Ever think about selling your entire collection?

dont think i would... look at the money yr gonna make off them compared to what you spent. maybe it'll make you a few bucks, but to spend years collecting and pay off a couple months worth of bills and ultimately be left with nothing is a pretty depressing idea.

i don't like the current level of consumerism involved in vinyl collecting right now, but loving music and art should never go out of style.

i'm actually considering selling about 1500 cds on half.com, after realizing that i havent listened to the format in about 3 years and im even having trouble deciding what i can and cant part with at a personal level.

defiantly agree with you about the whole some are worth a ton now and wont be worth anything later.

ive sold a few like that just cause i needed money, and the band wasnt something i would really want to hold on to for my future, so i sold em

but there are definitely a few i will never sell, just to hold onto for when im all grown up and goin through my midlife crisis haha, and one of the main reasons i want to keep my collection is so i can show my kids what i listened to and hopefully they will enjoy them

The last record I sold was a few months ago I sold my Green Rage EP which for hardcore collectors especially the vegan straight edge variety was a real treat. I sold it for 15 and I donated 25% to the Sea Sheppard Conservation Society. I originally bought it probably 4 years ago and paid about 45. Well I decided that I didn't listen to it enough to justify having it. I didn't even need the money. But I kid you not the minute it left my hand I was already filled with remorse. So after that moment I said FUCK THAAAAT

end of story

And when I'm broke, I sell the ones I don't want and use that money on buying more records. (a horrible cycle if u ask me) There's just a twisted pleasure I get when I come home from work to find a record sitting on my front door. I just feel like for a moment, all the troubles go away and I don't have to deal with all the stress from school/work when I'm at home, listening intently, spinning the record I just received.

This is what I guess inspires and keeps 90% of the people who collect vinyl still collecting is that feeling you just summed up. If you have a shitty day at work...well you might have music that makes you remember what it all means waiting for you at home.

If it was ever important to you in your life you should hang onto it.

The last record I sold was a few months ago I sold my Green Rage EP which for hardcore collectors especially the vegan straight edge variety was a real treat. I sold it for 15 and I donated 25% to the Sea Sheppard Conservation Society. I originally bought it probably 4 years ago and paid about 45. Well I decided that I didn't listen to it enough to justify having it. I didn't even need the money. But I kid you not the minute it left my hand I was already filled with remorse. So after that moment I said FUCK THAAAAT

end of story

That's one I can't imagine ever selling. I love that 7". Only paid about $3 or $4 for my copy too!

It seems like almost everybody has somewhat the same mindset.... It's easy to get rid of some, but never all. Some is always easy to get rid of because there is always going to be some record that you could care less about.... but when you have that emotional attachment to a handful of records, it's hard to let it go. Records are only worth what the supply and demand for them are. Just simple economics.

I have felt exactly like you do. I've deffinetly sold some records cause I NEEDED the money and others cause I just thought I needed the money. I regret some and others I couldn't care less about. I think what really makes it apparent that you shouldn't sell your records is when you talked about the feeling of seeing a new record on your doorstep at the end of a long day. When you're stuck in the grind of work/school and kinda feeling shitty about stuff those little pleasures go a long way to keeping you sane. I know that after I finish school and get completly out of debt I'm going to sell everything I own and just travel the world. For me that traveling is worth selling my whole collection eventually just not right now. I think what it comes down to is where you are right now, where you want to be in the future and what's your plan to get there. Unless it's absolutely necessary to sell the entire collection now don't do it you will probably regret it. Pick out some stuff that worth a decent amount of money that you could do without and sell that to help you out in the short run.

Records with special memories (rare or not...) always meant more to me than owning a Chung King some day or whatever.....I have sold many records over they years but I def. BETRAYED some decisions....For example I would never ever sell my Death Threat - Peace & Security LP again.....If I would be in a bad situation I would sell current records first because most of them will be available again.......If I will spend some bucks on it I will always find the Philly cover of the Loved Ones - build and burn on Ebay or in here but I know there are a few punk/hardcore records you could get for cheapo prices but I will never find em again.....