all seriousness, this is your typical "even though we are the exact definition of what has become, we claim that we're not in an effort to disenfranchise ourselves from the coattails we rode in on" type of statement that many bands of their popularity find themselves saying once the tag is no longer accepted by popular culture or has a more negative effect than it does positive.

One of the comments in the Punknews.org thread made me chuckle:

"MCR is the poster child for emo though. I don't see how they don't fit in with the emo crowd when they essentially define everything it is; overly dramatic, self-absorbed, superfluous whining with little point beyond getting some attention.

STFU emo boys and learn your place."

"MCR is the poster child for emo though. I don't see how they don't fit in with the emo crowd when they essentially define everything it is; overly dramatic, self-absorbed, superfluous whining with little point beyond getting some attention.

Oh yeah, the guys in Rites of Spring, Embrace, Indian Summer, et al we're quite self-absorbed and over-dramatic.

Emo isn't pop-punk, it never became that, its never been that. What the mainstream bastardization is has nothing to do with reality. Just like bands like Ratt and Dokken were not Heavy Metal bands.

Oh yeah, the guys in Rites of Spring, Embrace, Indian Summer, et al we're quite self-absorbed and over-dramatic.

Emo isn't pop-punk, it never became that, its never been that. What the mainstream bastardization is has nothing to do with reality. Just like bands like Ratt and Dokken were not Heavy Metal bands.

Amen, brother. A lot of kids are too young to remember what real "emo" was. It's not Taking Back Sunday, or Say Anything, or Thrice, and it's certainly not My Chemical Romance.

i just finished 'everybody hurts' by lestie taylor.it's a good book for emo kids.

i think this book is good and i'm not an emo kid.

i like that book because it will tell you what's emo and how emo is.

anyway,many points on that book are ridiculous and hilarious but it can educate emo kids as well....

Amen, brother. A lot of kids are too young to remember what real "emo" was. It's not Taking Back Sunday, or Say Anything, or Thrice, and it's certainly not My Chemical Romance.

I'm only 20, but I find myself being prideful over sharing this opinion. I'm really no snob, it's just that I prefer to be able to connect to people through this understanding of the genre. I've seen MCR three times unintentionally and it was awful every fucking time. The first was the worst though. He was wearing a leather jacket with only one sleeve and was on stage defending himself about how he's just had it so long that a sleeve ripped off. A hundred bucks says he just thought it looked cool and realized it wasn't. Oh, and it was the summer.

I've given up on trying to 'educate' people on what emo is. It's like if everyone started saying the color 'blue' is really 'orange'. At what point does perception become truth?

I really like a lot of the bands that started emo down this path, too - a lot of the bands that could arguably called 'emo' (most of them were post-hardcore bands). I'm big into Far and Texas Is The Reason and that sort of stuff. I still remember when people said Shai Hulud was emocore. I love Jimmy Eat World, and I like TGUK, and they're definitely responsible for it. Even back then people were saying 'this isn't emo, Rites of Spring is'. It's really disheartening to hear people saying all this other shit I just don't understand or relate to is 'emo', like MCR and such.

But whatever. Aside from linking people to fourfa.com, I've pretty much given up the fight. I just don't care that much anymore, as disheartening as it is, that doesn't take away from how I feel about that music and ethos.