Ever think about selling your entire collection?

I was just curious about what everyone thought about this.

I love collecting records. (especially when they're rare) It makes things more fun and being able to just sit at your room while listening to a record while it's spinning is way different than having it come out of your computer speakers while you read some music forum or something. The experience is so much different. And I feel like having a record collection is way different than your standard cd collection. But at the same time, when I think about how much money I've put into collecting these things.... it's hard for me to justify everything. There are a couple records I've spent 100+ on and i'm sure other's have as well.... I just think that I'm so broke all the time, if I sold all my records I'd make back so much money. And half the time when I do have money, that money will go into more records....until i'm broke. And when I'm broke, I sell the ones I don't want and use that money on buying more records. (a horrible cycle if u ask me) There's just a twisted pleasure I get when I come home from work to find a record sitting on my front door. I just feel like for a moment, all the troubles go away and I don't have to deal with all the stress from school/work when I'm at home, listening intently, spinning the record I just received. I always have this debate with myself because I think in like 10-20 years, none of these expensive records will be worth half that price. Some will, but most won't. I probably won't care about a stupid record collection and my music taste will probably change to the point where I won't even be listening to any of the shit I listened to in college... (not too long ago my favorite bands were brand new, get up kids, ataris and now it's radiohead, appleseed cast, animal collective) I always just had this ideal that when I die, the only thing that I'll have that's from my past is a nice record collection, but I'm starting to think that with all these money issues going on in my life right now..... it's probably not even worth it. I'd hate to sell my entire collection, but at somepoint.... I feel like I eventually will....

Thought about it once, sold off most of it, then took a break for a while. I ended up really bummed that I sold a few records I couldn't get back and now I'm more into collecting than ever. If need be, you should definitely take a break from buying records but, speaking from experience, you either do it cold turkey or you never really let go.

Personally I'm glad that I didn't sell my whole collection. It's my favorite thing to do now.

I will never sell my entire collection.

I am with this guy, even though I can empathize with the OP being bummed about being broke. I did some quick number crunching though, and realized that I sold $380 (after fees) worth of vinyl this year via the boards, which is pretty snazzy.

Guest kissthesharks

I recently had to start selling off a chunk of my collection, but I doubt I could do a "selling entire list make offers" thing. I went from 150 to 120 and it's killing me :S

Guest kissthesharks

Yeah, I only sold the good chunk b/c of transitioning between jobs. I just got a good job at a coffee shop so you better believe i'm buying a shit ton of records in the near future!

Thought about it once, sold off most of it, then took a break for a while. I ended up really bummed that I sold a few records I couldn't get back and now I'm more into collecting than ever. If need be, you should definitely take a break from buying records but, speaking from experience, you either do it cold turkey or you never really let go.

Personally I'm glad that I didn't sell my whole collection. It's my favorite thing to do now.

3miles , i would take to heart what daniel says here as i think he said it best , if you need money sell some of your records ,but i would keep some .

totally.

possessions can seriously weigh you down. man -i bought renters' insurance last year. what the fuck is that? i have to pay rent on my empty apartment when i go on tour just 'cause it'd be more trouble than it's worth to move all of my crap out and find a place to store it. shit's weak.

with that said, i haven't made any kind of a move to get rid of my records (or CDs or tapes) yet. don't know if i ever will, but i'm not ruling it out.

I lost my job, got trouble with the last payment, I want to release a fanzine and a 7inch etc.... BUT I would never sell records that are 100% NUTS in my eyes! I do not spend so much money/ trades to sell everything again! I always had bad jobs but I kept the money flowing with Ebay deals.... But right now I am running out of rare double sneakers or vinyl....

By the way 100 PERCENT WORD to the user Daniel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've just lost my job for the first time since i've been collecting records, and i have to say the pressure is pretty strong... i know that if i don't find a new source of money soon i'm going to have to start selling things, and if it's not records it'll be my guitar, or something else cherished... but i can totally get behind the op, especially that whole getting home and finding a record on your doorstep vibe...

We always get caught up in hype sometimes, and by records we normally wouldn't,

but sell our collection no,

the last few days I have sold some of my colored FAT stuff but only for $15.00 because I know that someone will enjoy the color version better as a collectible, and normally I buy the black one later on.

I remember when I moved, before kids and a wife, I was flat broke and I sold some stuff I will never find or see again, FAT 7 inch club etc. However in the end, by the time I shipped it, I just spent the money on more dumb shit, that I thought I needed.

Not everything, however when i am in dire need for cash i will sell off records that are "worth" alot and then replace those rare records with standard copies (black/more common pressing).

I usually sell rare records from bands that i dont actively "collect".

i would ever get rid of my entire collection.

I sold a few hundred records over the course of 2 years starting in 2004. I used that cash to buy records that I really wanted. I changed my whole focus on collecting at that point. Switched from buying rare records just because they were rare, to buying every record I could find from Long Island and New York bands in the 90s. These are the bands I love. I think selling what you don't love is really easy. No matter how crazy of a collector you are.