how indicative of larry arms is oh calcutta?

Before I go nuts and pick-up other Larry Arms record I figured I'd just throw this up to get a collective opinion. I dig Oh! Calcutta! a good amount and figured checking out other Larry Arm's stuff would make sense so long as Calcutta isn't a departure from what the band "normally" sounds like.

Thanks!

Oh! Calcutta! is definitely more aggressive than a typical Larry Arms release, I think -- it also has a lot of dual-vocal singing, where the majority of previous TLA stuff is just either Brendan or Chris singing, not both at the same time. "The Greatest Story Ever Told" is generally viewed as their best record; I'd get that, then get "Cocktails & Dreams," their EPs/B-sides/rarities collection (it has what is probably their all-time best song on it, "Quincentuple Your Money").

I have the three albums on Fat. On the other two Fat albums, there is a much bigger distinction between the bassist's songs and the guitarist's songs. I hate the guitarist's songs on those albums. Oh Calcutta is easily my favorite because the whole album sounds like the bass player's songs to me. Fast and punkish. The guitarist's songs are bland and boring to me.

But I am a casual fan. People go apeshit for this band and they love all the songs. Just my opinion

when you think of Oh Calcutta, you think of the Falcon.

Greatest Story... too slow and a little too serious for me, i feel. my least favorite fat release. i could never really get completely into it. however, i'm beginning to warm up to it. (note that i picked up this album a couple years ago, but didnt give it too many spins until about 8 months ago)

Apathy is a great record. i guess you can call it a less focused Greatest Story, but the songs on here have just as many hooks and some classic numbers. i think i just like the songs better on here. they just sound tighter and more serious on Greatest Story

all of that was super repetitive

wow, i'm a little surprised here. "the greatest story ever told" is one of my top 15 albums ever. i didn't realize people weren't that into it.

also, i LOVE chris' songs. if i were to make a mix tape out of his songs versus a mix tape of brendan's i'm pretty sure chris' would be twice as long.

also, i don't really like "quincentuple your money". i'd take any other of the first five songs from cocktails and dreams over that one.

Oh! Calcutta! is definitely more aggressive than a typical Larry Arms release, I think -- it also has a lot of dual-vocal singing, where the majority of previous TLA stuff is just either Brendan or Chris singing, not both at the same time. "The Greatest Story Ever Told" is generally viewed as their best record; I'd get that, then get "Cocktails & Dreams," their EPs/B-sides/rarities collection (it has what is probably their all-time best song on it, "Quincentuple Your Money").

Top Serious. I cannot listen to Quincentuple Your Money without crying. One of the most beautiful punk songs ever.