Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre

After one full listen, I think the first disc has some great songs on it, but doesn't carry any momentum. It has too many different styles mixed in to do so. The second disc is much more cohesive than the first. It felt more like an album. I thought the second disc was better mainly for this reason, but the songs are well developed and fit together. The lyrics, as expected are awesome. Bemis sticks with is grotesque phrasing, but talks about more positive situations for the most part. Good record. I think its going to take more listens to let this one soak in though.

What do you think?

after only one listen of the whole thing, I liked the first disc more, and thought the 2nd was a little boring. I'm not a huge fan of double discs, it's a whole lot of music to digest at once. I also think it makes it harder to just "throw on an album."

Totally agree

Guest falloutcollapse
This is just a bunch of songs. So disappointing. But Anthony Green is on 'Hangover Song,' so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Don't be, it's the worst thing on the album easily, its about a minute, so it's not even a real song, i'm dissapointed on that.

the others are great!!

Anthony Green + Throw-up noises = My immature ass is happy.

this is one band that ill continue to fail to understand the appeal/hype. ive listened to this band countless times since the majority of my friends are in love with the band and i just dont get it. ive seen them live about 3 times just before they got hugely sploog inducing and it just didnt do it for me. something about the dudes voice annoys me. every word just seems to be over emphasized like a high school drama kid. to top it off this new album isnt even catchy to me. the way people talk about this band i almost feel bad for myself that maybe im missing something but instead ill just scratch my head in disbelief.

It is really strange that almost everyone that has responded doesn't like them. I didn't like them when I first heard them before they put out their first record either, but I saw them open for Thrice and Dashboard and they blew me away. I picked up their For Sale... EP and listened to it probably 500 times. I loved it. Is a Real Boy came out and I loved it even more than the EP. So, I had pretty high expectations of this record, and I feel like it isn't as good as Is a Real Boy, but it still has some great songs on it.

Guest falloutcollapse
It is really strange that almost everyone that has responded doesn't like them. I didn't like them when I first heard them before they put out their first record either, but I saw them open for Thrice and Dashboard and they blew me away. I picked up their For Sale... EP and listened to it probably 500 times. I loved it. Is a Real Boy came out and I loved it even more than the EP. So, I had pretty high expectations of this record, and I feel like it isn't as good as Is a Real Boy, but it still has some great songs on it.

I love ...Is A Real Boy. It is one of my all-time favorite CD's. I just haven't given this one enough spins to judge it.