What is a "scene kid"?

jhulud

A friend recently asked me that via a text message but couldn't answer. Too long and involved I am sure.

Is there any place that would give a definition of what a scene kid would be?...Obviously the more smartass the definition the better. Or if you guys have any of your own.

Bring it!

Guest falloutcollapse

A boy/girl (normally you can't tell the difference) with big, teased hair. They sport eyeliner or guyliner in massive amounts. They dye streaks of obnoxious yellow on their bangs (banana streaks.) They exclusively use T-Mobile Sidekicks, because they need to stay connected on their Myspace 24/7. They have about 6,000 friends on Myspace that all look the same as them. Lip piercings are accepted, but not a must, preferably snake bites. Their pants are so tight that they look ready to rip at any moment, with an awkward-colored bandana hanging out of a back pocket. They tie this bandana around their face when they "dance" at all the "hardcore" shows. They gauge their ears out reasonably, and obsess over the same things their 7 year old brothers do (dinosaurs, Power Rangers.)

aka, My friends.

hahaha IM JUST JOKING.

big d and the kids table - scenester

i see them everywhere, wondering what's next

and i think it's kind of fun seein' them walk around downtown

and they got the new band records

and they want everyone to check 'em

want everyone to see that they did it first

want everyone to know

want everyone to care

but it's fun when we don't care, so i tell them like this

oh no, oh no, here we go again

it's the life of the perfect scenester

and now they listen to emotional music

when they used to like PUNKROCK

or maybe now they like chump rock

and swore they never liked punk

and they always talk about shows

but i never see 'em

and when i do they're just bummin'

still haven't figured out that

and we just can't wait for what they got next

and they do it for the girls

yes they do it for the girls

but it's all the wrong girls in control of them

don't worry about anyone else

the best people are themselves

and we don't think you know yourself

apparently the whole bandana in the back pocket thing used to be a code for gay sex back in the 70's. depending on which pocket its in means their either a top or a bottom and the different colours stood for different things...like red was for fisting, brown was for icky stuff, yellow for 'watersports', etc.

it's totally wild: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandana_code

EDIT: whoops, coded wrong.

Guest falloutcollapse
apparently the whole bandana in the back pocket thing used to be a code for gay sex back in the 70's. depending on which pocket its in means their either a top or a bottom and the different colours stood for different things...like red was for fisting, brown was for icky stuff, yellow for 'watersports', etc.

it's totally wild: [image]

It's all making sense...

no way, that's crazy.

and you just happen to know this?

Guest falloutcollapse
falloutcollapse

hahaha. i kid, i kid.

That actually made me laugh pretty hard.

SMITE SMITE SMITE SMITE. Nah, we'll just see who's laughing when I have the Saves the Day test ;)

Having friends who are gay, I'm the last person to be gay-bashing or promote anything that does. But this video is funny as hell b/c it shows, or rather mocks, how ridiculous the whole "scene" is and the so-called "emo" trend.

And I agree...when I hear the word emo, I think of bands like Split Lip/Chamberlain, Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring, Promise Ring, and Joshua. Not the new shit that is being portrayed as such.

Having friends who are gay, I'm the last person to be gay-bashing or promote anything that does. But this video is funny as hell b/c it shows, or rather mocks, how ridiculous the whole "scene" is and the so-called "emo" trend.

And I agree...when I hear the word emo, I think of bands like Split Lip/Chamberlain, Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring, Promise Ring, and Joshua. Not the new shit that is being portrayed as such.

haha, no i know you meant no harm by it, dude. i think that video has its moments, but i dont think the homophobia in it is very fair!!

Guest falloutcollapse

A new thing I'm seeing a lot are kids that don't shower ever, so there hair looks hella greasy. They only wear basketball shorts and 5950 flat-rim hats, and love "2-steps and breakdowns." Playlist: Devil Wears Prada, As Blood Runs Black, Job for a Cowboy, and Suicide Silence. I really thought it was only my best friend that was like that, but when we went to Sounds of the Underground, it was like there were 20,000 of him.