Outer Poly Sleeve Size and Type Questions

I was looking at bagsunlimited to purchase some outer sleeves for the first time (prior to this I just got what the local record store gave me), and I was wondering what sizes people use. Also, do people use resealable, non-resealable but with a flap, or no flap/resealability? Finally do people use polyethylene, polypropylene, or mylar (polyester).

Size options (excluding mylar)

For 12":

12-3/4 x 12-3/4

or

12-5/8 x 12-5/8

in 1.5 to 6mil thickness

For 7"

7-1/4 x 7-1/4

or

7-1/2 x 7-1/4

in same thicknesses.

If people use mylar, do you use the smaller or larger size (and with or without a flap)?

My question pertains to long-term display storage, records frequently played, and records that are stored in boxes.

I did do searches, but had no luck. If there is an older thread on this than I apologize.

Do people recommend something different altogether than what bagsunlimited has?

To address one of your questions...I used resealable covers for years and loved them. On my LPs and 7"s, no problems at all...they looked clean and kept any dust from getting at them.

Then one day one of my album covers accidentally touched the sticky part.........and fucked me up royally. Now I am trying to phase out of them. I just don't trust them anymore.

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Keep up the replies.

Banned-Thanks for the info. I was fearing something happening to them because of the sticky. Would you care to elaborate on what happened to you?

headtowall-I have the same issue.

scotterson-Thanks for the info on size/reasoning for getting the larger ones. I'm looking to order 200 7" sleeves and 100 12" sleeves for now, so I really don't want to have to order another 100 because some didn't fit. Do the single LP's fit in them well too?

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Keep up the replies.

Banned-Thanks for the info. I was fearing something happening to them because of the sticky. Would you care to elaborate on what happened to you?

The sticky part touched the cover and ripped some of it off. A nasty long line of damage on the front cover. I'm just thankful it wasn't something I was really in love with.

Thanks for the elaboration Banned, and yep that code is why I was going to give them a shot right now, but thanks for linking me to it. I appreciate it.

Does anyone have any opinion on size for the 7"'s?

Also, what would you recommend for 7" box sets (~1+" thick. For instance, to hold the Motion City Soundtrack deluxe set http://www.bluecollardistro.com/motioncitysoundtrack/product_info.php?products_id=3866&cPath=2_176&store= )

^^ Does bagsunlimited carry 7" box set outer sleeves? Last time I ordered from them they didn't.

You could try www.squaredealonline.com - they have 12" box set sleeves, they may have 7" ones. They will also send you free samples of anything to make sure it fits. Just call them or email. I got some 12" box set ones that worked for some - but only the sets that were no more than 3/4 of an inch thick - so keep that in mind.

mattstrike-bagsunlimited does not. Thank you for the link you sent me. They do not either (7" Outersleeves - Polyethylene - 3 mil - Oversize 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" is the closest they have), but it is still a site I can check out. Thank you also for the 12" box set info. The few 12" sets I have are ~3/4 inch thick so it will be close for those.

AShannon-That one so far seems to be the one that fits what most people here have said.

Justin-Thank you. I've been convinced. No flaps except for those that I intend to display, or are otherwise not going to be spun often.

so I really don't want to have to order another 100 because some didn't fit. Do the single LP's fit in them well too?

Gotta get those SLIM FIT LP bags. Unless it's a gatefold or thick 2xLP those fit nicely. I hate those loose ass bags.

^This. Single, non-gatefold jackets will fit in the larger ones, but they will be loose. I still would probably go with the bigger ones for now. I would rather all my records have bags than some not and the other ones fit better. You can always switch them out later.

I have plenty of the big bags because the Call Me Lightning record I pressed with Pirates Press all come in gigantic bags so I always switch them out with a new slim fit bag whenever I need a big one.

Though those LPs are running pretty low at this point, so I should probably just switch ALL of them now so I have those for later.

Thanks for the info forge and scotterson. I'll probably get the bigger ones so all my records have sleeves for now, but in my next purchase I will definitely pick up the smaller ones and switch them out if needed.

Anyone have a preference on 7" sleeve size? Or info on where to get box set 7" sleeves?