anybody here work for a publishing company?

see, i don't even know how to go about doing something like this. mine is (at least in my own mind) going to be a coffee-table-ish book that's extremely reliant on photography and high-resolution color images. i'm not sure if that's something i have the means to publish on my own?

really i'm just trying to figure out exactly what it would take to make my book happen.

see, i don't even know how to go about doing something like this. mine is (at least in my own mind) going to be a coffee-table-ish book that's extremely reliant on photography and high-resolution color images. i'm not sure if that's something i have the means to publish on my own?

really i'm just trying to figure out exactly what it would take to make my book happen.

if that's what you are going for, i might be able to help you. i might have to do a little research and ask my friend since its been a while, but my friend put out a photography book with some text on every other page and he went through a place that does that rather cheap. Mind you it was cheap for photography books, so you know how that expensive those are.. he wound up making about 20 books and came out with about $100 profit. I think they averaged out to about $30 a piece with 100pgs high res hard bound. I may be wrong as it's been a few years. I can give you a few places to go.

edit: meanwhile you can always go here: http://www.blurb.com. i've seen a few books come out of this place and they are pricey but really good quality if you decide on going through them.

you can get a minimum of 1 if you'd like. which is kinda neat.

awesome, justin, i'll definitely give you a call!

and mike, yeah, if you have a few places in mind, that'd be great. i would have a TON of work to do before i am even close to being ready to have things published, i'm just in the stage of "is this even worth it to pursue?"

any and all information/help you guys have for me is much appreciated.

<3

Yeah I'm sure you can get it done relatively on the cheap, my friend Chris works at a design firm where they just do book layouts so he could potentially be "hired" to lay everything out and be printer-ready...just be a matter of finding a printer that could do what you have in mind.

awesome, justin, i'll definitely give you a call!

and mike, yeah, if you have a few places in mind, that'd be great. i would have a TON of work to do before i am even close to being ready to have things published, i'm just in the stage of "is this even worth it to pursue?"

any and all information/help you guys have for me is much appreciated.

<3

yea, the thing is it is a ton of work. i had to layout a tattoo book for some artists that got together to get a book printed. it was like 90 pages and a bitch. Mainly due to the fact that i couldn't get any info besides pics from them. no forward, index, etc etc.. took me like 3 months to get the info to finish it, then half of them got fired from the shop and they just decided not to do it.. i never got paid either.. assholes.

There are ups and downs to doing it DIY and going through a publisher.

Publishing something yourself is probably easier than ever before, considering there are "one stop shops" for that sort of thing now. It's a matter of creating the work, editing it, doing the layout, having it printed up, and getting it distributed (each step, easier said than done). People do it all the time.

There are politics to the publishing industry, just like there are to the recording industry. Maybe you could look around, pitch any ideas you have, but in the end it's a matter of calculated risk, just like bands deciding if they want to sign with a label. I say, start doing the hard labor now, and worry about that shit when it becomes necessary.

And Dan...I say, no matter how much work it looks like, you either have to figure "This is something I HAVE to do in my life," or "I don't care enough about it to put the work in." If it's something that's been on your mind, go the hell for it! The worst that will happen is you might lose some money.

I'm trying to be encouraging about this...I've had an idea for a 7" with an accompanying book for a while...my life has just been mixed up with other priorities for the moment... blech.

my supervisor at work's son-in-law just published a book about a punk/hardcore club from the 80s/90s in connecticut. i'll ask her where he got everything done!

do you know which one? i'd be interested in this!

anthrax club!

http://www.anthraxclubbook.com/

it's funny, cuz i started a new position a couple months ago and i put up some posters from b9 in my cube and she started talking about her straight edge son-in-law when she found out that i'm edge and we're into the same music. what are the odds? haha.

she gave me a signed copy of the book for christmas and i have yet to read it (cuz i got it yesterday) but it looks really interesting and well done!

do you know which one? i'd be interested in this!

anthrax club!

http://www.anthraxclubbook.com/

it's funny, cuz i started a new position a couple months ago and i put up some posters from b9 in my cube and she started talking about her straight edge son-in-law when she found out that i'm edge and we're into the same music. what are the odds? haha.

she gave me a signed copy of the book for christmas and i have yet to read it (cuz i got it yesterday) but it looks really interesting and well done!

looks totally awesome, i'm gonna have to invest into this! it was before my time, but i'm well aware of the Anthrax. I also always forget that before Moby was Moby, he was juts a hardcore kid from Darien CT.