Voice in the Wire: Reunion Show / LP news

[image]

In 2003, after some lineup changes, Pittsburgh DIY punk staples Teddy Duchamp’s Army decided to change their name. Voice In The Wire was born. The band spent the next few months crafting a new arsenal of songs and in the early part of 2004 they isolated themselves in an upstate New York recording studio and created their Eyeball Records debut “Signals In Transmission”

In September of the same year the album was finally released. With a commitment to taking their music as far as they could they immediately began a relentless touring schedule. The next 8 months saw the band logging countless miles on the road hopping from tour to tour sharing the stage with bands like Paint it Black, 7 Seconds, The Loved Ones, None More Black, Murder by Death amoung others. When out of nowhere the guys found themselves stranded out west with a broken down van, debts piling up by the day and a bass player short of a lineup. Life came knocking hard for a few of the guys and at home responsibilities took precedence. The guys decided to put the band on the backburner and focus on other things. August 2005 saw the last performance of VITW alongside good friends Kid Dynamite to a sold out crowd at one of the final shows ever at New York City’s legendary club CBGB’s.

Almost 5 years later the members of VITW had the itch to play music together again. Conversations started about the possibility of doing a show when old touring companions and also newly reunited None More Black contacted them about wanting to do a show in Pittsburgh, they couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity to take the stage together again.

Friday February 26th, 2010 Voice In The Wire will rock together. After hearing news of the reunion, longtime friend and fan Justin Schwier, founder of Underground Communiqué Records (a DIY record label out of Chicago, IL) contacted the band.

“I'm still kind of bummed that not enough people got to hear the record or see the band live, myself included (I only saw them live once as VITW).

Here's how it goes:

I randomly ran into Mike Rock at the Fest 8 in Gainesville. He tells me the band is thinking about doing a reunion show in Pittsburgh in 2010. Awesome, I'm stoked on the possibility of seeing them again (and knowing the songs a whole lot better).

A few weeks later I get a message from Mike: The show is on.

Fuck Yes! Instantly the gears start turning in my head; I bring up the idea of making it REALLY special and ask about the idea of doing a vinyl version of this record for the show, give it added purpose: celebrate this really great album they created too.

Mike got the OK from Eyeball, so here we are, I can't tell you how proud I am to type this sentence: In honor of this reunion show, I'm going to release the Voice in the Wire album "Signals in Transmission" on vinyl on Underground Communique Records. And yes, we'll have this in time for the show.

To me, these facts remain: The record still holds up. I still love this record. I still tell people to check this record out and I've loved these dudes since I met them years ago when my terrible band played with Teddy Duchamp's Army at the Fireside Bowl. They crashed at my house and even planned to record a Pegboy cover and be on the Pegboy Tribute album that I eventually put out (another thing lost to them breaking up). So all these years later, I still keep in touch with Mike and Zach and I'm just stoked I can help out and maybe help shed a little light on a great record that didn't get it's due.

So we're gonna do this with the help of Eyeball Records and Lock and Key Collective to celebrate the reunion.” – Justin Schwier Underground Communique Records.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. you should post here more often because there are a lot of really genuinely great regulars on here...

and

2. I believe there may be more to come after this depending on how well things go, or perhaps on Saturday in Pittsburgh?, I don't know.

Zach is a professor at Columbia College in Chicago...don't expect a tour, but...who knows...

Zach Furness, i can't remember what he teaches. dude rules though.

I will not be taking class with him next semester, but I'll definitely look into it.

How many professors have plugs and and lots of tattoos and look like they're way into no Idea bands?

also...ha!!!:

http://www.colum.edu/Academics/Humanities_History_and_Social_Sciences/faculty/Zack_Furness.php

I will not be taking class with him next semester, but I'll definitely look into it.

How many professors have plugs and and lots of tattoos and look like they're way into no Idea bands?

also...ha!!!:

http://www.colum.edu/Academics/Humanities_History_and_Social_Sciences/faculty/Zack_Furness.php

haha thats awesome! I may just have to transfer into one of his classes.

hey all, Mike from VITW, first off thanks for the kind words!

we are really really stoked to play, and crazy excited about doing the record with justin!

the show will be at garfield artworks in pittsburgh, and after some talking with the dudes, if all goes as planned there may be some other stuff to come, who knows? i really wanna play the fest again! and i wanna play overseas! but lets not get ahead of ourselves here,...